It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
(female)

lovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB User
Question VN a couple years ago, now something new?

Hi guys! I'm hoping you might be able to give me your 2 cents.

Ever since having VN it has been a slow but steady healing process, and I am long "good" with just the odd minor decomp, ie, when I've been sick with a bad cold.

Three months ago, we moved to a new home. The move took a lot out of me and when we first moved in I had some dizziness and rough mornings. Since that time, I've had the feeling that sleeping on my right side makes me dizzy (same ear that was affected by VN). About a month ago I went away with my mom, and I got the "other side of the bed" so slept on my right side. I kind of forgot, I guess. Woke up very nauseous and awful feeling, couldn't eat breakfast.

Yesterday I was perfectly fine. 100%. This morning I woke up, realized it was 8:15 (overslept) and jumped out of bed. Had nasty spinning (like my eyes kept tracking to the right), and ended up vomiting an hour or two later. I feel like it could be true vertigo, as I never really had the spinny kind throughout the VN. I am feeling a lot better after being in bed most of the day, but still a bit off.

I have been having migraines almost every day lately (in the midst of finding a solution) so I wonder if it could be MAV, but have also wondered on several occasions lately if maybe I've developed BPPV. What makes me think maybe it isn't, is that everything I read says dizziness only lasts for seconds with BPPV.
At the same time I read that BPPV can be atypical in people who've had VN.

Help! Would love to hear what you think. Thanks so much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
(female)

lovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB Userlovineachday HB User
Re: VN a couple years ago, now something new?

Update, in case anyone cares. Lol

I saw a physio today who did some testing for bppv. He noticed some mild nystagmus that was pulsing to the right and did the lempert maneuver. It went fine, just moderate to minor dizziness. He seemed very knowledgable and thorough.. I was there for over an hour. He took his time in between positions to make sure I recovered. He told me to do the lempert once a day and sleep semi reclined for three nights and not to tilt my head to the side or up. He thinks ill be good within the week.. Fingers crossed!!!!! Made another appt for next week.

I'm still not a hundred percent convinced it is not migraine related. But I found this in regards to MAV:
"When patients are examined acutely when vertiginous, there is usually minimal or no spontaneous nystagmus. This provides a differential feature from most peripheral vestibular syndromes. When nystagmus is present, it is often directed vertically (e.g. upbeating or downbeating). Vertically directed spontaneous nystagmus is unusual in other contexts, providing another differential point."

My dr is putting me on Topamax for my migraines... On the off chance it's migraine related, hopefully this med will help me. The neuro I saw said that the pain centre in my brain needs to be reset with a preventative. After a few months hopefully I can wean off it. Anyone know anything about this med?

If you have an opinion on any of this, please do share! Thanks!

Old 12-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

I think you are dealing with MAV. Very clear actually. Topamax should end the problem.

Good luck

Old 01-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
(female)

Thanks, studyin... I appreciate your 2 cents.

I ended up switching meds to Verapamil but had to go off it. Long uninteresting story... In the meantime I started using Magnesium oil/gel and 2-3 weeks in had EIGHT migraine FREE days!!!!! It's a freakin' miracle! Unfortunately, hormones intervened and broke the good stretch. I've been very dizzy the last couple of days and had one bad migraine. I generally have a migraine every day when I'm "hormonal", so I wonder if some of my migraines are being replaced by dizziness. That possible/make sense? I'm feeling a little better now.... praying that as my magnesium levels rise over the course of the next weeks/months, I will feel better. Maybe the neuro I am seeing at the end of the month will put me on something preventative. Anything to not feel at the mercy of migraines/dizziness, esp the dizziness. In the meantime, I am hopeful that the magnesium will help me out.

Wishing everyone a healthy, feeling good new year.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
(female)

Brooke2DD HB User

Hi Lovineach day,
I just read your post. I have been diagnosed with VN too. That was in December. I'm sure you may have given me advice on nausea on another post? ? Anyway, I am now getting daily migraines & shaky eyes which I have had since the VN. The migraines are getting unbearable. I've just started Amitriptyline a few days ago. Nothing yet. I don't want to take ibuprofen all the time, but I can't think straight.

Do you have the shaky eyes too??
Thanks, Brooke 2DD

Old 03-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #6
(female)

The shaky eyes are called nystagmus. I had them when I had the VN way back when. I hope the meds work for you! Having migraine, and dizziness and nausea at the same time is miserable. Hang in there!! There IS light at the end of the tunnel! I'm not currently on a preventative but having migraines every day. A pain free day is always like "Wow!!!" . But I'm hopeful to soon see the end of this. I'm working with a neuro who I see again soon. She put me on vit D, B, magnesium, protein within an hour of waking and LOTS of water every day. So far no big improvement but my last cycle was much easier with the dizziness.

I also started going to an acupuncture migraine clinic.
I am very excited about it. Every time I am there I talk to someone who is having success (ie havent had a migraine in weeks, off all meds and going home, heard about the clinic from a coworker who went there and hasnt had a migraine in three years, etc). Apparently it is one of the two most successful migraine clinics in the world. Pretty incredible stories. Hard to understand how it works but I will do anything! There are people there from all over the world. People go and stay for weeks/months and get several treatments a day. I am praying to be back with my success story! I will post on every board I know if I get relief, however I get it!

Take care! Try to keep your chin up... This too shall pass. ❤

Old 03-08-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
(female)

Brooke2DD HB User

Thanks for your reply. Great to hear about the acupuncture, that's so interesting. Letvme know if it works for you.
What happened with your nystagmus? I have had it since October, one month after all this started. Did you take meds for it or VRT?

Thanks,
Brooke.

QUOTE=lovineachday;5143671]The shaky eyes are called nystagmus. I had them when I had the VN way back when. I hope the meds work for you! Having migraine, and dizziness and nausea at the same time is miserable. Hang in there!! There IS light at the end of the tunnel! I'm not currently on a preventative but having migraines every day. A pain free day is always like "Wow!!!" . But I'm hopeful to soon see the end of this. I'm working with a neuro who I see again soon. She put me on vit D, B, magnesium, protein within an hour of waking and LOTS of water every day. So far no big improvement but my last cycle was much easier with the dizziness.

I also started going to an acupuncture migraine clinic.
I am very excited about it. Every time I am there I talk to someone who is having success (ie havent had a migraine in weeks, off all meds and going home, heard about the clinic from a coworker who went there and hasnt had a migraine in three years, etc). Apparently it is one of the two most successful migraine clinics in the world. Pretty incredible stories. Hard to understand how it works but I will do anything! There are people there from all over the world. People go and stay for weeks/months and get several treatments a day. I am praying to be back with my success story! I will post on every board I know if I get relief, however I get it!

Take care! Try to keep your chin up... This too shall pass. ❤[/QUOTE]

Old 03-09-2013, 04:40 AM   #8
(female)

I did do the VRT but I'm not sure if that got rid of it or if it was just time. Maybe someone else here knows? It's annoying, I know. Try to keep moving. That in in itself is a form of VRT.

I will definitely keep you posted on the acupuncture! Something else that might interest you is trigger point therapy in relation to migraine. Maybe you want to look it up. And magnesium. Sorry, don't remember what's already been mentioned in this thread.

Have a good weekend!

Reply Reply