It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
(male)

jdny33 HB User
Vestibular disorder

Hello All

I am really having an issue with doctors either not knowing/understanding what a vestibular disorder is or they are insulted that everytime I see a new doctor I bring my own records and reference material. I finally found an Army NP who knew exactly what is was but she left before I could get to her. She said it is seen in combat ied or bomb blasts. They are reversable. Unfortunatley because of the severe blow to my frontal lobe I am not and will live with this forever. Confidence is shot. Brain and left eye and ear do not work together. PT doesn't work and I have a migraine 24/7. They have tried anti seizure meds but nothing and now they are trying furinol and elavil. I am on klonopin and adderrall ir. I feel socially inept. If I am in a crowded room I do not understand what's being said and have to get out. So I am becoming a hermit. Personality has changed drastically. When I explain to friends and family they just say suck it up and take an aspirin. Am I the only person with this. Very embarrassing especially when speaking because I cannot hear my own voice and sometimes what I think I am saying does not come out correctly. If I get upset or nervous I cannot speak or communicate. Mu Neuros anser to that was don't get mad or nervous. I was not happy with the advice. And as he tried to exit I challenged him to be a better doctor and help me. He said we will talk next time and then I receive a letter stating he can no longer be my dotor but I have a Chronic and serios health condition and should seek medical attention immeduiately. Is any one have any similar issue or answer. Sorry for the long and drawn out post. Just so much to tell. Thank you all for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
(male)

jdny33 HB User
Re: Vestibular disorder

Please excuse grammar. Typing on a phone keypad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdny33 View Post
Hello All

I am really having an issue with doctors either not knowing/understanding what a vestibular disorder is or they are insulted that everytime I see a new doctor I bring my own records and reference material. I finally found an Army NP who knew exactly what is was but she left before I could get to her. She said it is seen in combat ied or bomb blasts. They are reversable. Unfortunatley because of the severe blow to my frontal lobe I am not and will live with this forever. Confidence is shot. Brain and left eye and ear do not work together. PT doesn't work and I have a migraine 24/7. They have tried anti seizure meds but nothing and now they are trying furinol and elavil. I am on klonopin and adderrall ir. I feel socially inept. If I am in a crowded room I do not understand what's being said and have to get out. So I am becoming a hermit. Personality has changed drastically. When I explain to friends and family they just say suck it up and take an aspirin. Am I the only person with this. Very embarrassing especially when speaking because I cannot hear my own voice and sometimes what I think I am saying does not come out correctly. If I get upset or nervous I cannot speak or communicate. Mu Neuros anser to that was don't get mad or nervous. I was not happy with the advice. And as he tried to exit I challenged him to be a better doctor and help me. He said we will talk next time and then I receive a letter stating he can no longer be my dotor but I have a Chronic and serios health condition and should seek medical attention immeduiately. Is any one have any similar issue or answer. Sorry for the long and drawn out post. Just so much to tell. Thank you all for your time.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
(female)

aliciac20 HB User
Re: Vestibular disorder

Hi. Just read your post. I had a really difficult time trying to get a diagnosis as well. I've been to several doctors including my primary doc multiple times, two ents, an opthamologist and nothing. I have researched docs who specialize in vestibular disorders and I am making an appt with a neuro otologist or a otologist. I can empathize with you about being in a crowded place or even out with friends. I am always on edge because I can't fully enjoy myself like I once could. It is very frustrating and upsetting I'm trying to cope, it's been over a year now since my symptoms have started. That sounds like a really incompetent and horrible doctor you had that sent you a letter saying they couldn't see you anymore. that's the sad part about doctors today they arent willing to take the time to actually LISTEN to the patient and find something, they assume you are making it up or the symptoms are anxiety related or psychological but the truth is my anxiety has been through the roof because of all this, i wasn't normally an anxious person but now i'm always anxious because i'm dizzy. I just feel robbed of my old life, now i'm so limited in what i can do/what i want to do.

Reply Reply