It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
(female)

short81771 HB User
plf surgery done

I just had this done 1 week ago. He took the packing out 6 days later after surgery. but i have fullness in my ear still and i'm very off when i get up and walk and stuff. How long does it take for you not to feel that fullness in the middle ear and the dizzies to go away after surgery. If i lay in bed i'm okay but it's when i start movin around?

Last edited by Mod-S4; 07-14-2012 at 12:18 PM.

Old 03-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
(female)

CLAUDIAJO HB User
Re: Perilymph Fistula

Hi short81771 - Hang in there. I haven't had surgery, but ran across your posting and just wanted to say take it slow as you are healing. Esp since you are blessed with the support for you and the kids. I know easy to say but I also know that your better days are coming. From my understanding which is stated below from prior PF post-surgery patients, at this point I believe your inner ear tissues and nerves are adhering to the newly inserted tissue so it's taking your body through a variety of symptoms as it attaches or even a better sense ---heals.

I can say that the healing process is part of the reason why I am hesitant on the surgery because first, my current DR isn't too caring to explain to me what I should expect through the recovery process. So I really wanted to hear from someone who is having my current symptoms and then what symptoms I should expect as I heal? Just really is hoping to prepare myself for post surgery.

As previously mentioned, at the beginning (page 1) of this posting there are a couple of people who have had the surgery and states their recovery process. There are several that I would love to hear from xtine04, Shawna70 and Sandy. Particularly shawna70 for she seemed to have the same symptom as myself lightheadedness rather the spinning symptoms.

But back to what I hope helps you as you are healing.....Senior Memeber, Xtine04, mentioned the following in a prior post "the surgery but from what i've heard from my friends that have recovery will be 6-8 weeks... it depends on a lot of factors but the most important thing you can do is follow precautions for a good while. it can take the graft month and months to adhere and for those who 'rush it' risk a relapse."

I am sending you lots of healing wishes and wishing you the very best.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-25-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
(female)

CLAUDIAJO HB User

short81771 - How are you feeling? I have finally been able to find a doctor to give me a second opinion on my diagnose of PFS. However, I haven't seen him, yet due to scheduling. For some reason, I have to get calls back from the dr office to set an appt. But anyhow, I am getting close. So I hope to be heading for surgery soon.

Each time it gets difficult and scary for me to walk around mother nature time. To the point I feel like I am going to faint as this has been my ongoing symptom since my original outbreak (Jan 2008), but seems to be getting worse. The dizziness or rather the spinning sensations settled within a 1 week while going through the original outbreak, which I am thankful for. But I am still left with the lightheadedness after walking for 15 mins and at times sensory lost (out of nowhere and esp if it's no air circulation or light noise around me). So I am really hoping to get a doctor I trust and pray for a healing. And also, I still try to make it to my job through all this even though it has been very hard.

I can say going through life itself like this has been hard. I am so limited to what I used to do before Jan 2008...things like grocery shopping, family gatherings, exercising, regular walking through the malls or my neighborhood and believe it or not regular things I used to eat. I had to totally eliminate beef, any types of chocolate, ice cream, pasta, no saucy food and others I can't think of right now. Beef makes me nauseous..after consuming, I have to hurry and drink gallons of water in hopes to have it flushed out of my system fairly quickly. And all the others makes me feel stuffy, which makes my symptoms worse. So I just took it out of my food intake. This gave me the realization that anything that makes me feel stuffy...I have to avoid so I only eat light foods (chicken, turkey, seafood, salads, and only dry foods like chicken sandwich w/ nothing on it..and things to that sort) So very simple and boring when it comes to eating.

My typically day....I push myself to get up ....go to work and pray that I make it through the whole day then come home. And over the weekends I lay and sit in my home....sometimes in order to get out of the house (local store or anything to its sort)...I have to convince myself that I am OK and that I am healthy...it's just false signals to the my brain and I am not about to die. But I am still not sure if this makes things worse. So this is why I stay limited until I get it solved.

Anyway, I am determined to not let all that I have mention above get me depressed. I look at this as my temporarily life for the moment and since I am blessed to wake up everyday...I am determined to make the best of it the best way I can.

I just wanted to see how things are going for you since surgery. I hope everything is going well. Hope to hear from later.

Claudia

Old 04-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #4
(female)

short81771 HB User

Hi Claudia,

tuesday will be 4 weeks now since i had my plf sugery..i was actually in bed for awhile because it affected my vision, which it affected before hand..but after 3 weeks after surgery i started getting better and my brain just had to adjust back to my ear being fixed..When he went in he found 2 spots that there was a leak, and took the fat out of my earlobe and plugged it in there...my ear was packed for a week and then he took it out...it sounded strange for a day or two after he took packing out, but then went back to normal sounds. my ear still feels clogged sometimes depends if i'm outside and there is wind. i wear earplugs like this morning for my daughters soccer game. it's still healing inside can take up to 7 to 8 weeks to be good, but he said the clog feeling sometimes doesnt go away , but what i was going through i dont even care. i'm still taking the clonazapam which is the generic kind for klonipin that is the only medication that helped with my dizziness and the panick attacks i was getting..so now when i go back to see him he needs to start wheening me off the med and i will see how i am. but i'm back to being able to do stuff around the house i can drive again took 3 weeks after surgery only because it affected my vision, cuz i had vision problems. if you dont have vision problems your dizziness should go away within 24hrs after your surgery because that spot will be plugged up and there will be no more leakage going into your middle ear..and yes for this surgery it's very hard to find a doctor that specializes in this procedure... < edited > my name is Jen

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-14-2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Please do not post, or request contact information, such as email address, phone or name.

Old 04-21-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
(female)

CLAUDIAJO HB User

Hi there!

That's so good to read that you are having such great improvement. I plan to take off a month for recovery. At least I hope this will be enough time to start back driving or better yet, feel normal again. I hope I am able to work out again or at least walk longer than 15 min before getting lightheaded and the feeling of passing out. I do have to say that's my worst fear ...having my brain start back over again to amend to the new tissue replacement. Oh well. Guess I have to do what I have to do. As you stated anything will beat going through what I am going through now.

I am still waiting for a call back to schedule an appt for a second opinion :-(. I totally can't wait to go in for surgery and I do have vision trouble. More so sensitivity to bright lights especially in the office environment and also the sun. Majority of the time, I have to travel before the sun come up (sounds like a vampire, uh...hehehehe) and other times I am ok. I guess it depends on how my symptoms are for that day. And too, I am so thankful that my co-workers around me likes the office lights very dim rather bright. So one side of the office is brightly lite while my side is super dim. Other co-workers in the office think we are weird.....LOL.

, thanks so much for the response. I have been searching all day today on the internet for another dr. who specialize in PSFs and I can say I have a successful list for my area...at least what I can tell by reading the their rating reviews. I actually found quite a few. So I will start to call again on Mon.

By the way, I am in the US (Virginia Area). By any chance is the dr. that performed your surgery in this area? Also, did you have to stay overnight in the hosp after surgery? and were you put under by general or local anesthesia?

Thanks Jen for your response. I really appreciate you taking your time to provide me feedback on your recovery.

Claudia

Old 03-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
(male)

Wallbasher HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by short81771 View Post
Hi Claudia,

tuesday will be 4 weeks now since i had my plf sugery..i was actually in bed for awhile because it affected my vision, which it affected before hand..but after 3 weeks after surgery i started getting better and my brain just had to adjust back to my ear being fixed..When he went in he found 2 spots that there was a leak, and took the fat out of my earlobe and plugged it in there...my ear was packed for a week and then he took it out...it sounded strange for a day or two after he took packing out, but then went back to normal sounds. my ear still feels clogged sometimes depends if i'm outside and there is wind. i wear earplugs like this morning for my daughters soccer game. it's still healing inside can take up to 7 to 8 weeks to be good, but he said the clog feeling sometimes doesnt go away , but what i was going through i dont even care. i'm still taking the clonazapam which is the generic kind for klonipin that is the only medication that helped with my dizziness and the panick attacks i was getting..so now when i go back to see him he needs to start wheening me off the med and i will see how i am. but i'm back to being able to do stuff around the house i can drive again took 3 weeks after surgery only because it affected my vision, cuz i had vision problems. if you dont have vision problems your dizziness should go away within 24hrs after your surgery because that spot will be plugged up and there will be no more leakage going into your middle ear..and yes for this surgery it's very hard to find a doctor that specializes in this procedure... < edited > my name is Jen
Hey Short, Just wondering if there was anyway to get an update on you!

Old 10-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
(female)

Marie 67 HB User

Can I please ask everyone on here who has a fistula how they got it, how they were diagnosed and all the symptoms. I'm suspicious that I might have one.

Reply Reply