It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
(male)

mx740 HB User
Possible MAV?

November 2011 I had my first severe vertigo attack around midnight. Movement made the dizziness worst. There was no infection nor ringing in ears. It lasted around 6 hours. I rested it out. After that I felt normal until April 12th 2012.
On April 11th I practiced 2.4km the day before the actual test. I did not sleep that night as I was energized with red bull. The next day, I passed 2.4km, but not before downing another can of red bull for energy. That night my surroundings stared to spin again, there was no ringing in my ears, movement made my dizziness worst. It was not as severe as the first attack. I rested it out and immediately went for a physically demanding camp the next day. I felt normal for the next 3 days. However I started to have weird sensations after that.
My symptoms started off with extreme fatigue, lightheadedness, frequent dropping sensations, unreal to surroundings, giddy spells (with cold sweats) and constant brain fog. KKH found infection in both my ears and throat on April 19th. After a week of antibodies and ear drops, my infection stopped. Rather than the dropping sensation which now minimized to when sitting, the below symptoms are constant (24/7) from 26th April until now.
Severity level (%)
When sitting down:
(80%)Constant internal movement when still (no visual disturbances)
(80%)Elevator stopping sensation
(80%)Rocking, swaying sensation (mainly back and forth, no visual disturbances)
(60%)Frequent nausea without vomiting
(90%)Unreal fainting sensation
(90%)Fuzzy, woozy sensation in eyes
(90%)Brain fog
When walking:
(90%)Brain fog
(90%)Constant hazy, fainting sensation
(90%)Fuzzy, woozy sensation in eyes
(80%)Uncomfortably floating, high sensation
(20%)Sudden rush of falling sensation (only when standing still)

Additional details
Internal movements are somewhat relieved when Iím standing or in motion. (i.e. walking, running)
Feels better if my head is resting on a solid surface. If not, my body feels like it is unable to recognize its position in space and rocking sensation starts.
When train or car stops, I still feel like Iím moving forwards with it.
Symptoms generally gets worst throughout the day.
No boat or plane trips this year.
Rare episodic pain in the upper back of neck. Movement worsens the pain.
Light smoker and drinker for 2 years
No migraine history.
Stress and anxiety (precipitations rather than causes)
Pressure and itchiness in left ear
Betahistine does not relief symptoms
VNG detected unilateral weakness 62% to the right ear
VEMP test was normal
Dix hall pike testing did not reveal any abnormalities
Remembers experiencing a sharp stabbing pain in right ear during the camp

These symptoms are constant every moment throughout these few months and its extremely debilitating. It is severely impacting of life and studies. Emotional distresses are also consistent.
Thank you for your time.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: mx740
biteneck (08-27-2012), florida31 (08-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
(male)

mx740 HB User
Re: Possible MAV?

Anyone? Please help...

Old 08-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
(female)

biteneck HB Userbiteneck HB Userbiteneck HB User

Hello:
Possible MAV. Ssince you said you have weakness of 62%, that would be a major factor of these symptoms for inner ear disorder. I have learned that problems/weakness in the inner ears can cause so many problems, even problems you wouldn't think it could. I found it amazing how it affects so much of body. I have learned that the brain is supposed to compensate for this and learn how to operate with the weakness. It can take a while. It seems it can even take a year or two. I also read that the inner ear nerves are hard to heal because there's not much blood flow to that area, but that it can happen, just very slowly. It's like a step forward, 3 steps back. A long recovery. I hope you feel better soon.
I started having problems in March this year. I am feeling better but have problems in the stores, malls, and busy places. I get feeling disoriented. I do notice that some days are better than others and I am much better than I was in March-May. Even somewhat better than June. I was told it was a virus that affected my inner ear and now it triggered vestibular migraine. I have a constant pressure on the sides of my head. Like something is pushing inwards. I have talked to people who were able to over come this by medicine and another person who said she went through it with no meds and is fine now. But she endured through it for 4 years.
I can remember the horrible head rush feeling. I would feel an awkward sensation go through my head and my chest and feel like I could pass out too. That lasted most of March and ended early April. Now I have problems with driving, being in busy places like stores and around a lot of people. I have been told and heard that it is the visual stimuli overload and that the brain is trying to process everything. I get feeling so depressed that I won't be able to feel confident and good about getting into the car again. I'll keep you in my prayers.
Please let me know how you are too.
Take care,
Nicole

Old 02-08-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
(female)

kalemo HB User

Hi Nicole,
I am so glad to see your post. I had VN in August - was on steroids, had physical therapy for a few months and am back to work & driving, but i can't walk a few feet in stores without feeling visually overwhelmed and in desparate need of a cart to hang on to. I'm exhausted mentally after being in there for a short period of time; often feeling the need to stop and close my eyes. I come out of there feeling as if someone has spun me around; it's so disorienting. Being in a group of people will knock me for a loop, too - generally ending up with me going to lay down for an hour or so. I see your post was dated back to March 2012 and I'm wondering if you are still feeling those same balance/visual interpretation issues? I know i have to provoke the things which make me dizzy so i can learn to compensate, and I know we're not all alike in our healing, but I'm hoping I can get a gauge on how long it may take before it gets back to normal or if this is the new normal. Thanks again for your post. Kelly

Reply Reply

Tags
inner ear disorders, migraine headache dizziness vertigo