It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
(male)

williamquarmby HB User
Labrynthitis

Can anyone please help, i have been diagnosed with Viral Labrynthitis, my symptoms are severe dizziness, vertigo, vomiting and a total loss of hearing in my right ear together with a gushing sound. The vertigo symptoms and dizziness are now fading and slowly getting better, now been two weeks since occurred although the loss of hearing shows no sign of coming back. Is this going to be permanent deafness or will it return at some point, have been injected once in the ear with steroids and took two weeks supply of oral steroids Presodine or similar.
Need some life experineces from people or general advice. Are there any treatments for the deafness if it does not return, many thanks

Old 07-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
(female)

Lilianjo HB User
Re: Labrynthitis

So sorry to hear that you are going through that. Your post captured my attention because I'm also going through similar symptoms but no nausea. I have lost, according to my hearing test, 50% of the hearing in my left ear, my right is unaffected. I hate to bother you but you bring up one of two points that I am worried about. I see my ENT on July 27 and he said they may give me the steroid shot in my hear. I am SO worried about that, and I was just wondering if that was painful? They are also scheduling me for an ECOG, but another story, another fear. I am new to this site so I apologize if I am out of line in responding to your post with questions of my own, but some of your issues seem in line with mine. I have had an MRI and will be more than happy to share any information with you as I go through further testing. Hope I can be of help as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #3
(male)

williamquarmby HB User

The steroid shot in the ear was not painful at all, they gave me a local painkilling jab first that numbed the ear then injected the steroids.

Last edited by hb-mod; 07-13-2012 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Please do not request any off-board contact, or post contact information. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
(female)

Lilianjo HB User

Thank you so much, at least I feel like there is hope. I just emailed my doctor asking for something to take before the injection, that is what a chicken I am! My ENT told me on my hearing test (I've lost 50% hearing in my left ear and have near perfect hearing in my right ear) that hearing loss associated with this type of thing could come back depending on how early the patient got in to see the doctor. I went on a round or steroid pills, a 12 day course, withing 3 weeks of all of this starting. My hearing, as of today, has not improved. BUT, the fact that the ENT said that hearing CAN improve with time, I hope is encouraging for you. I will keep you posted, and I also believe in prayer so will add you to my prayer journal if you don't mind. Thank you again so much!

Old 07-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
(male)

williamquarmby HB User

Don't worry Lilianjo, like i said the ear steroid injection was not painful at all, just ask your doctor to use a local anastetic gel as opposed to a local injection before the main jab. I have totally lost my hearing in my right ear but as for reading all the posts and info on the net there is a chance that the hearing will return, the inner ear is such a delicate thing and even the docotrs themselves don't fully understand what has happened and because of that it is difficult to rectify, but all the research seems to suggest the steroid injections offer the best hope for the hearing return. So sit tight and keep each other posted on any developments, hey it could be worse, people out there have alot of worse conditions than this and if this is all that happens in your life as far as medical problems then we have escaped quite light LOL
Keep your chin up and keep in touch.
regards
Will

Old 07-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
(female)

Lilianjo HB User

Thank you Will! And I totally agree with you, much much worse could have happened to us, and unfortunately, have happened to others. My world has changed, but it's not something I can't adapt to. The good news is, I do have some good days thrown in with the bad! I will keep you posted. Keep me posted as well and we will hope for the best.

Closed Thread