It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
(female)

rosetta29 HB User
Newbie - Worried - Opinions pls!

Hi there, have been reading these boards for a few days now - lots of helpful info! - and decided to post myself...would like opinions on if this sounds like reoccurence of BPPV, Meniere's, vestibular neuritis, etc, etc...?

2004 - I had disequilibrium and the "tilty" feeling for 9 months. No other symptoms, was able to function almost 100%...eventually resolved after seeing ENT who put me in a rotating chair and did Epley..(first round of Epley on flat bench did not work, nor did doing exercises at home)

Last Friday - laid down at beach and got violent vertigo - at least 1 minute, couldn't stand, vomited. Went to ER, treated with IV drip of Benadryl and some other stuff. Docs told me return of BPPV. Went home after 5 hours, felt unsteady and "off" for 3 days (exhausted as well). Tuesday morning - got up and took shower...bent head to towel dry hair - MISTAKE! Violent vertigo again - lasted about 1 min. Couldn't stand, didn't vomit. Took Gravol and conked out for 5 hours. Unsteady afterwards. Went to family doc that night, prescribed Serc, reaffirmed diagnosis of BPPV, told me to go to ER next morning to try to see ENT (skip wait time.)

Went to ER on Wednesday morning...4 ENT residents took complete history, did Dix-Hallpike (sp?) and Epley, did not work. They were not convinced BPPV as maneuvers did not work. They said possible BPPV, Meniere's, or vestibular neuritis...Sent me home with note off work and to take it easy, keep taking Serc.

Currently - waiting to see another ENT. Taking SERC...feeling disequilibrium and bouncy when walking, but seems to be getting better every day by about 15%...no more violent vertigo. Feel slight dizziness when bend down or turn sideways in bed. Right ear hurts from time to time - fleeting pain approx. 15 times a day, but no hearing impairment. Can do about 75% normal activity but will get headache, tired eyes, and sick to my stomach once I'm up doing normal stuff for about 6 hours (then need to lay down for hour).

One other note - I get migraines, and have an allergy/nasal drip thing occasionally that I take Nasonex spray for every day...in case this may factor in...

What do you guys/gals think this is?!?!? Trying not to panic!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
(male)

boic HB Userboic HB User
Re: Newbie - Worried - Opinions pls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetta29 View Post
Hi there, have been reading these boards for a few days now - lots of helpful info! - and decided to post myself...would like opinions on if this sounds like reoccurence of BPPV, Meniere's, vestibular neuritis, etc, etc...?

2004 - I had disequilibrium and the "tilty" feeling for 9 months. No other symptoms, was able to function almost 100%...eventually resolved after seeing ENT who put me in a rotating chair and did Epley..(first round of Epley on flat bench did not work, nor did doing exercises at home)

Last Friday - laid down at beach and got violent vertigo - at least 1 minute, couldn't stand, vomited. Went to ER, treated with IV drip of Benadryl and some other stuff. Docs told me return of BPPV. Went home after 5 hours, felt unsteady and "off" for 3 days (exhausted as well). Tuesday morning - got up and took shower...bent head to towel dry hair - MISTAKE! Violent vertigo again - lasted about 1 min. Couldn't stand, didn't vomit. Took Gravol and conked out for 5 hours. Unsteady afterwards. Went to family doc that night, prescribed Serc, reaffirmed diagnosis of BPPV, told me to go to ER next morning to try to see ENT (skip wait time.)

Went to ER on Wednesday morning...4 ENT residents took complete history, did Dix-Hallpike (sp?) and Epley, did not work. They were not convinced BPPV as maneuvers did not work. They said possible BPPV, Meniere's, or vestibular neuritis...Sent me home with note off work and to take it easy, keep taking Serc.

Currently - waiting to see another ENT. Taking SERC...feeling disequilibrium and bouncy when walking, but seems to be getting better every day by about 15%...no more violent vertigo. Feel slight dizziness when bend down or turn sideways in bed. Right ear hurts from time to time - fleeting pain approx. 15 times a day, but no hearing impairment. Can do about 75% normal activity but will get headache, tired eyes, and sick to my stomach once I'm up doing normal stuff for about 6 hours (then need to lay down for hour).

One other note - I get migraines, and have an allergy/nasal drip thing occasionally that I take Nasonex spray for every day...in case this may factor in...

What do you guys/gals think this is?!?!? Trying not to panic!

I have to say that Im new to all this too, but I wanted to post because you seem very worried, and I know how crap it feels not to have any support whatsoever, and worrying that no one else is replying to you.

The first part sounds like BPPV for sure, and then you go on to describe what sounds like an ear infection. Maybe labyrinthitis, as I know sometimes a change in head position can set it off, and you also mention about the bouncy feeling when walking. Classic signs of labyrinthitis to me, also the nausea when the vertigo kicks in and some headaches too. With your ear hurting, I would have thought that was a pretty simple sign that you had an ear infection, especially from the point of view of a doctor taking a look at you. Sometimes, what can happen is that labyrinthitis can take a little while to develop, but you can experience symptoms before it becomes clear of what it actually is. Perhaps your doctors were getting confused due to the condition not being fully developed at that stage, as many other conditions to do with vertigo all share similar symptoms.

All you can do is rest, get enough water to flush out the thing as quickly as possible, try to incorporate some more fruit and vegetables into your diet (if that is possible for you) and try to sleep as good as you can.

Labyrinthitis and all other similar conditions can be very scary, and it usually takes a little while to get better, but hold on in there! you're not alone.

God Bless

Chris

The Following User Says Thank You to boic For This Useful Post:
florida31 (09-19-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
(female)

rosetta29 HB User

Thanks so much for the reply. I am worried! And annoyed, too...just want to get this resolved. I'm fairly healthy otherwise - eat well, exercise lots, optimistic by nature...but this really threw me for a loop.

BTW, docs did look in my ears and said no sign of an ear infection...
Thanks again!!!

Old 08-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
(male)

boic HB Userboic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetta29 View Post
Thanks so much for the reply. I am worried! And annoyed, too...just want to get this resolved. I'm fairly healthy otherwise - eat well, exercise lots, optimistic by nature...but this really threw me for a loop.

BTW, docs did look in my ears and said no sign of an ear infection...
Thanks again!!!
Hi

No Problem! I know how much this kind of thing really is freaky for everyone. I know that doctors can't see the inflammation inside behind the ear drum (the part which causes labyrinthitis is right inside the head) and so they cant see what's wrong. I told another lady on here the same thing, and that was that inflammation is causing your vertigo in some way, and that it's the body's natural response to cause this, because it dilates the cells to allow white blood cells into the area, and this causes the swelling, and that swelling then goes on to cause the vertigo. So anything which may make your body overheat may bring on an attack, although I'm no doctor, but this is what I experience and have correlated in my own experience. The vertigo as I said to the other lady is a good sign in a way, because it shows the body is fighting off the infection inside your inner ear. Only.. we cant see it that way because its so scary! lol. I'm not afraid of too much myself, and this one really gets my heart racing! I have a panic attack each time the vertigo spells get strong. And that's usually when Im worrying about something, or when Im walking or am sitting in a really warm room.

Thank goodness it resolves itself after a little while! Anyway, if you need more support, I myself and this community here are here for you to try to answer any questions or to give you some reassurance.

I wish you the best, and please keep us updated on how you feel etc.

God Bless

Chris

The Following User Says Thank You to boic For This Useful Post:
florida31 (09-19-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
(female)

nannypappy HB User

Hi, I new too. I've been have very similar problems since Jan. went to er gave me gravol, then family doc gave me serc, cat sca showed TULLIO PHENOMONON, doctor never heard of this, MRI , went to ENT, he did a vemp test I think that is what it is called and told me he only reads about this in book, but said the bone is very thin in left ear and cracked, so now I'm going to Toronto to see a otologist on Monday I better get answers and if they can fix this, I work with the elderly and not sure if I will be able to return to work, im not able to go out alone or drive. Very frustrating and at time depressed, also I'm in Canada

Hang in there it's got to get better

Old 09-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
(female)

txmacdee HB User

From what I have read, you may want to check up on the symptoms further of Superior Canal Dehiscence Syndrome (SCDS) or SSCD
Symptoms may include any of the following:
Autophony:
Hearing person's own speech or other self-generated noises (e.g. heartbeat, eye movements, creaking joints, chewing) are heard unusually loudly in the affected ear Dizziness/ vertigo/ chronic disequilibrium caused by the dysfunction of the superior semicircular canal.
Tullio Phenomenon: Sound-induced vertigo, disequilibrium or dizziness, nystagmus and oscillopsia.
Pulse-Synchronous: Oscillopsia: is a visual disturbance in which objects in the visual field appear to oscillate. The severity of the effect may range from a mild blurring to rapid and periodic jumping. Sufferers may experience dizziness and nausea.
Hyperacusis: The over-sensitivity to sound.
Other Symptoms: Low-frequency conductive hearing loss.
Fullness: A feeling of fullness in the affected ear(s) Duh.
Pulsatile tinnitus: Clicking or rushing sound that goes along with your heartbeat.
Brain fog
Fatigue
Headache/Migraine

This is what the person above me was talking about in their post. You can always look up ear issues online, and see what this comes up with. I learned so much with doing this and narrowing down what the problem my be. Good luck with this, and don't give up in your search to get better.

Dee

Old 09-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
(female)

florida31 HB Userflorida31 HB User

Hi there
As you say alot of us are suffering these horrible symtoms ,I first posted on here at the end of July under Labrythitus ? as that's what the doc thought it was ! however now on week 9 and not so sure and have been off work sice ! please read back through the threads if you haven't already as its a long story lol,however zi am now left like you that I am still unable to put head forward/over or roll on right side and am not walking properly ! and have not been referred to anyone ! and feel thst I may need to be seen by an ENT?
I have been on SERC now for 8 days and to be honest I cant really tell any difference ! which is really disappointing as had high hopes it would work so I can get back to some normality ! but it does sound like your seeing the right people ! hope it continues and you can keep us updated .

Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
(female)

lovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB User

I'm no expert, but it does sound BPPV'ish from everything I've heard and read about it. My aunt had BPPV and after months of suffering was cured after one maneuver. (She did feel a little gross for a day or two afterwards, if I remember right). I don't know if that's the usual success story... maybe you need the maneuver a few times? I don't know...

I do know the frustration of waiting forever for a diagnosis. I was told possibly MAV or VN. Menieres was also mentioned. It feels like nobody knows anything. And all you want is for someone to tell you that THIS is what is and that it WILL go away.

Hope yours goes away before you even find out what it is. Hang in there!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:58 AM   #9
(female)

hi everyone
So I have started back work yesterday ! and doing 3 half days ! still not back to normal
and on week 10 .
I am considering the manoeuvres option ! but don't know who or where to go for it ? does anyone know ? could I see a therapist of some kind ?
Hope yr all hanging on in there with these horrible symptoms .

Old 09-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
(female)

rosetta29 HB User

Hello there...just reporting in...

saw an ENT two weeks ago and she diagnosed left BPPV after doing the Dix-Hallpike (sp??) and inducing the horrible spins on my left side (ER docs and family docs were unsuccessful doing the test, leading them to think it was labs/VN/Meniere's)

Saw physio a week ago (specializing in VRT). She did the Epley on me, and it was BAD. I had the spins so bad during the maneuver I was sick, sweating, couldn't walk to the car without my husband's help afterwards...was on Gravol remainder of day/night, vision and balance was disturbed for 2 days afterwards, felt "off" up until Monday night (5.5 days since physio)....then...voila! all of a sudden, felt "clear"...no spins, perhaps slight off balance in certain positions, but much much much better. no brain fog, no "out of my head" feeling, etc. For the past two days, have been able to work 8 hour stressful days without headache or pressure feeling or brain fog. Went for a run this morning before work with no weirdness.

I think it's gone! (or mostly gone!)

My physio did tell me that a small percentage of people feel really really horrible for several days after the Epley, then they come out of it to find the BPPV has been resolved. Perhaps I am one of those people...what a relief!

Hope all is well with everyone, don't give up hope!!!

Old 09-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
(female)

Wow ! that's brilliant news ,apart from what you had to go through after the treatment.

Thanks for sharing and I sooooo hope it continues for you.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #12
(female)

border234 HB User

If you have not seen an Otolaryngalogist (ENT) I suggest you do so. They will likely send you to an Audiologist who will perform a few different tests. A hearing test and a videonystagmography eval at the least. Follow any pre test intstructions so they can get the most accurate readings. Sounds like a possible combination of atypical BPPV and other peripheral vestibular finding. Without the vng completed it is difficult to know based on history alone. Good luck!

Old 10-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
(female)

Hi
Thank you for that info.
I am back to work now on phased hours for the last month but am still not right,walking is till not back to normal,still unable to roll over on my right side or lean forward and look down along with the almost constant ear noise which drives me mad !.
I have managed to get an app to see a physiotherapist and had a call today to book an appointment so hoping they have some vestibular exercises that may help.

I still as yet have got to get a docs app to get him to refer me to ENT which is proving difficult but will try to get an app soon as this has been dragging on for 4 months.

Will keep you all informed and thanx for the ongoing support.

Reply Reply