It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 PM   #1
(male)

rob Califor HB User
Prednisone works for Cochlear Hydrops

Does anyone know how long it takes for a single dose of 60mg to have an effect? My background: I have cochlear hydrops. Each time I have an episode I have to start another course, usually for 8 days as I taper down from 60mg (30mg morning + 30mg night and reduced to 5mg in like manner by the end of the course.) My intervals of blissful relief usually last only from 7 days to 2/-1/2 weeks. The attack starts with tinnitus, fullness of the ear (which increases by the hour), and eventually by the end of several hours I additionally start experiencing hearing loss. I've learned to avert the damage to my nerve in the inner ear by starting the course sooner than I used to wait, thus preserving my hearing. So today, I started with an entire 60mg because I had another fluctuation and I wanted to knock it out of me harder and faster. I have never taken 60mg all at once, so I was wondering how long I should wait before the Prednisone should expect to kick in? Would appreciate hearing about others' experiences with this med. Will also post my results to let everyone know how this larger starting dose affects me.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
(male)

treborg HB User
Re: Prednisone works for Cochlear Hydrops

Hi Rob Califor,

I am quite new in the world of hearing loss and am not sure my reply will answer anything but will share my experience anyway. It started the 25th of November 2012 when I woke up with an fullness feel in my right ear. I quickly realized I was not hearing the same on both hear where, contrary to my left ear, I had no rumble sound when blocking my right ear with my finger. Then, sound distortion appeared (robot-like sound effect). On the 5th day, I had enough and went to see the ENT. He confirmed I had an sudden sensorineural hearing loss of -50db in the low and mid frequency. Cause unknown. Tympanic membrane test were ok. He prescribed me a 5 day course prednisone 50mg (once a day in morning). On the 8th day into treatment, fullness and distortion disappeared. I was very optimistic on the outcome of treatment at this point. On the 13th day of treatment, ear fullness and huge tinnitus appeared and 2 days later distortion reappeared. My ENT prescribed another course of prednisone 50mg (once a day in morning) for 7 day. No gain with that course. I am now following an intra tympanic injections of steroids treatment (3 injections over 1 month). Had my last injection on the Jan 29th 2013. My ENT says I must wait 1 more month to make any conclusion on that treatment.
To date, the cause of my hearing loss is still unknown. Méniere, Hydrops and viral are the most probable but one top ENT told me I may have suffer from arterial spasm in my cochlea. Only one artery feeds it. My condition varies a little from day to day but all symptoms (fullness, tinnitus, hearing loss and distortion) are constant.
Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to treborg For This Useful Post:
Rightwingfulbac (02-02-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
(male)

Rightwingfulbac HB User

Treborg- Useful information. I have more questions from being one week into my pulsatile tinnitus accompanied by new onset Vertigo. I just happened to get a Brain MRI the day before my first ever attack of severe Vertigo. The ER MD believes it is not CNS, but peripherally borne.
I have follow up in two days, and as I'm an Emergency Medical professional, have been doing research. Do you folks here know if PT is often accompanied by "progressive" hearing loss?
How does one narrow their etiology to say a viral cause? I had a Zoster sore form on my lip just days after-which could be from the stress.
I had been having difficulty with the sleeping, before realizing it was internal noise! So I am due for hearing test soon as well.
Can anyone enumerate this ultrasound of the inner ear a bit? I read that sometimes the pulsation can be heard this way. Further I read that biopsy of ones' vessels is definative, and may lead to ligation(closure by surgery)to end the problem.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
(male)

treborg HB User

Rightwingfulbac- sorry for your severe vertigo. I had one episode of this when the ENT did the first intra-tympanic injection, and so I do understand your distress with this. The 2 other injections went more smoothly with only mild vertigo.
I would not know about progressive hearing loss with PT. My tinnitus is constant and made of a shhhh (like white noise) and a hummm (like an electrical hum). Sometimes I only have one of them but most of the they are together.

Never heard about the biopsy and read that any attempt to cut off part or all the nerve would only increase the tinnitus. One top ENT with whom I talked told me that 1)pills for tinnitus are 5 years away (a lot of $$$ and research is being done at this time), and 2) brain sub-cortex will reorganize and compensate (partially at least) for the distortion which is major in my case, and to a lesser extent hearing loss by better discrimination of the sound. He was very enthusiast and optimistic that.

Reply Reply

Tags
cochlear hydrops, ear fullness, meniere's disease, prednisone