HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Inner Ear Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/inner-ear-disorders/)
-   -   Dizziness while driving (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/inner-ear-disorders/918937-dizziness-while-driving.html)

mike486 09-17-2012 10:04 PM

Dizziness while driving

I've tried searching around, as I've tried to find someone with similar symptoms, but I didn't have much luck, so I thought I would post my symptoms in the hopes that this message board could give me some encouragement.

Almost nine months ago I experienced a major attack at a sporting event, almost passed out and felt the stadium was moving. I thought perhaps I had just locked my knees and shook off my symptoms as being of my own accord. On the ride home I had to turn over the driving to other passengers, because I felt dizzy and like was going to pass out driving the vehicle. These symptoms persisted severely for a couple of weeks, driving on the highway caused me to pull over etc. Eventually these symptoms started to improve, to the point where i could drive at highway speed with only a faint feeling in the back of my head.

That was pretty much the status quo until about three months ago, when I experience a severe attack, where I couldn't turn my head to either side without becoming dizzy. I saw the doctor, had a CT scan and was diagnosed by my audiologist with VN. I've been doing the VRT exercises and feel my general everyday activities improving, however driving is still a problem. Somedays I can drive no problem and other days I seem to really struggle, with a faint feeling of movement, light-headedness and almost a "highway hypnosis" feeling while driving at high speed. Any suggestions?

I'm off to see an ENT and potentially an neurotologist next...

txmacdee 09-18-2012 07:21 AM

Re: Dizziness while driving

Cubsmike,

Check into the symptoms of Superior Canal Dehiscence Syndrome (SCDS) or SSCD

Symptoms may include any of the following:
Autophony: Hearing person's own speech or other self-generated noises (e.g. heartbeat, eye movements, creaking joints, chewing) are heard unusually loudly in the affected ear Dizziness/ vertigo/ chronic disequilibrium caused by the dysfunction of the superior semicircular canal.
Tullio Phenomenon: Sound-induced vertigo, disequilibrium or dizziness, nystagmus and oscillopsia.
Pulse-Synchronous: Oscillopsia: is a visual disturbance in which objects in the visual field appear to oscillate. The severity of the effect may range from a mild blurring to rapid and periodic jumping. Sufferers may experience dizziness and nausea.
Hyperacusis: The over-sensitivity to sound.
Other Symptoms: Low-frequency conductive hearing loss.
Fullness: A feeling of fullness in the affected ear(s) Duh.
Pulsatile tinnitus: Clicking or rushing sound that goes along with your heartbeat.
Brain fog

Good Luck, and I hope you find the culprit and able to seek the proper treatment needed.

Dee

[QUOTE=cubsmike;5057742]I've tried searching around, as I've tried to find someone with similar symptoms, but I didn't have much luck, so I thought I would post my symptoms in the hopes that this message board could give me some encouragement.

Almost nine months ago I experienced a major attack at a sporting event, almost passed out and felt the stadium was moving. I thought perhaps I had just locked my knees and shook off my symptoms as being of my own accord. On the ride home I had to turn over the driving to other passengers, because I felt dizzy and like was going to pass out driving the vehicle. These symptoms persisted severely for a couple of weeks, driving on the highway caused me to pull over etc. Eventually these symptoms started to improve, to the point where i could drive at highway speed with only a faint feeling in the back of my head.

That was pretty much the status quo until about three months ago, when I experience a severe attack, where I couldn't turn my head to either side without becoming dizzy. I saw the doctor, had a CT scan and was diagnosed by my audiologist with VN. I've been doing the VRT exercises and feel my general everyday activities improving, however driving is still a problem. Somedays I can drive no problem and other days I seem to really struggle, with a faint feeling of movement, light-headedness and almost a "highway hypnosis" feeling while driving at high speed. Any suggestions?

I'm off to see an ENT and potentially an neurotologist next...[/QUOTE]

ktlnalxs 11-08-2012 01:15 PM

Hey there, I know it's been a while since you posted this, but I thought I'd reply anyways just in case any one else with this problem stumbles upon this page.

I would recommend seeing a Neuro Opthamologist. This sounds exactly like what I experienced when I was 17. I put off going to the Doctor, though, until I was 20. NOT a good idea.

I was diagnosed with Acquired Nystagmus and Oscillation. Explained as rapid involuntary eye movements, which can cause dizziness, vertigo, headaches and more.

One thing I can say about driving is when you start to feel as though you are in that hypnotic state try to look elsewhere for a brief moment and then look back to the road. I have to do this a lot while driving. If you do start to feel dizzy and panicky take a few deep breaths and remind yourself that you know how to drive.

If you don't feel like you can drive, don't. I no longer drive for long periods of time, at night or on major highways. Which is difficult considering driving used to be my favorite thing.

JDinFL2013 08-14-2013 07:09 PM

I get the same problems. It all started over 12 years ago when I got violently ill and vomited every time I stood up.

First symptoms were "trails" while grocery shopping and driving home coupled with a strange feeling. (I may have eaten a bad steak and got food poising I thought).

Then it went away. A day or two later I vomited for 24 hours before I went to the hospital (not the whole time of course but a good portion of it).

I was diagnosed with some form of vertigo.

Now I get dizzy when driving over 65 mpg (or less!) for long periods or over certain types of bridges (low walls); when flying and closing my eyes I feel every bump and if I fall asleep even for a second while flying I wake up feeling like the plane is upside down until I get my bearings (thus I stare out the window on a fixed point like a cloud or wing). It's not fun. Hiking is fine until I reach a ridge and walk with objects moving in my peripheral vision which causes vertigo - looking over a ledge is not that big of a deal though if I am stopped.

While driving my neck and shoulders, especially left should blade area get extremely tense and stiff once/before the dizziness starts. Headchecks are a BIG issue as the whole road seems to shift momentarily - not fun while passing. I can drive 80 for periods but once a little tired or at night the dizzyness starts.

On a recent long trip it was very bad so I tried different things. The ONLY thing that seemed to actually work was to constantly move my shoulders in circles and from side to side - seemed to loosen things up and smoothed out the ride (no more wheel snaps back and forth!). But of course that gets tiring after a while. So I am told I have to see an opthamologist, ENT and or neurologist (I saw one who prescribed Diazapam when needed but who wants to take Valium - even a little when driving!).

Also, I cannot close my eyes and walk straight. I seem to drift to the right or fall over if I stand still and lift one leg with my eyes close. I play a lot of sports and have no issues with my eyes open.

Sorry for the long post but maybe you experience some of the same issues. Tinnitus seems to also occur but not often.