It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
(female)

Amy1007 HB UserAmy1007 HB UserAmy1007 HB UserAmy1007 HB User
Flying after vestibular neuritis

So I'm just about three years out from my initial attack. These days I feel great I've compensated, but here and there I'll have a dizzy moment. Next week my husband and I are flying with our three children to the west coast. I'm getting nervous and I'm having anxiety because I honestly do not know what to expect since this will be my first time flying with a vestibular problem. I certainly want to avoid being dizzy if possible. Any tips? Personal experience with flying? I asked my ENT, about flying after this he said people aren't bothered. Thanks for any insight.

Old 06-03-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
(female)

AmberWaves91 HB UserAmberWaves91 HB UserAmberWaves91 HB User
Re: Flying after vestibular neuritis

Hi Amy,

I don't know what you have. I have vestibular neuronitis and had personal experience with flying.
I flew a few weeks ago from west coast to east coast. It was about a 5-6 hour flight both ways as I recall. I found, interestingly, it did not affect it whatsoever at all! I was sooo surprised. My brain most of the time doesn't know where my body is anyway, and it did not confuse it anymore. Ha!
I was, like you, and an ENT suggested to take an antihistamine or a beta blocker if have any trouble but I didn't need to.
I don't know if you've already gone, or when you're going? Anyway, that was my experience, hope it helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
(female)

Thanks for you reply! I am leaving tomorrow. I have a 40 percent loss in my left ear. Like I said I've mostly compensated but I have bad moment here and there. We will be flying from the East Coast to the West Coast, it's about six hours for us too. My youngest and I have come down with a cold in the past few days. I was worried about that complicating things even more. My doctor told me to take Benadryl and I should be fine. After hearing from you and my doctor I feel assured. Thank you so much it's so helpful to hear about personal experiences. As if flying with children isn't stressful enough I was worried about having ear issues. Thank you so much!!

Old 06-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
(female)

AmberWaves91 HB UserAmberWaves91 HB UserAmberWaves91 HB User

That's so great Amy! Have a fun trip! So glad you can go and have a fun family trip.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
(female)

Eilleor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1007 View Post
So I'm just about three years out from my initial attack. These days I feel great I've compensated, but here and there I'll have a dizzy moment. Next week my husband and I are flying with our three children to the west coast. I'm getting nervous and I'm having anxiety because I honestly do not know what to expect since this will be my first time flying with a vestibular problem. I certainly want to avoid being dizzy if possible. Any tips? Personal experience with flying? I asked my ENT, about flying after this he said people aren't bothered. Thanks for any insight.
Dear Amy,
Long time ago you replied on one of my messages. I am almost 2 years after my initial attack, but it is still bothering me. I do everything as normal as possible, but right now I have a bad time since Yesterday morning, I thought I was going to have another real attack, but it looks like just a set back, more dizziness and out of balance during walking. The weather is very hot and as a lot of people in The Netherlands we do not have airco in our house, so I am not sleeping very well. It is again real frightening, because I think about how it was when it started and I hopefully this will not come back again.
You asked about flying: I did it, even from Europe to the US, also the time difference was not too bad, I took one oxazepam the first night after my arrival.
Hope you will do well and wish you a very good time.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
(female)

biteneck HB Userbiteneck HB Userbiteneck HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eilleor View Post
Dear Amy,
Long time ago you replied on one of my messages. I am almost 2 years after my initial attack, but it is still bothering me. I do everything as normal as possible, but right now I have a bad time since Yesterday morning, I thought I was going to have another real attack, but it looks like just a set back, more dizziness and out of balance during walking. The weather is very hot and as a lot of people in The Netherlands we do not have airco in our house, so I am not sleeping very well. It is again real frightening, because I think about how it was when it started and I hopefully this will not come back again.
You asked about flying: I did it, even from Europe to the US, also the time difference was not too bad, I took one oxazepam the first night after my arrival.
Hope you will do well and wish you a very good time.
Hi Eilleor,
I too, am almost 2 years into this. Mine hit March 2012. I thought I was better this summer. I was driving a little more. But in September I had a horrible experience at Giant Eagle, our local grocery store. I felt like nothing was real and that I was in a bad dream that I couldn't wake up from. My heart was racing. I felt a little better once outside, but I've had this happen 3-4 times since then. I have the dream-like state a lot but not as much as last year. The stores did not bother me as much this summer either but not they make me very dizzy and I'm feeling like I'm going to pass out. While at our grocery store that day, I felt like I was going to die or pass out. Do you ever feel this way? I have heard before that it can take 2-5 years for recovery. Hope you feel better.
Nicole

The Following User Says Thank You to biteneck For This Useful Post:
Eilleor (11-18-2013)
Old 11-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
(female)

Hey Nicole, this is Amy. I started this thread. Oh , do I ever know what you are talking about regarding grocery stores. That was the worst place for me for a very long time. And forget about looking upward to a shelf- hell! Only someone who has been through this understands. My therapist told me that grocery store are bad bc they are so open and there is so much stimuli- it sends your brain into overdrive. For a very long time I had to do very quick in and out trips. VN can take a long time to recover from I was three yrs in July and I still have moments when I feel it. But that's just it - moments. Most of the time I don't even notice it.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Amy1007
biteneck (11-14-2013), Eilleor (11-18-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Amy1007 For This Useful Post:
biteneck (11-14-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
(female)

SS27 HB User

Hi Amy,

How are you coping with the dizziness nowadays? In 4.5 months in to mine and just have no idea where it is going!
I wanted to ask how the flight ended up being for you? I'm going on a long haul flight in a few weeks and am worried about it as I'm relatively housebound at the moment and so worried at how I will handle the airport and the flight itself. It's actually terrifying me to even think about it and I hope I don't faint or have a panic attack or something at the airport/on the flight!

Would really appreciate any advice.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
(female)

Eilleor HB User

Hi,
I am 2 years and almost 2 month after my initial attack and I was frightened to fly at first, but it did not bother me at all, I even flew to New York all by myself, it made me nervous, but afterwards I feel better and I am convinced that it is ok to fly.
Going into crowded places, like Ikea is still difficult, I do it sometimes, but I try to stay clam and when its too much, I step to the side, take a few deep breaths and looked to the floor for a few minutes and carry on.
I read an article about chronic subjective dizziness, it learned me a lot about how it can be possible by trying too hard too overcome this disease we are too much busy with it in our minds and iso getting better we (our minds) keeps the dizziness going on.
You should google at CSD just to learn more about it. I try to fight it and have my bad days, but like Amy said it can take up to 5 years....let's keep faith that we will finally overcome this.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
(female)

Eilleor HB User

Hi,
I am 2 years and almost 2 month after my initial attack and I was frightened to fly at first, but it did not bother me at all, I even flew to New York all by myself, it made me nervous, but afterwards I feel better and I am convinced that it is ok to fly.
Going into crowded places, like Ikea is still difficult, I do it sometimes, but I try to stay clam and when its too much, I step to the side, take a few deep breaths and looked to the floor for a few minutes and carry on.
I read an article about chronic subjective dizziness, it learned me a lot about how it can be possible by trying too hard too overcome this disease we are too much busy with it in our minds and iso getting better we (our minds) keeps the dizziness going on.
You should google at CSD just to learn more about it. I try to fight it and have my bad days, but like Amy said it can take up to 5 years....let's keep faith that we will finally overcome this.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #11
(female)

SS27 HB User

Hi Eilleor,

Thanks so much for the response! I was panicking last night when I was thinking about having to get on the flight - it's the first time I've properly thought about it.

I've been trying to go into crowded places at least once a week like shopping malls etc. and although I can't do it for too long (about 2 hours), I feel so much better after having done it!

I looked up CSD per your advice, and being an anxious person generally, I know that this probably isn't helping my recovery!

I'm praying that the 5 year mark doesn't appear for any of us! My symptoms were not that bad from the beginning, they are just taking a while to go... :S

I wish you well and will let you know how the flight went!

The following user gives a hug of support to SS27:
Eilleor (11-20-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS27 View Post
Hi Eilleor,

Thanks so much for the response! I was panicking last night when I was thinking about having to get on the flight - it's the first time I've properly thought about it.

I've been trying to go into crowded places at least once a week like shopping malls etc. and although I can't do it for too long (about 2 hours), I feel so much better after having done it!

I looked up CSD per your advice, and being an anxious person generally, I know that this probably isn't helping my recovery!

I'm praying that the 5 year mark doesn't appear for any of us! My symptoms were not that bad from the beginning, they are just taking a while to go... :S

I wish you well and will let you know how the flight went!
Hey Everyone,
Please let me know if driving was very difficult for you. I really miss driving and feel so frustrated and useless because I'm at home all day with my little 23 month old girl. I can't take us anywhere and that is depressing. I feel anxiety about driving which I know can make me feel even worse and more dizzy. Please let me know how you deal with this? My two year mark will be March 2014.
Thank you
PS-Any medicines ease your symptoms?
Thanks!

Old 11-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #13
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biteneck View Post
Hey Everyone,
Please let me know if driving was very difficult for you. I really miss driving and feel so frustrated and useless because I'm at home all day with my little 23 month old girl. I can't take us anywhere and that is depressing. I feel anxiety about driving which I know can make me feel even worse and more dizzy. Please let me know how you deal with this? My two year mark will be March 2014.
Thank you
PS-Any medicines ease your symptoms?
Thanks!
I know exactly how you feel regarding driving. That was the one thing that made me feel truly helpless- the fact that I couldn't get in my car and take myself of my children places. We had to hire a babysitter to take care of our kids- she drove them to activities. My mother in law also stayed with us for awhile but after she left we had to hire domeone. I could get in the car around the 3 mo mark but until around month 4 I didn't start to feel confident again. Honestly I know it sounds silly- but baby steps count. If you feel stuck go for a walk. Symptoms will slowly subside. Nothing with this happens overnight. My VRT therapist always told me to stay active. Even if it felt uncomfortable. Even if you can only walk down your street one day you may be able to do more the next day. Recovery really is a rollercoaster. One day you may feel great - think youre over an obstacle only to feel awful the day after that. Not being able to drive was very depressing- I felt like -Not only does the grocery store aggrevate me - I can't even get in the car without feeling like I've had a few drinks. Don't get down! You will get past this- you will feel better. This is one moment in time that will teach you to appreciate good health even more.

The Following User Says Thank You to Amy1007 For This Useful Post:
biteneck (11-20-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1007 View Post
I know exactly how you feel regarding driving. That was the one thing that made me feel truly helpless- the fact that I couldn't get in my car and take myself of my children places. We had to hire a babysitter to take care of our kids- she drove them to activities. My mother in law also stayed with us for awhile but after she left we had to hire domeone. I could get in the car around the 3 mo mark but until around month 4 I didn't start to feel confident again. Honestly I know it sounds silly- but baby steps count. If you feel stuck go for a walk. Symptoms will slowly subside. Nothing with this happens overnight. My VRT therapist always told me to stay active. Even if it felt uncomfortable. Even if you can only walk down your street one day you may be able to do more the next day. Recovery really is a rollercoaster. One day you may feel great - think youre over an obstacle only to feel awful the day after that. Not being able to drive was very depressing- I felt like -Not only does the grocery store aggrevate me - I can't even get in the car without feeling like I've had a few drinks. Don't get down! You will get past this- you will feel better. This is one moment in time that will teach you to appreciate good health even more.
Hi Amy,
When would you say that you noticed you felt better in stores? I felt as though I was much better in June and July and August I felt off when driving home from picking up a pizza. Then in end of September I had a horrible experience in our local grocery store. I felt like I was in a dream and could not wake up. It was very scary and thought I was going to pass out or die. I think maybe it was very bad lightheadedness too. I felt that way 3-4 times since. I pray I never feel that bad again. I appreciate your answering of my questions. It feels good to know that people get through this. Even if it takes several years. Please keep in touch.
Thanks again,
Nicole
PS-Any medicines you took that helped ease dizziness in stores and anxiety while driving?

Old 11-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #15
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biteneck View Post
Hi Amy,
When would you say that you noticed you felt better in stores? I felt as though I was much better in June and July and August I felt off when driving home from picking up a pizza. Then in end of September I had a horrible experience in our local grocery store. I felt like I was in a dream and could not wake up. It was very scary and thought I was going to pass out or die. I think maybe it was very bad lightheadedness too. I felt that way 3-4 times since. I pray I never feel that bad again. I appreciate your answering of my questions. It feels good to know that people get through this. Even if it takes several years. Please keep in touch.
Thanks again,
Nicole
PS-Any medicines you took that helped ease dizziness in stores and anxiety while driving?

Reply Reply