It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #1
(male)

mx740 HB User
Possible inner ear disorder?

On April 12th night my surroundings stared to spin, there was no ringing in my ears, movement made my dizziness worst. I slept. I felt normal for the next 3 days. However I started to have weird sensations after that.
My symptoms started off with extreme fatigue, lightheadedness, unreal to surroundings, giddy spells (with cold sweats) and tension headaches. KKH confirmed infection in both my ears and throat on April 19th. After a week of antibodies and ear drops, my infection stopped. However the below symptoms continued from 26th April, 24/7 every minute until now.
When walking:
1) Brain fog
2) Constant woozy, fainting sensation
3) Fuzzy blurred vision
4) Lightheaded
5) Uncomfortably ďdrunkĒ sensation
6) Trouble focusing vision
When sitting down:
1) Constant internal movement when still (jerking sensation to all directions)
2) Forward or backwards thrusting sensation when still
3) Swaying sensation like a pendulum when still
4) Sudden falling sensation frequently
5) Brain fog
6) Frequent nausea without vomiting
7) Trouble focusing vision
Additional details
1) Internal movements are relieved when Iím in motion. Thus I find myself physically swaying back and forth to relief the internal sensations.
2) Laying down reliefs the internal motion too.
3) When train or car stops, I still feel like Iím moving forwards with it.
4) Numb for head (the area above eyebrows)
5) Tension headaches after exercise
6) Extreme stress and anxiety (understandable but I am sure they are precipitations rather than the cause)
7) In caloric test, my right ear responded weaker compared to my left ear.
8) Burning itch and pain in the left ear during and after swimming

These symptoms are constant every moment throughout these few months and its extremely debilitating. It is severely impacting of life and studies. Emotional distresses are also consistent.
Thank you for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
(male)

boic HB Userboic HB User
Re: Possible inner ear disorder?

I think you have Vestibular Neuritis, just like me and a few other people on this forum. Im not a doctor, so I cant be relied upon for medical advice as such, but it sounds like you keep being introduced to the same source of the problem which caused this to develop in the first place.

Do you have allergies by any chance? Or are you under a lot of stress? Any constant colds/flu? Do you smoke?

An air purifier can I think make a good difference to the air quality, especially in the same room where you spend most of your day, or even in your bedroom.

I use a cheap vicks HEPA air purifier, which seems to do a fairly good job of getting rid of excess dust in the air.

I always tell people to try incorporating more fruit and vegetables into their diets, as I know this usually always has a benefit. Also, hot working conditions, I think, could make this worse for you, as being overheated will make your cells dilate (swell up) and this is probably your problem in the first place. Swelling causing problems with vertigo (spinning sensation).

Have a great day, and keep your head up. A positive attitude to it may help you get rid of this quicker I hear.

God Bless
Chris

Old 08-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
(male)

boic HB Userboic HB User

I think you have Vestibular Neuritis, just like me and a few other people on this forum. Im not a doctor, so I cant be relied upon for medical advice as such, but it sounds like you keep being introduced to the same source of the problem which caused this to develop in the first place.

Do you have allergies by any chance? Or are you under a lot of stress? Any constant colds/flu? Do you smoke?

An air purifier can I think make a good difference to the air quality, especially in the same room where you spend most of your day, or even in your bedroom.

I use a cheap vicks HEPA air purifier, which seems to do a fairly good job of getting rid of excess dust in the air.

I always tell people to try incorporating more fruit and vegetables into their diets, as I know this usually always has a benefit. Also, hot working conditions, I think, could make this worse for you, as being overheated will make your cells dilate (swell up) and this is probably your problem in the first place. Swelling causing problems with vertigo (spinning sensation).

Have a great day, and keep your head up. A positive attitude to it may help you get rid of this quicker I hear.

God Bless
Chris

Old 08-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
(male)

boic HB Userboic HB User

Ahh! It double posted my message. Never mind, have a great day!

God Bless.

Chris

Old 09-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
(male)

mx740 HB User

hi boic my vemp vng and mri test are all normal? shouldnt vng be effected if i have vn?

Old 09-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
(male)

boic HB Userboic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx740 View Post
hi boic my vemp vng and mri test are all normal? shouldnt vng be effected if i have vn?
Hi Mx740

Im guessing that it could affect it.. but it doesnt always have to present itself at the time of an examination for some strange reason.. All you can do is try to get some relaxation into your life, and follow what your doctor is saying for now. If you have any sinus issues, I would also see to trying to treat them too, as they can be sort of "hidden". Im no expert in this though, I just research into things like this a lot. Sometimes even anxiety can be hidden, and can completely make it worse in terms of vertigo. It's crazy the amount that anxiety can do alone.

Chris

Old 09-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #7
(male)

mx740 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boic View Post
Hi Mx740

Im guessing that it could affect it.. but it doesnt always have to present itself at the time of an examination for some strange reason.. All you can do is try to get some relaxation into your life, and follow what your doctor is saying for now. If you have any sinus issues, I would also see to trying to treat them too, as they can be sort of "hidden". Im no expert in this though, I just research into things like this a lot. Sometimes even anxiety can be hidden, and can completely make it worse in terms of vertigo. It's crazy the amount that anxiety can do alone.

Chris
Well the truth is that I went for two vng tests. The first revealed a sixty plus weakness to my right ear but doc said impossible so I went for another round. Somehow it was perfectly, perfectly normal, only a two percent. Plus dixhallpike and other vertigo tests are all negative. Now Im left with a swaying falling type of sensation while sitting still. It is relieved when I'm in physical motion or resting my head on something solid. Occasionally I have the tight throat fainty wooziness, unreal feeling and my eyes are out of focus. I had a MRI with contrast done and it was negative. Sigh I'm only sixteen. Why me....

Old 09-20-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
(male)

boic HB Userboic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx740 View Post
Well the truth is that I went for two vng tests. The first revealed a sixty plus weakness to my right ear but doc said impossible so I went for another round. Somehow it was perfectly, perfectly normal, only a two percent. Plus dixhallpike and other vertigo tests are all negative. Now Im left with a swaying falling type of sensation while sitting still. It is relieved when I'm in physical motion or resting my head on something solid. Occasionally I have the tight throat fainty wooziness, unreal feeling and my eyes are out of focus. I had a MRI with contrast done and it was negative. Sigh I'm only sixteen. Why me....
To me.. that really does sound like anxiety. I have the exact same thing going on.. the tightness around the neck and the woozy. Unreal feeling.. eyes out of focus.. also the light seems to dim slightly at times. Dix hallpike and the other examinations can give negative results even though the conditions are there.. to me that is all to do with the compensation process happening at specific times. If one day the reading of the VNG test was 60+ weakness in the ear, and the next it showed quite a normal reading with only slightly raised numbers.. perhaps the compensation process blocked the signals from the ear when you were having the test. The tightness around the neck feels like at times as if it restricts the flow of blood to the head.. making you feel light headed almost. That's just anxiety.. when you feel calmer... that feeling goes down a lot. The other thing I could say is that the infections either came from your throat.. or went to it. The unreal feeling is something known as "Derealization" and its when the body is reacting to anxiety. This can also create further anxiety.. and cause something called "depersonalization" and then finally a panic attack. That anxiety comes as a result of the ear infection damage. It's also possible your doctor got it wrong, or misinterpreted the result, because we all have similar bodies.. but we're not all the same either. The only other thing I can say to look at is your diet.. in a lot of cases.. nearly all medical cases in fact.. are in some way related to diet.. or can be treated with diet. Food can be a good source of medicine. Perhaps you could ask your parent if they could make you some soups, as that helps boost the immune system and the overall energy level of your body.

Im only 23 myself... and I know what it feels like having to deal with this at a young age. You're not alone though! I can understand where you're coming from with it. I also feel like Im moving about when Im sat still.. sometimes even feel like Im being pushed to one side. It's scary. Did you have any sort of cold/flu or head injury before you got this?

Old 09-21-2012, 05:10 AM   #9
(male)

mx740 HB User

I do not expect anxiety as this rocking swaying type of sensation is there as soon as I wake up. That aside I do suffer from additional emotional stress which is really disturbing. I've read people suffering form this rocking swaying boat sensation for years or decades. I can't take it anymore. Sigh.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #10
(male)

jimmyc123 HB User

I can understand how you feel. I have been suffering with pretty much all of these symptoms for the past 9 weeks. Although they do improve, then new ones seem to pop up.

I developed severe anxiety about 5 years ago after a mystery viral infection which never left me 100%.

I have now been suffering from all the same symptoms as you for the past 9 weeks, they seem to manifest into different sensations at times. Some days I feel more capable than others - but I have not had a full day of feeling 100%.

I have suffered EXTREME anxiety and stress throughout this whole ordeal, unable to resume normal activity or even feel normal sitting up straight. I want this to end more than anyway, and it is very discouraging to hear other people are experiencing this as well.

It seems as though almost every article I read about these conditions goes on forever and nobody ever gets better.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:53 AM   #11
(male)

mx740 HB User

Oh to respond to your question I did not have a cold or head injury. However I was rather exhausted before all these started. The symptoms kinda disappear when im too focused on other things like doing a performance in front of many or engaging in a deep conversation.
I feel most uncomfortable when sitting still. However shaking my leg or swaying my body reliefs the dizziness or any other distractions for that matter. Whats your take?

Last edited by mx740; 10-06-2012 at 03:54 AM. Reason: more information

Reply Reply

Tags
inner ear disorder, off balance