It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
(female)

spin2much HB User
Recurring BPPV causing terrible anxiety and ruining life

Hello Everyone,
I have been searching around in the archives of past threads trying to get to the bottom of my problem. I have had three episodes of BPPV. One last March, one three weeks ago (went to hospital it was so bad), and one this morning. I feel like I am stuck in a circle of Hell in Dante's inferno, doomed to have the spins at any random moment. Since they each happened while in bed, and turning over, I now have developed a dread of sleeping. Needless to say, I haven't slept a good night in three weeks. I am terrified to lie flat, and have been "sleeping" nearly upright on a bunch of pillows frozen with immobility-- fearing a recurrence.

The Epley maneuver helped the first time (on the right ear) but I still wasn't quite right after. I went back to the doctor (a different doc) and he thought the left ear was involved, so did the Epley on the left. I felt better. This was five days ago. Then I had a terrible night of sleep due to stress, and a very stressful day. Then BAM, vertigo was back this morning. I couldn't tell which side it was on. Things seemed to spin mildly on either side I turned, and I felt impending spinning while lying down. The nausea was awful. I did Epley on the left, and had no symptoms on left, but very minor on right. Then I did it for the right, had mild spinning on the right ,and all hell broke loose when I turned to the left. I have no idea what is going on. I thought the Epley was supposed to help. Two doctors have diagnosed BPPV. I feel as if I have some sort of permanently compromised inner ear to have a recurrence so soon after being treated. I also feel that I need to treat this anxiety, as it certainly isn't helping things. Does anyone have experience with taking an antidepressant, or some other tranquilizer?

Prior to this, I was an extremely active, healthy person. I have two young kids and teach martial arts. Now I just sit around in fear and confusion. I'm really quite desperate to get some help, but my doctors seem to think this is a minor annoyance, and as my ENT put it to me bluntly "nobody cares about vertigo."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
(female)

middleone HB User
Re: Recurring BPPV causing terrible anxiety and ruining life

I'm so sorry that you are experiencing this. I lived with this for 9 years. Yes, eventually I was on Ativan and that helped me not panic or actually care much about anything. But it isn't a long term fix. I finally decided to have Posterior Canal Occlusion surgery because I was at my wits end - depressed and not able to do much of anything but sit straight - no exercise, no fun. And sleeping - piled high with six pillows and fearful of rolling over in sleep. After Epley after Epley after Epley in a span of six months, I gave in to surgery. THE BEST DECISION I'VE EVER MADE. Not to say that the recovery was easy, it wasn't but it is better....!!!! Get to a doctor who can help. And if they don't do the surgery find one that does - even if you have to get to another state. It is worth considering if you are chronic.

Closed Thread