It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
(female)

Lauren29 HB User
Why is my brain fog back????

I haven't been on these boards in 3 years. I have had 2 children since then and I felt like I was doing it, I was coping I was getting by and I wasn't thinking about being dizzy as much. Then 3 months after my son was born in an instant the brain fog is back. I always found that to be the most troubling symptom of this inner ear disorder and now I am back to feeling just as I did when this all started. I wake up with a lump in my throat having to face the day feeling like I am out of it while trying to be a good mom to my kids. I am crying non stop the anxiety is back full force and I am angry. I don't want to live like this. I spend my time day dreaming about how I used to feel and begging God to make it go away. I have made a couple of doctors appointment so far with no luck. THe ENT said viral labyrinthitus and that I would have to live with it. I have an appointment with an Otolarynologist tomorrow and I just don't have high hopes about it as I have been through this all before. I feel like I have very little support from this invisable illness bc nobody knows what you are talking about and you feel like no one believes you, bc it is such a strange sensation that no one would normally feel without their inner ear being damaged. I really don't want to live like this...I want it GONE. I feel so deeply for everyone here on these boards and know what you are going through. I wish there was a support group here where I live but I have not found one. I hate being the dizzy mom and not fully being the Mom that I want to be. It makes me sad, I used to be so strong and now I do not know where to turn anymore. I want to really up and become stronger from this when it becomes a distant memory, but when something just won't go away and there is no definate cure you become broken and sad and just don't know where to turn. Anyone have anything helpful information about how to beat this thing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2013, 03:54 AM   #2
(female)

skimordiegirl HB User
Re: Why is my brain fog back????

Hi, I am going through he same thing now. After I had my son all symptoms came back and then some. I don't like the brain fog either... My vision also got worse too. How are you doing now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren29 View Post
I haven't been on these boards in 3 years. I have had 2 children since then and I felt like I was doing it, I was coping I was getting by and I wasn't thinking about being dizzy as much. Then 3 months after my son was born in an instant the brain fog is back. I always found that to be the most troubling symptom of this inner ear disorder and now I am back to feeling just as I did when this all started. I wake up with a lump in my throat having to face the day feeling like I am out of it while trying to be a good mom to my kids. I am crying non stop the anxiety is back full force and I am angry. I don't want to live like this. I spend my time day dreaming about how I used to feel and begging God to make it go away. I have made a couple of doctors appointment so far with no luck. THe ENT said viral labyrinthitus and that I would have to live with it. I have an appointment with an Otolarynologist tomorrow and I just don't have high hopes about it as I have been through this all before. I feel like I have very little support from this invisable illness bc nobody knows what you are talking about and you feel like no one believes you, bc it is such a strange sensation that no one would normally feel without their inner ear being damaged. I really don't want to live like this...I want it GONE. I feel so deeply for everyone here on these boards and know what you are going through. I wish there was a support group here where I live but I have not found one. I hate being the dizzy mom and not fully being the Mom that I want to be. It makes me sad, I used to be so strong and now I do not know where to turn anymore. I want to really up and become stronger from this when it becomes a distant memory, but when something just won't go away and there is no definate cure you become broken and sad and just don't know where to turn. Anyone have anything helpful information about how to beat this thing?

Old 12-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Hi,

You do not have viral labyrinthitis. It does not recur like that. If your symptoms have returned following child birth like this you almost certainly have vestibular migraine. Check out mvertigo for more information. To stop this you'll need to follow a migraine lifestyle and will probably need a migraine medicine.

S

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to studyin For This Useful Post:
biteneck (12-24-2013), skimordiegirl (12-24-2013)
Old 12-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #4
(female)

biteneck HB Userbiteneck HB Userbiteneck HB User

Hello there,
I understand about the way Lauren is feeling. I got dizzy in March 2012 and have not felt the same since before then. I had a sinus infection right before getting this and now I constantly have the brain fog, feelings that things are unreal and it gets my stomach sick and it sometimes get so bad that I feel like I'm in a bad dream and cannot wake up. I think there's a lot of anxiety with that. My neuro-otologist prescribed me Klonopin. I have a 2 year old daughter and all this hit me 2.5 months after she was born. Any thoughts or advice about the Klonopin? It doesn't seem to be helping much but does help me sleep. When I first got this, I felt a horrible electric kind of sensation that went from my chest to my head and I would then get dizzy. That all stopped about 3 months into it. Is that normal? I get disoriented in stores and in the dark outside. I am so scared to be in the car and driving so I cannot take my little girl anywhere. Just the thought of driving seems to give me anxiety/panic attacks and I start getting racing thoughts. Inner ear doctor just told me it is visual vestibular hypersensitivity, aka, migraine associated vertigo. The caloric testing last May 2012 showed 25% damage to my left ear but I don't trust that woman who did it. My rotation chair test showed some inner ear problems I was told. I just want to feel more confidant. I'm afraid of passing out and that fear of dying like Lauren said is so scary that I am even afraid to shower. I heard antidepressant can help with the anxiety so the brain can start to compensate better. I wonder which ones would be best for vestibular help Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
(female)

skimordiegirl HB User

Hi Biteneck, that is exactly what I am going through. I did good in ssri until I stopped. Now I have migraines, but am on verapamil. My peripheral vision is distorted with fast movement and I see trails and stuff now. I am so scared and don't know what to do. My son is now 4 and I rely on my husband for so much. Merry Christmas to you!

The following user gives a hug of support to skimordiegirl:
biteneck (03-12-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimordiegirl View Post
Hi Biteneck, that is exactly what I am going through. I did good in ssri until I stopped. Now I have migraines, but am on verapamil. My peripheral vision is distorted with fast movement and I see trails and stuff now. I am so scared and don't know what to do. My son is now 4 and I rely on my husband for so much. Merry Christmas to you!
Hi skimordiegirl,
I was wondering how you are feeling now. I'm still pretty much the same way, but the klonopin seems to help a little with anxiety. It's still there but does not seem to be as bad.
Do you still get the surreal, dream-like feelings in your head? Where it feels like nothing is real and you are slightly disoriented? Scares the crap out of me still. But I think the klonopin might help with the panic of those feelings. I still have them but I seem to handle them a little better. I am hoping to get on an anti-migraine med. My next appt. is Apr 22nd.
Please let me know how you are doing and what anti-depressant/SSRI were you taking before that made you feel better. Did it take away the dizzies and dream-like state?
Thank you
Nicole

Old 04-09-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Hi skimordiegirl,
I was wondering how you are feeling now. I'm still pretty much the same way, but the klonopin seems to help a little with anxiety. It's still there but does not seem to be as bad.
Do you still get the surreal, dream-like feelings in your head? Where it feels like nothing is real and you are slightly disoriented? Scares the crap out of me still. But I think the klonopin might help with the panic of those feelings. I still have them but I seem to handle them a little better. I am hoping to get on an anti-migraine med. My next appt. is Apr 22nd.
Please let me know how you are doing and what anti-depressant/SSRI were you taking before that made you feel better. Did it take away the dizzies and dream-like state?
Thank you
Nicole

Old 04-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #8
(female)

skimordiegirl HB User

Hi Nicole,

I am doing fine, still get the brain fog at times and occasionally the unreal feeling.

I was taking Prozac before and that helped for a year or so.

Just keep with the med and distract yourself.
Xo

Quote:
Originally Posted by biteneck View Post
Hi skimordiegirl,
Thank you
Nicole

Old 04-10-2014, 09:15 AM   #9
(female)

Hello again,
I wanted to ask if any of the brain fog or unreal feelings keep you from driving. Are you on any meds right now that help any of this? And was it MAV you had?
Thank you,
Nicole

Old 06-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Hi Nicole,

I am doing fine, still get the brain fog at times and occasionally the unreal feeling.

Xo
Hi Skimordiegirl,
How are you doing now? I still have Lexapro in my bathroom. I am afraid to take it. I guess I'm concerned it'll hurt me by making panic or anxiety worse. Although, if I get on it, and am still on Klonopin, the K would help initial panic or anxiety. What SSRI were you on before that helped to take away the dizzies in stores and the panic of driving? I get so panicky and it makes it worse for me. I hate feeling like I'm not there and not one with the world. Do you feel this way anymore? It's very disturbing and unsettling.
I hope you are doing better.
Take care,
Nicole

Old 06-25-2014, 05:15 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Hi Nicole,

Xo
Hi Skimordiegirl,
How are you doing now? I still have Lexapro in my bathroom. I am afraid to take it. I guess I'm concerned it'll hurt me by making panic or anxiety worse. Although, if I get on it, and am still on Klonopin, the K would help initial panic or anxiety. What SSRI were you on before that helped to take away the dizzies in stores and the panic of driving? I get so panicky and it makes it worse for me. I hate feeling like I'm not there and not one with the world. Do you feel this way anymore? It's very disturbing and unsettling.
I hope you are doing better.
Take care,
Nicole

Reply Reply