It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
(female)

shelberta HB User
pulsatile tinnitus and vertigo

Hi everyone,

I have been reading these posts for some time now and wanted to share my experience. I have CURED both my pulsatile tinnitus (heart whooshing in my left ear) and horrible vertigo (felt like I was on a boat) with a very easy exercise called the Epley maneuver. I'd had both symptoms for over a year - the vertigo came and went for 3-4 years and I was on Cymbalta for the anxiety I had over it. I was on antibiotics, Claritin-D, and Nasonex as well. Nothing helped.

Recently the tinnitus was so bad that my doctor ordered a whole bunch of tests. I had a carotid duplex (an ultrasound of the neck), MRI of the brain, CT scan (still waiting on results), and will have a balance test next week. The duplex and MRI came back totally normal (whew, no brain tumor)! I thought for sure I just had fluid built up in my middle ear and eustachian tube, because sometimes doing the Valsalva maneuver would help a little. Mostly it did not help though. An ENT doctor I saw did not see fluid buidup behind my ear drum, so she did not want to aspirate and put a tube in. I was disappointed until I tried the Epley maneuver she gave me to do.

Anyway, I've done the Epley maneuver twice and my tinnitus is completely gone. The vertigo is minor and almost like it's gone but my brain has been compensating for how severe it was before. I'm finally getting my land legs back. It's a miracle. Please look up the Epley maneuver and do it morning and night for several minutes each position. I did 2 minutes for each portion of the maneuver, include 2 minutes of sitting up at the end (just relax and look at something stationary - no tv). I did not sleep propped up afterward either. I'm so happy I was able to be in the car today and not throw up. Hope this helps many of you vertigo and tinnitus sufferers out there. I sure wish my doctor had told me about this 4 years ago when I first came into the office with vertigo.

BTW I've also had tonsil rocks come out. Now I'm not even sure they were FROM my tonsils, but was maybe junk coming down from my ears! Huge white stones were fairly easily popped out - but the part of the tonsil that is in your mouth more on the SIDE instead of straight back - I just pushed there a little with my (soap disinfected) finger and these monster white stones popped out. I do believe this helped as well. I do hope this is helpful to everyone and you find relief and healing.

Michelle

Last edited by moderator2; 03-12-2011 at 06:08 AM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #2
(male)

Clifbob HB User
Re: Pulsatile tinnitus

Hi, I am a tinnitus sufferer for over two years. I just read your posting about how you got some relief from your tinnitus. I am desperate for some relief.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Last edited by Administrator; 05-08-2012 at 12:50 AM.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:46 AM   #3
(female)

shelberta HB User

Hi there,

We can post on here- I am subscribed and can see when you reply. What were your questions? I can tell you that I did have a tonsillectomy but that didn't really affect my tinnitus or vertigo, however, I do feel better overall. Haven't had much tinnitus and hardly any vertigo. The tinnitus shows up sometimes now when I have a cold. I've found that actually NOT messing with my ears - valsalva popping, q-tips, etc really helps. Even if your ears really itch, avoid it. At most, use a kleenex and gently clean out the outer part using your index finger after a shower. Just to dry the outer part. I'm not a doctor, and I would definitely see one if you haven't yet. These are just a few things that have helped me. If I ever get vertigo again, I will definitely do the Epley maneuver once or twice a day.

It looks stupid and I felt like such an idiot when I did it the first couple of times, but I just kept praying and doing it. There was a moment when I stood up and the tinnitus and vertigo were both completely gone and I burst into tears. I hope this helps. -M

Last edited by Administrator; 05-08-2012 at 12:52 AM.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
(male)

Clifbob HB User

Thanks for responding. Regarding the Epley maneuver, I read it's possibly for vertigo, but I only have tinnitus. You claim it helps tinnitus as well. Do I need to see a doctor to have it done?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
(female)

shelberta HB User
Re: pulsatile tinnitus and vertigo

I would definitely go see an ENT who is familiar with the maneuver. Then you should be able to do it yourself.

Closed Thread