It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Interstitial Cystitis (IC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
(female)

sunshine8790 HB User
Question Interstitial Cystitis and Elmiron

I had my cystoscopy today and was positive for having interstitial cystitis. He put me on Elmiron. I read some on Elmiron, and I read that it causes hair loss, nausea and diarrhea. If you take elmiron, has it caused hair loss with you? What kind of side affects did you have from elmiron? Thanks, Tammy

Old 07-11-2005, 08:51 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sonic HB User
Re: Interstitial Cystitis and Elmiron

Hi tammy,,,
I cant help you,,but I would be interested in an answer too. I was diagnoised with IC last month, but my dr, suggested I "change my diet" before starting me on any meds...well,,im still not any better.
Ive heard the same thing about the hair loss,,i hope its not true~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2005, 08:59 PM   #3
(female)

sunshine8790 HB User

Hi, I think you need to change doctors. He should have put you on medication immediately. There are certain foods that aggravate interstitial cystitis, that you should stay away from like chocolate, and citrus fruits and juices and coffee. This site.... http://www.ichelp.org/TreatmentAndSelfHelp/ICAndDiet.html

tells you some foods to avoid. I'm starting the Elmiron in the morning and I hope it doesn't cause hair loss. I hope you get the help you need, definitely find someone that will start you on Elmiron or some form of medication for this, you shoudn't still be suffering when you don't have to.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:39 AM   #4
(female)

aaholmes HB User

Hi all,

My doctor thinks I may have IC, although I haven't undergone a cystoscopy yet. And she gave me some informational stuff about it yesterday that I may have an answer, sort of, to your question about the hair loss, if only you'll answer my question first...

I've had UTI-like symptoms for the past 2 years on and off and this time the symptoms are here to stay for good, although they're not as bad as before I took antibiotics. But I've tried 8 different antibiotics and none of them successfully got rid of my symptoms. And urinalyses for UTI come up negative. I don't experience any pain, per se, but I have the UTI symptoms constantly unless I drink a crapload of water to control it. Does this sound like IC at all?

So, in answer to your question--I have a copy of the official ELMIRON prescribing information sheet. It says, in regard to adverse reactions:

"FREQUENCY (1 to 4%): Alopecia (4%), diarrhea (4%), nausea (4%),
headache (3%), rash (3%), dyspepsia (2%), abdominal pain (2%), liver
function abnormalities (1%), dizziness (1%)."

So it is MY guess that, although it is possible to cause hair loss, it is very unlikely as the percentage was only at 4%, along with various other reactions.

Good luck to all, and let me know if I'm worrying about IC uselessly or not, according to my general symptoms. Thanks.

~ashley

Last edited by aaholmes; 07-12-2005 at 05:39 AM.

Old 07-12-2005, 07:04 AM   #5
(female)

sunshine8790 HB User

Ashley,
It sounds like you have ic, but I went to the doctor because I had pain during urination and my bladder hurt really bad especially at night when I'd lie down. You need a cystoscopy, so that they can find out for sure and get you on meds. Hope you feel better.

Old 07-12-2005, 05:26 PM   #6
(female)

The Inquirer HB User

Hi Sunshine,

I was dx'd with IC 6 years ago. The first medication I was put on was Atarax (hydroxyzine), which is an antihistimine. I later tried Elmiron. They say it can take up to 6 months to work. I took it for 18 months, and it did nothing to me, either good or bad, so I stopped taking it. I understand that it really is a lifesaver for some people -- hope you will be one of them! Let us know how you make out...

Be well,
Inq

Old 07-13-2005, 07:08 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

sonic HB User

Hi ashely,,,the only way to know is to have a cystoscopy...My symptoms were feeling like i had a CONSTANT bladder infection,,which i tested neg for.
a full feeling , & constant urination. also pain during sex.

I just got my next appointment moved up 2 wks..
Thanks all~

Old 07-14-2005, 09:46 AM   #8
(female)

aaholmes HB User

Thanks, everyone. I will bring it up to my urologist when I see him on the 20th.

~ashley

Closed Thread