It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
(female)

elementsofme HB User
Just diagnosed after 2 1/2 years

Hi

I wanted to share my story. I was CE with a high flighing career. I was at work and felt terrible one day, the world was wobbling, my face went numb, I couldnt see straight and I couldnt think straight. I went to the Docs - he said I had winter blues and to go away basically. I kept going that week and on the Friday morning I passed out the symtoms were so bad. I was diagnosed Labrynthitus at the hospital (I now know wrongly) My stupid doc however didnt believe that and signed me off with malase (tiredness).
I was off work 3 months and for 3 weeks actually couldnt sit up never mind stand!! They did a brain scan - it showed nothing.
I then staggered back to work - no medical support, no care and a huge job to face.
I noticed my brain didnt work like it did. It was slower, actually stalled in places, the world appeared wobbly, strange, I was disconnected, I stumbled alot and slurred, it left me with crazy tinitus and the unbearable life sapping exhaustion and I couldnt process conversations and my brain forgot whole passages of information, I cant track maps and now dont like busy places and shops are a nightmare. My eyes were dry too.
I continually went to the GP for 2 1/2 years - I was diangnosed depressed, stressed, menopausal, ME, .....you name it!!!
I then went for a hearing test and it showed very strange unusual deafness. I went back to my doctors - this time I lost it ...........not me but I was at my end. I had hidden in 3 jobs - moving when I was spotted not to be the woman I was and trying to keep my life together.
This one took me seriously and called it an episode - she sent me to an Audiovestibular Physician. He said I had been mis diagnosed. I had had Bilateral Vestibilar Neurolitis and it had left me with Bilateral Vestibular Hypofunction, with visual vertigo and also I wasnt deaf I was also left with APD (Audi Processing Disorder) bascially he recognised I had been a very sick lady (how important was that to me!!!!!!!!) . My right side is the worse with no function at all and my left is just severly damaged!!
I now face months of rehab and continual tests to find the extent of my illness. I feel vindicated angry sad confused - its 2 1/2 years how will the rehab go? ................if only they had listened? Is this for life???
I feel lonely (even though I have an amazing family) and to look at me everyone thinks I look great (I kept that up!!). I was looking for a cure - now what??
I thought my story might help someone out there in the same dark place I am.
Keep fighting for good care - I did and will continue to prove I am still that driven dynamic go getting woman I was - even though I need loads of sleep!!!
So they you have it ...I am officially a dizzy cow ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to elementsofme For This Useful Post:
LawryH (11-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
(female)

lyssabugg HB User
Re: Just diagnosed after 2 1/2 years

what were your symptoms 2 years ago? And now?

Reply Reply