It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
(female)

Bond858 HB User
Meniere's

Has anyone successfully treated Meniere's with vitamins or herbs?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #2
(female)

Ginger16 HB User
Re: Meniere's

Currently there is no known cure for Meniere's Disease. The best way in treating MD is through diet. There are a lot of foods that trigger episodes such as anything with salt, caffeine, nuts, red wine, processed meats, watermelon, etc. Unfortunately the list goes on and on. I know this might not be your case, but Ménière's disease is highly highly misdiagnosed. There are four red flag symptoms related to MD. Low pitched roaring tinnitus in the affected ear. The tinnitus tends to increase in severity either right before, during or immediately following an episode. Aural fullness or pressure in the affected ear that also tends to increase during an episode. Low frequency or low pitched hearing loss that tends to fluctuate especially during an episode. Eventually all pitches will be affected and the hearing loss will stop fluctuating in later stages of the disease and will eventually become quite severe. Lastly the main and most severe symptom of MD is the vertigo, which is a true violent spinning sensation where the room and objects are spinning around you whether your eyes are open or closed. The episodes of vertigo tend to last for several minutes or hours, however some patients experience vertigo for days at a time before symptoms ameliorate. This often leads to nausea and vomiting. You do not need to have all of these symptoms to have MD, but you do have to have the vertigo. Periodic dizziness or imbalance and unsteadiness is not MD. If the spinning only lasts for seconds at a time with movement it is not MD. A lot of physicians diagnose patients with MD, because they don't know what else it is and there are no blood tests or specific tests that will diagnose it. The tests performed just rule out other problems and if nothing can be found you are typically just diagnosed with MD. However the most important thing in diagnosing MD is your case history. Most of the time it is a peripheral vestibulopathy or weakness in the vestibular system. The best way to treat MD besides diet is through vestibular rehabilitation therapy (VRT). VRT helps to reduce the severity of the episodes of vertigo and also helps to reduce the frequency of episodes, but it is important to remember that this will not completely eliminate episodes if you truly have MD.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
(female)

everey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger16 View Post
Currently there is no known cure for Meniere's Disease. The best way in treating MD is through diet. There are a lot of foods that trigger episodes such as anything with salt, caffeine, nuts, red wine, processed meats, watermelon, etc. Unfortunately the list goes on and on. I know this might not be your case, but Ménière's disease is highly highly misdiagnosed. There are four red flag symptoms related to MD. Low pitched roaring tinnitus in the affected ear. The tinnitus tends to increase in severity either right before, during or immediately following an episode. Aural fullness or pressure in the affected ear that also tends to increase during an episode. Low frequency or low pitched hearing loss that tends to fluctuate especially during an episode. Eventually all pitches will be affected and the hearing loss will stop fluctuating in later stages of the disease and will eventually become quite severe. Lastly the main and most severe symptom of MD is the vertigo, which is a true violent spinning sensation where the room and objects are spinning around you whether your eyes are open or closed. The episodes of vertigo tend to last for several minutes or hours, however some patients experience vertigo for days at a time before symptoms ameliorate. This often leads to nausea and vomiting. You do not need to have all of these symptoms to have MD, but you do have to have the vertigo. Periodic dizziness or imbalance and unsteadiness is not MD. If the spinning only lasts for seconds at a time with movement it is not MD. A lot of physicians diagnose patients with MD, because they don't know what else it is and there are no blood tests or specific tests that will diagnose it. The tests performed just rule out other problems and if nothing can be found you are typically just diagnosed with MD. However the most important thing in diagnosing MD is your case history. Most of the time it is a peripheral vestibulopathy or weakness in the vestibular system. The best way to treat MD besides diet is through vestibular rehabilitation therapy (VRT). VRT helps to reduce the severity of the episodes of vertigo and also helps to reduce the frequency of episodes, but it is important to remember that this will not completely eliminate episodes if you truly have MD.
Ginger: How do you know the information you provided? I was diagnosed at one time with Meniere's Disease and then tests such as the ECog and ENG came back inconclusive, mainly I think, because it took so long for me to get tested that I was not symptomatic at time of testing. My understanding of the vertigo for Meniere's is that as the disease progresses, the severity of vertigo will either lessen or be nonexistent, but one will have all the other symptoms such as tinnitus, fatigue, headache, vision problems, palpitations, arm and leg pain etc. not everyone has all symptoms. I am just curious, as I often wondered if I have been misdiagnosed. I am on my third episode of what is believed to be Meniere's Disease, but this time I did not have the vertigo, just ear fullness, tinnitus, headache and fatigue and extreme left ear pain.

I finally went to a Naturopathic doctor who recommended Colloidal Silver ear drops, Magnesium, B-Complex and Butterbur supplements along with a low salt diet.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
(male)

rather HB User

I never do it but I am sure with the help of good vitamins and herbs you will get the success.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
(female)

Ginger16 HB User

Also you do not need to be symptomatic at the time of testing in order to make a true diagnosis.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

studyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB Userstudyin HB User

Migraine associated vertigo (MAV) frequently masquerades as Meniere's. The majority of those misdiagnosed have a migraine-based illness.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #7
(female)

Ginger16 HB User

I totally agree. Remember you do not need at actually have a migraine headache in order to have migraine equivalent vertigo. Again a thorough case history will help to diagnose this as well.

Old 05-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
(female)

mulkie HB User

i just got out of the hospital and was diagnosed with manieres disease. i am on a no salt no caffeine diet for menieres. plus a daily diarretic and a weeks worth of steroids. i carry with me zofran and valium in case i have another bad episode. my episode was terrible vertigo for hours, non stop vomiting and headache. all horrific and scary. my ent wants to do allergy testing on me next as allergies can be a trigger and wants to do balance/hearing tests on both ears although the tinnitus, deafness and fullness only occur in right ear. good luck!

Old 05-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #9
(female)

mulkie HB User

thanx for your input. i definitely have been diagnosed with menieres by 2 docs. . am on meds and a very strict diet so hoping that this will control the episodes... no fun and scary.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
(female)

biteneck HB Userbiteneck HB Userbiteneck HB User

Hi everyone,
Mulkie, what do you feel like when this hits? I have been feeling lightheaded/unreal feeling like I'm going to die or pass out. It's very scary and cause my stomach to be upset and nauseous. I have been having problems with dizziness since March 2012. The inner ear doctor just diagnosed me with visual vestibular hypersensitivity aka, migraine associated vertigo. I get very uncomfortable in stores, malls and busy places like that. I have heard of other ladies who had this all happen after having a baby. I had my little girl in December 2011 and this all hit me 2.5 months after she was born. It's so depressing and frustrating because I cannot take or drive her anywhere that I imagined when I was pregnant with her. I wanted to take my daughter out to the mall, go shopping and go out to eat and enjoy my life with her like that. I cannot even enjoy much time with her at home during the day because when she wants me to run around the house and chase her I get dizzy and uncomfortable. This illness is ruining my relationship with my husband because it's consuming me and I cannot move on. I think I could have the help of an antidepressant because I have so much anxiety and worry about doing anything in fear of that horrible unreal feeling that is so scary. Do any of you have any information that could help me?
Studyin....I've read up on a few of your posts. Do you have any insight for medication that might help? Any natural or vitamins that help out? I really miss being myself and not worrying so much. I feel that my life is over and I need to be a happier person so that my little girl does not see how crappy I feel. Please help if you have any information or advice. Thank you so much!
Merry Christmas and may there be a cure of some kind soon!
Nicole

Old 12-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #11
(female)

Hi everyone,
Mulkie, what do you feel like when this hits? I have been feeling lightheaded/unreal feeling like I'm going to die or pass out. It's very scary and cause my stomach to be upset and nauseous. I have been having problems with dizziness since March 2012. The inner ear doctor just diagnosed me with visual vestibular hypersensitivity aka, migraine associated vertigo. I get very uncomfortable in stores, malls and busy places like that. I have heard of other ladies who had this all happen after having a baby. I had my little girl in December 2011 and this all hit me 2.5 months after she was born. It's so depressing and frustrating because I cannot take or drive her anywhere that I imagined when I was pregnant with her. I wanted to take my daughter out to the mall, go shopping and go out to eat and enjoy my life with her like that. I cannot even enjoy much time with her at home during the day because when she wants me to run around the house and chase her I get dizzy and uncomfortable. This illness is ruining my relationship with my husband because it's consuming me and I cannot move on. I think I could have the help of an antidepressant because I have so much anxiety and worry about doing anything in fear of that horrible unreal feeling that is so scary. Do any of you have any information that could help me?
Studyin....I've read up on a few of your posts. Do you have any insight for medication that might help? Any natural or vitamins that help out? I really miss being myself and not worrying so much. I feel that my life is over and I need to be a happier person so that my little girl does not see how crappy I feel. Please help if you have any information or advice. Thank you so much!
Merry Christmas and may there be a cure of some kind soon!
Nicole

Old 12-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
(female)

mulkie HB User

good post!

Old 12-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
(female)

Hello,
It accidentally posted 2x. How are you feeling? Are you able to answer my questions?
Thanks!
Nicole

Old 12-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
(female)

mulkie HB User

try "native remedies" vertifree. it seems to help me and i do have menieres. i also take lots of different vitamins including 4 cinnamon capsules a day which are anti inflammatory, lots of vitamin c and a multi vitamin from the synergy corporation...i think the thing that has helped me the most is no salt, no caffeine and no alcohol. i do cheat with chocolate however! good luck!

Reply Reply