It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
(female)

lovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB User
Question Nortriptyline/caffeine/decomp questions...

Hi guys... It's been a while since I've posted. I've been feeling great for months (VN almost two years ago that took a LONG time to get over).

My dr put me on nortriptyline about 6 weeks ago as a migraine preventative. Every two weeks I upped the dosage and am at 30mg nightly. It has helped a lot but the last couple of days I feel like I'm decompensating, along with ear pain and fullness in the same ear that has been damaged from the VN. It's so sudden and strange... I can't remember the last time I had a bout of decompensation. (Which I'm ultra grateful for, but just worried now...) Does anyone know if this drug can cause this? I've read some things online about this drug possibly being ototoxic but some things seem to say it's fine for the ears (which is what my pharmacist says).

The only other thing I can think of that could be a cause of this is that a couple weeks ago I started drinking Starbucks Grande Lattes (used to be Tall lattes. Grandes have twice the caffeine. I've gone back to tall). I sometimes get a little hormonal dizziness, which this could be, but if so, it is much worse than usual.

I would love to hear the thoughts of ANYONE. I am seeing my dr this afternoon and will share what she says, in case it is helpful to anyone else. Thanks so much for reading!

Old 05-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
(female)

lovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB User
Re: Nortriptyline/caffeine/decomp questions...

Just in case anyone is interested...

Both my doc and pharmacist said that nortriptyline is most likely not causing my issue. I had a rough morning... my ear issues have always triggered moments of low blood pressure for me, and this morning I had to jump out of the shower before I threw up or passed out. I'm carrying on with my day, with mild/mod dizzies, some ear pain. Taking pseudoephedrine to try to keep my ear/eustachian tube clear. They were quite sore yesterday. Praying this is a tiny blip... can't remember when my last decomp was.. I remember feeling yucky last October and then I realized how much anxiety was playing a part in my issues. Since then, as far as I can remember, I've been feeling amazing! Minus last few days, which hopefully don't last much longer.

Sending healing vibes to all... !!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread