It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzyandsad HB User
Middle Ear Fluid

Anyone suffer with a bout of middle ear fluid?? causing awful vertigo and dizziness?? how long does this last?? Will I ever get better from it? Ive had MAV for 6 years but was functioning at 80% before I got slammed with this, just need to know it will pass...

Old 04-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
(female)

CLAUDIAJO HB User
Re: Middle Ear Fluid

Hello there!

Initially I was diagnosed with MAV by one dr. Then another Dr. I was diagnosed with fluid trapped in my middle ear. My symptoms began in 2008, which are extreme fullness and pressure in my left ear, lightheadedness, nausea, confusion, shortness of breath & symptom of fainting. Any time and I mean anytime I do anything that causes exertion (walking for more than 10-15 min), these symptoms come and my balance goes off to the point that I can’t walk straight any longer. Then my legs feel heavy to move. I have to find I place to sit until my heart rate goes back down. And also, these symptoms occur due to certain temperatures, especially if a room or outdoors is above or below 70 degrees. No doctor can agree with each other w/ a diagnosed so since 2008, I am still searching for help. Anyways, when reading your post, I was surprised to hear that the Dr. could see the fluid in your middle. What test reflected there was fluid in your middle ear? I would love to get this test. Because as of now I just feel that these drs. are guessing. Even though I was told by several members here who have middle ear fluid (perlymph fistula) and the dr. that originally diagnosed me, the fluid will not show until the ear surgery is done to repair the perlymph fistula and that's even a maybe. The surgery will be considered an exploratory test. It freaks me out when I hear this because it involves stuffing the ear w/ a tiny piece of fat from the earloop in an area that maybe leaking the fluid. And for some I understand that the recovery takes time to heal. But I can say, that since these symptoms started life has really changed and some days are good while others are horrible.
Also, I don't have the symptom of spinning as my symptoms relates to more so lightheadedness like I am about to faint.

And lastly, all other test always come out to be normal which helps a little for me to stay insane. I just keep in mind that it's not life threatening just life altering. But at times this can be difficult to believe. Anywho, I hope everything gets better for you and there are several members on this board "Perlymph Fistula" who are having much of the same symptoms.

Claudia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzyandsad HB User

They saw it in there i recently haad an appt and the Dr checked again and they fluid has almost all drained i am still having symptoms but hopefully they will resolve soon also mine doesn't get worse like that with exercise i managed to coach two cheerleader squads this past winter and that requires me teaching cheers stunts dances and tumbling they could tell the fluid just by doing an exam maybe check with an ent or go see a neurotologist

Old 04-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
(female)

CLAUDIAJO HB User

Ah. Ok. Yeah. Our symptoms really differ, but too I guess it depends on which area of the ear has been affected. I have been to several neurologists and otoneurologists. Neurologist pretty much did some MRI exams and nerves tests. Then said the balance issue wasn't from my spine or brain so seeing a otoneurologist is best...In all though it is very difficult at times to get through those crazy symptoms.

Last edited by CLAUDIAJO; 04-06-2013 at 05:49 PM. Reason: duplicate post

Reply Reply