It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
(female)

kimberleyb HB User
Depersonalisation & depression caused by inner ear problem

Hi,
I went to an ENT appointment last week after suffering from 24/7 dizziness and vertigo following a sinus infection. He just said I'd had a virus (didn't give it a name) and seemed to be on the mend, so I should push myself to do things.

I seem to be over the worst of the vertigo symptoms - I couldn't even walk when it first started, as I felt like I would pass out. Now I'm at the stage where walking is uncomfortable, but manageable. Shops, turning corners and doing complicated tasks cause extra dizziness. I'm tired all the time. But it's much better than it was.

What hasn't gone is the depersonalisation, feeling like I'm going through the motions, not in the same world as everyone else, in a dream, not really me.

Over the past week, this has caused severe depression. Let me explain that.
It's not like I am down, upset or anxious. I have come to terms with being ill and am doing all I can to make it go away quickly, but otherwise I'm just accepting it as it is and trying to be patient.

I think the depression is actually being caused by the physical symptoms. I think my screwy physical perception and disconnectedness is what is causing the depression. Of course that causes a low, flat mood, disinterest in things, fatigue, everything is too much effort - but I'm not massively unhappy because of my circumstances, if that makes sense.

Anyone had this? What did you do? I feel like there is nothing I can do to alleviate my depression, because it is being caused by my symptoms, not my state of mind. I don't feel like I'm myself at all - I'm usually very positive and upbeat. I can't even bring myself to smile at the moment.

I'm having an MRI in a month and a follow-up ENT appointment a month after that. Any ideas to help me until then?

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
(male)

manybikes HB Usermanybikes HB User
Re: Depersonalisation & depression caused by inner ear problem

I know what you are going through.
Keep in mind my opinion is not professional (I am not a Dr.)

Once one or both of your inner ears malfunction you very quickly realize just how important these tiny little organs are. You only have to read a few of the posts here to realize that.
They give your brain information on body position, orientation, acceleration etc.
This allows your brain the freedom to tend to other functions like, learning, emotion, work and a thousand other things.
Once the signals from the inner ears stop or start to malfunction your brain is forced to deal with the task of compensating for this loss of reliable information. Walking upright in a straight line is not so simple anymore and you soon realize how much brain power it really takes to do that.
Your brain is now forced to take on additional very hard work that it never really had to do before.
This extra work load can cause mental overload and fatigue.
Add to this you are now scared, worried and anxious as you wait for various tests and their results.

All of this can really wear you down and you end up in an emotional rodeo.
What you are feeling right now seems to be a very common side effect of inner ear function gone wrong.

I know it's not real pro advice or analysis but I have been there and done that.
Your strange feelings of detachment, brain fog, depression etc. will pass.

Last edited by manybikes; 10-25-2012 at 10:38 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to manybikes For This Useful Post:
kimberleyb (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 03:34 AM   #3
(male)

Chuckee HB User

Hey sorry to hear what you are going through! I'm experiencing the same problems at the moment. It's been on going for over 3 months. I've tried to stay positive but it feels like everything's been taken from me and its impossible for me to enjoy life. I'm a real sad sack and don't really like being around anyone because it makes me depressed when I see everyone else enjoying their normality. The foggyness and third person feeling is driving me insane I wake up constantly during the night hoping that a miracle has happened and that I'm back to normal.....sounds crazy but I'm left with no real options. It's hard to explain to people also because they can't see a broken arm or a bandage they don't really understand what your going through.

I really hope you have recovered or getting better because I know how much it sucks!

Old 10-26-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
(male)

Chuckee HB User

Hey sorry to hear what you are going through! I'm experiencing the same problems at the moment. It's been on going for over 3 months. I've tried to stay positive but it feels like everything's been taken from me and its impossible for me to enjoy life. I'm a real sad sack and don't really like being around anyone because it makes me depressed when I see everyone else enjoying their normality. The foggyness and third person feeling is driving me insane I wake up constantly during the night hoping that a miracle has happened and that I'm back to normal.....sounds crazy but I'm left with no real options. It's hard to explain to people also because they can't see a broken arm or a bandage they don't really understand what your going through.

I really hope you have recovered or getting better because I know how much it sucks!

The following user gives a hug of support to Chuckee:
kimberleyb (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 03:55 AM   #5
(female)

kimberleyb HB User

Thanks for replying both of you. It helps to know I'm not alone. An update: I'm now only getting dizzy when I do something unusual (going out at night, going into town etc). It's true that you need to push yourself to get used to your environment. I'm fine at home and going to local shops now. The depersonalisation has majorly improved too. So it does take time and little efforts often.

But now my depression has worsened from a flat-to-everything mood to a constant low mood and severe spikes of depression. Yikes. I'm usually very positive and happy. I'm sure it will pass in time, but it's very difficult right now. I'm a recovering alcoholic, so it's bringing up thoughts of drinking. I had to call Samaritans last night because I needed to talk. I do have a depressive past though, so...

I guess it will all get better with time and doing the right thing - I just would like a timescale as it's difficult to feel cr@p everyday without an end in sight. I've no doubt I will get back to normal, but it's a trying time right now. Thanks for listening - and it does get better!

Old 11-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
(female)

tsote HB User

Hi,

I have been having a lot of the same symptoms. How are you feeling now?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
(female)

ErinZ HB User

I don't have the dizziness but I do have the 24/7 depersonalization. I have eustachian tube dysfunction but haven't found a way to clear it up.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #8
(female)

kimberleyb HB User

Hey all,

Sorry to hear so many people suffering from these mental issues added to the physical. It's so tough!

After yet another sinus issue has taken hold, and knocked me off balance again, I have cracked and asked the doc to give me anti-depressants. I just can't get through this on my own anymore. I've been ill since the beginning of June and it's just too much now.

So I've just started 2 lots of antibitoics and 10mg Citalopram. I hope it will help me through the months it will take to compensate again. To be honest the derealization and numbness was hard, but not as hard as the crushing lows I experienced just as that was wearing off. Hope you guys don't have to suffer the same thing.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
(female)

xkhmx HB User

I'm feeling the same way right now, I had an ear infection about a month ago and began feeling depressed and experiencing depersonalization. I just let the ear infection heal itself, and it was gone after about a week, but I still feel the same way. Anyone that felt like this, have you gotten better? I just want to know when I'll be feeling like myself again, or if I should see a doctor.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
(female)

kimberleyb HB User

Hya,

I just saw your post, so I thought I'd reply. I am 99% better now. I still get pressure changes in my ears for no reason, and I think I have a few more headaches than before, but otherwise both physically and mentally everything is fine.

However, it was necessary for me to be on anti-depressants for a few months to get back on track. I am usually the last persn to take meds, but I really was at the end of my rope, and I'm usually a very upbeat person. I took a low dose of Citalopram for about 3 months. The first week's side effects were horrid (although no worse than the illness itself!), but it was totally worth it, as I started to feel better very, very quickly and the side effects lessened after the first week.

It was just the boost my system needed. Ths illness basically puts your system out of whack and I found that the pills were a lifesaver. I don't know how long the depression might have gone on without them, but I knew I could take no more of it.

My advice is to speak to your doctor. And do what is necessary.

Hope you feel better soon.
X

Old 05-29-2013, 04:20 AM   #11
(male)

Good to hear you are back on track Kimberleyb!

What kind of side effects did the Citalopram give you?

Old 05-29-2013, 04:29 AM   #12
(female)

kimberleyb HB User

Day 1: Extreme tiredness and dopiness. Inability to sleep.
Day 2: Felt like I was coming up on drugs - slightly manic.
Day 3: Increased appetite, but too nauseous to eat much. Very dry mouth.

Days 4-8: Rinse and repeat days 1-3

After that I was fine. The only continued side effects were increased appetite and, put blunty, sexual problems. It took a lot of work achieve the big O, and even then the effect was diminshed. But I was happy to cope with this for a few months in order to get my brain back where it was supposed to be, lol. I already started feeling better inthe first few weeks, and stayed on them for 3 months before I felt well enough to discontinue.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
(male)

Thanks for the info!

Old 06-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
(female)

xkhmx HB User

I have some good days, some bad, I would hope it would get better but I don't know anymore. Maybe I should see a doctor. I just don't have anyone to talk to about this that understands

Old 11-06-2013, 11:21 PM   #15
(female)

ErinZ HB User

Kimberly and others,

Anyone feeling better? Were you able to get rid of the unreal feeling?

Reply Reply