It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
(male)

Stephach HB User
Urti / barotrauma / otitis media

Hello health boards,
Recently I flown with a light cold (light or not, I know it was a big mistake). During descend, I couldn't equalise the pressure (with valsava manoeuvre) in my right ear. Left ear was ok, but right remained blocked until after landing. I know it was not smart to do so, but I think is worth mentioning that during my attempts to equalise the pressure with pinching my nose, I did apply too much pressure some times with no results..

After landing, pinched my nose again and this time right ear unblocked but it was accompanied with weird clacking noises inside my ear.. As If a plastic bag was unfolding in there.. 30min later the ear goes blocked again and had no luck on equalising the pressure any more. Went to bed and woke up with a slightly better ear, less blockage but hearing was not completely back.. Although... the very same morning i noticed that I got a bad cold and total blockage in my sinuses.

So I decided to visit a professional..
A nurse at the clinic diagnosed me with an inflamed eardrum (thanks god I didn't rupture my eardrum), otitis media and barotrauma.
Then I took the liberty of visiting another professional, this time was a gp.
Gp said that is an URTI, inflamed but no ruptured eardrum. Prescribed me amoxiclav..

Now more than 72hrs since I started the antibiotics, I must say that the cold and bad sinuses are almost completely gone, I can inhale freely from nose with no trouble..
Regarding my ear.. It does feel better but still I notice a loss of hearing accompanied with the uncomfortable feeling of something lose and clacking sounds in my right ear when I try to pinch my nose and equalise the pressure. Worth mentioning that there's almost no pain from the ear..

I'm wondering if anyone troubled this barotrauma causing otitis media from a cold before, and if the hearing loss is normal. Also when should I expect to have normal hearing, no discomfort and be absolutely fit to fly with no drugs and decongestants? Is there any chance of permanent damage of flying with otitis media?

Thanks a lot,
Steph

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply