It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
(female)

IdyllicLife HB UserIdyllicLife HB User
Epstein-Barr Virus was the culprit

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted in a few months but I just wanted to leave a quick update. After several misdiagnoses, I am fully convinced that all of my inner ear problems and symptoms were indeed caused by a flare up of the Epstein-Barr virus. I was tested for this and my numbers were sky high. As soon as the numbers began to decrease over time, so did my symptoms. It appeared to all be related. The research I did shows that the EBV can present symptoms that are very similar to an inner ear disorder.

If you are seeking answers about what could be causing your own symptoms, please consider this. Research it, get tested, and ask questions.

My symptoms were:
* sudden onset of vertigo
* constant dizziness
* aural fullness on one side
* tinnitus on one side
* brain fog
* anxiety
* photosensitivity
* stiff neck
* difficulty focusing eyes

This all began at the end of July 2011. I can say that I have NONE of these symptoms any longer, with the exception of occasional dizziness and residual anxiety. However, they do not affect my everyday life and if I had to put a percentage on it, I would say that I am about 95% back to "my old self" and have been for the past couple of months.

Best wishes to everyone and please know that I am a true believer that it only gets better.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IdyllicLife For This Useful Post:
Babypants (03-23-2012), florida31 (09-09-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
(female)

Babypants HB User
Re: Epstein-Barr Virus was the culprit

I wanted to private message you about this, but could not. I am so happy you found a diagnosis. I have been going through a similar rough spot. At the end of December/beginning of January, I was feeling horrible run down, fatigued, and exhausted. I knew I wasn't taking good care of myself. In the days before the dizziness hit, I was dehydrated, stressed, and not acting like myself. Then one day at work - boom - I felt like an earthquake hit. My life has not been the same since then. My sense of imbalance (I always felt like I was on an elevator or a boat) gradually improved, but the "brain fog," anxiety, and depression set in. I am always completely exhausted, but can't sleep. MRI, VNG, audiogram, and bloodwork to date were great. ENT said it would probably pass, GP thinks it's anxiety and stress...I know something is not right.

I saw your post the other day and thought, I wonder if...? Then my therapist asked me if I had been tested for mono/EBV. I did some research online and finally broke down and asked my GP for the full work up. I also asked for CMV, lyme disease, liver function tests, and vitamin levels. I don't want anything serious to be wrong with me, but I want to KNOW what is wrong so I can start working on healing.

Again, I am so happy for you that you finally got to the root of your problem!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
(female)

IdyllicLife HB UserIdyllicLife HB User
Re: Epstein-Barr Virus was the culprit

Hi! I am glad you are taking the steps to get tested for other possible causes and not simply accepting the unknown. I know it isn't easy to go through this and find out what is causing all of your symptoms, but trust me, having an answer makes all the difference. I, too, had a normal MRI, VNG, and audiograms. Once I tested extremely high for the EBV and researched that the symptoms were very similar to inner ear disorders like Meniere's, VN, and labs, I knew I had my answer. The timeline fit perfectly and so did the regression of my symptoms.

Please post again when you find an answer! I am curious to know if it was indeed the EBV as well. Best wishes!

Closed Thread