HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Inner Ear Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/inner-ear-disorders/)
-   -   connection between ear problems and severe anxiety? someone help!! (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/inner-ear-disorders/948295-connection-between-ear-problems-severe-anxiety-someone-help.html)

jward1287 05-01-2013 10:35 PM

connection between ear problems and severe anxiety? someone help!!

Hello everyone, my name is John and im just trying to get some answers. For the last year and a half ive been struggling horribly with anxiety and some depression. It has caused me to quit my jobs and be stuck at home more than I want to be. Ive never used to be like this and my doctors keep telling me its just anxiety. But im having other issues that just dont make sense. Well when since I was a kid ive always had ear issues in my right ear. This past December I had the flu/cold and my left ear became infected i suppose. and since then my left ear has been just as horrible as my right ear. I went to the ENT last year before my left ear got like this. I lost health insurance so I could not go to get the catscan on my ear like he wanted me to. I believe after reading and doing research ive been feeling the way I have because of an inner ear disorder. The anxiety is horrible. I have issues with my ears nearly everyday..not always pain but I have to clean them both everyday and about twice in the last year or so Ive seen a little bit of blood too when I cleaned them. I know something is up with my ears. and after hearing inner ear can cause a lot of symptoms I believe its it. I just wish someone could give me some answers or help me if they sound like me or been through what I have. I have brain fog, confusion, dizzy spells or vertigo, acid reflux, anxiety so bad I cant do long drives anymore, I dont like to drive anymore because I get nervous too much, and my vision is not right and i have eye floaters and vision disturbances, aches, pains, no energy.....i could keep going and name more if you would like to know what else! lol im sorry Ive typed so much. I just wish someone can give me some information on inner ear and if they feel I have an inner ear problem with not just one ear now but both ears. I get ringing sometimes ..and sometimes one will close up and i cant hear well and i have to pop my ear...i rarely have a day i feel even 80%...I havent been 100% in close to 2 years because of this...SOMEONE HELP! PLEASE! thank you!!!

ladybud 05-01-2013 11:40 PM

Re: connection between ear problems and severe anxiety? someone help!!

John, it seems that you are having some symptoms that relate to ear problems and some that probably do not. The inner ear could be causing the symptoms of ringing in ears, vertigo (a spinning sensation different than "dizziness). If your ears feel plugged up and you have to pop them, it is usually middle ear pressure imbalance that is often caused by allergies and associated fluid congestion. Some people are prone to ear wax buildup that can also clog the ear canal and feel annoying and uncomfortable. These things should all be checked by an ENT. If wax is the issue , removal will give instant relief. If allergies and middle ear congestion, that can be treated as well. Inner ear problems often require a little more testing to find the cause. The fatigue, brain fog, confusion, aches and pains could be something else. It would be good to get a general check-up to check for common things like an underactive thyroid (can cause depression), but depression itself can cause aches and pains and fatigue, and unclear thinking, etc. So if no physical cause for the symptoms can be found with a general checkup and labs, you may feel better on an antidepressant with anti-anxiety properties. Anxiety and depression occur together in many people, and both can be treated effectively. Many people worry excessively about their health, and just getting things checked out may give you some relief from that. Be sure to tell your Dr all your symptoms, so he/she can be thorough in evaluating your situation.

Cambridge8 05-02-2013 01:38 AM

Try using warm olive oil or any natural vegetable oil in your ear. Do it before a shower and use an old towel/ face cloth to mop up the oil that dribbles everywhere. It will be good for your skin anyway so don't get frustrated 'cos it's a bit messy. It will soothe and clear the wax from your ear.

Your anxiety may just be because you are hyper-sensitive. You may have a slightly injured ear but as long as you can hear, it's not major and in the realm of normal. Your job probably didn't suit you anyway. Go and volunteer for a library or an organic farm or with helping animals to get some strength and confidence back. Someone may offer you a new job. Take walks everyday and focus on eating good nutrition. Vitamin C, A and D - fruit, vegetables and things like organic butter will all help. You eat less of better, more nutritious food so the costs balance out. Avoid anti-depressants as they will do long-term damage to your liver, heart and kidneys, as well as your nervous system, leaving you with nervous tremors etc much worse that you original complaints.

jward1287 05-02-2013 06:00 PM

Thank you both for you responses!....I am almost hoping its my ears causing how ive been feeling so i can get them checked out and hopefully feel better...if any of you get a chance try and read the book Phobia Free by Harold Levinson .....its a great book on anxiety and connection with the inner ear...it has cured a lot of people or at least gave them relief of there symptoms and almost feeling completely normal again...id really like to avoid antidepressants...i dont want to be on medication for something that may be caused by my ears which I could get looked at fixed...the anxiety is making me a whole different person...i feel like my ear problems is what has been causing my vision disturbances as well? any opinions?? id love to hear anything else you know about connection with people that have an ear disorder and going through anxiety...thank u!

Cambridge8 05-02-2013 07:56 PM

Probably. The jaw joint (TMJ), the ear canal, the zygomatic arch (the cheek bone) and the eye socket all can affect each other. Also the trigeminal nerve branch is in this area too, and can really cause pain and misery when somethings putting pressure on it.

Maybe, try the warm olive oil, or some such preparation from the drug store to clear ears, like Waxsol, and maybe TMJ strengthening exercises that might take pressure off your ear canal, if that's the problem (?).

I know running helps prevent ocular (eye) deterioration, but that's a long-term fitness thing.

So, stop fixating on your ear (...I mean this in a nice way..) and get exercising, eating good nutrition and getting yourself out into the good community and into a job you like. Most people have to live with some kind of medical condition they don't want or like (eczema, flat feet, poor digestion,etc) but that's just the way it is. It's the realm of normal. Doctors and pharmaceutical companies, in most cases, not all, can make your health and finances worse. Fix it yourself. You're already on the right track with your reading.

Marie 67 10-09-2013 04:38 PM

I have been feeling very similar to you these past three months since I had an ear infection in my left ear. I had fluid left behind and it was driving me mad. I had it drained three weeks ago but I am not hearing any better. The ent said the slit where it was drained and suctioned is still open. I find it hard to believe that a little hole like that would cause that much hearing loss. Do to this I have been having panic attacks, depressed, crying alot, no appetite, to depressed to eat because I can't hear right. I've never felt this bad in my entire life and I know that this ear issue is all the cause of this. I don't know what happened with my hearing but I guess it's going to take me some time to accept that I am hearing impaired and be able to live with it. It is heartbreaking to me and I've been saying that I just want to die so that I can forget about this issue. It's with me constantly and I fully understand why some people with disabilities don't want to stick around anymore. We all process trauma differently and some could handle anything like being paralyzed, blind, deaf, but others like myself are not able to do that so easily. Don't feel bad about feeling bad. You should go to an ent or an otologist and try to find out what the issue is. If you get this ear issue resolved you'll be back to your old self in no time. There is a connection between ear issues and depression because it has effected me that way.

lovineachday 10-17-2013 11:51 AM

Hey John... sorry you're going through this stuff. Not fun.

I never had anxiety until I got Vestibular Neuritis. I didn't even realize that some of my symptom were due to anxiety. Once I realized, I tried hard to let go and just be grateful for what I WAS able to do and all I had and I got better from it very quickly. It can stand in the way and exacerbate healing from vestibular issues. I've read that, too.

I don't think I'm allowed to post links, but look up why you really shouldn't put Q tips in your ears. I just read that today and I learned a few things, beyond the whole old "you might pierce your eardrum thing". I read an article about a guy who got over his recurring BPPV by only Qtips on the outsides of his ear. I don't know.... I love Qtips, but the info out there makes sense. Apparently earwax has antibiotic or antimicrobial properties, and it makes the water that goes in able to slip back out and not get stuck in there and cause problems.

Not sure if I was any help at all, but wanted to say that when in doubt, go with the law of attraction. :) Focus on as much good as you can.... on getting healthy, not the reasons why you feel awful. It's hard sometimes, but nowhere to go but up. :) Sending you lots of healthy vibes!

biteneck 11-05-2013 07:46 AM

Hi Jward,
I have been having problems with lightheadedness and inner ear dysfunction since March 2012. Having inner ear problems can cause major anxiety. Because you are already having problems with balance, dizziness, etc, then when you are a concerned about it, the stress makes it worse. I completely understand what you mean. I have only driven a handful of time the past 1.5 years and it's very depressing and frustrating because I was the type of person who would jump in the car and go. I never thought twice about driving and now I feel like I'll never be the same. The ENT didn't do much in March last year. I told him I thought it might be this virus I've read up on and he said no it's not. Well, yes it was and he didn't diagnose that until two months later! Very upsetting. Now with the damage done to the inner ear nerve, my brain must compensate and I was doing much, much better over the summer until the end of September and now it's bothering me again. Again, the anxiety is horrible because it keeps me from doing the things I want to do and need to do. You have my sympathy and I pray you'll get an answer. By the way, the virus is called vestibular neuritis and the other is called labrynthitis. The labryinthitis can cause hearing problems. That is what you might have gotten. It can take quite a long time to completely recover but you should. I think I'm just having a relapse or something. I will be making an appointment with the inner ear doctor this week. You might want to make an appointment with one, they are called a neuro-tologist. Wish you the best!