It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Inner Ear Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
(male)

stab HB User
Pulsatile tinnitus which changes with body position ... Help pls.

Hi,

For about 3 years I have pulsatile tinnitus. I hear a high pitched whooshing sound in my head (mostly in right ear) on the rythm of the heart beat. I'm not sure if it got a bit louder, but lately I am noticing it more again.

The strange thing is, is that it changes with the position I'm in. I don't hear it at all while lying down for instance. When I'm standing straight I can hear it a bit, but when I turn my head sideways it almost disappears. When I sit I can hear it the loudest, but again, when I look up or sideways it dissappears. When I look down, the pitch changes (lower).

It's not really the sound bothering me (it's not very loud and I mostly don't hear it throughout the day), but it's that I'm scared that something serious is causing it.

I went 2 times to the doc (GP) for it. 1 checked my blood pressure and ruled that one out. The other looked at my ears and said my eardrums are slightly retracted inwards. She said that this might be the cause and that many people are hearing these sounds...

Now 2 years later, I'm not so sure of that. Informative websites say it is is pretty rare (3% of tinnitus cases) and can be caused by serious ilnesses. My question is, what do you think?
Why does the loudness / pitch change with different positions? Does that mean high cholestorol / tumors can be ruled out?
Does the blood flow to your brain changes with these positions?

Any help or insight is helpful and very welcome.
Thanks for your time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply