It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
(female)

Toadlee HB User
Menieres and headaches

I'm new to this board and have a couple questions. I've had MD for a couple years, but only got a diagnosis earlier this year. I've only had 2 severe attacks, but they were bad. The last one was a week ago, and I had some rather dramatic vomiting, which gave me a doozy of a headache. I continue to have a severe headache now a week later. Sometimes horrid, sometimes not bad. It's especially bad as the day wears on and my neck is also very sore. Should I see a dr or is this just part of my new private hell?

Also, can anyone recommend a good menieres dr in the sf bay area. I was diagnosed at Stanford, but they were so hard to get in to, and so unhelpful. The dr handed me a brochure and ushered me out. I have no idea how to proceed, but I don't think I'll do it with them.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User
Re: Menieres and headaches

Hi there,

What makes you so certain you are dealing with Meniere's? What *specific* indicators pointed to this conclusion?

You are exhibiting classic migraine associated vertigo symptoms. Have you looked at that yet? Don't make the mistake of thinking you have MD when for most, it ends up being MAV.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
(female)

Toadlee HB User

I think it's pretty classic Menderes. I started losing my hearing in one ear a couple years ago, and it's now pretty much gone, especially in the low frequencies. I had an MRI to rule out AN, and started having vertigo about 6 months ago. At first, just a single severe attack with vomiting, which resolved after a few hours. Then small vertigo episodes and some nausea. No headaches. And at 54' I've never had a migraine. This last vertigo attack, however, was severe and I had some violent vomiting which gave me a rip-roaring headache. That turned into a one-sided headache that persists after more than 2 weeks. I tried some imitrex which helped for a day, but then it returned. Not as bad tho.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

The hearing loss certainly indicates Menieres. Migraine and MD occur together in many patients -- higher than would be expected by chance. If I were you I'd start treating migraine and you'll almost certainly see many of your symptoms improve.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
(female)

Toadlee HB User
Thumbs up Re: Menieres and headaches

That's interesting; I'll check into that.
I think I've nailed down the source of the headache; muscular. The pain has been gradually diminishing and now I can tell that it's coming from my neck and back. To confirm, I had a really good massage and bammo; it's much better. I think the forcefull vomiting caused muscle spasms that were bad enough to provoke a headache.

Thanks for the information. Great to have a place to pose questions and get answers.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Be aware that migraine causes sore muscles -- particularly in the neck and shoulders via the trigeminal nerve. Many make the mistake thinking they have neck pathology and spend thousands on a chiropractor or physio. Treat the migraine disease and the pain will vanish. I'm such a person who has been down this track. It's well known in the literature.

Reply Reply