It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Interstitial Cystitis (IC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

sunshine8790 HB User
Question Interstitial Cystitis

With interstitial cystitis, has any noticed bloating or weight gain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2005, 01:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sonic HB User
Re: Interstitial Cystitis

Bloating is VERY common with IC patients, I usually look 5 months preggers
I have also gained some wieght,,but that is probably due to depresion & trying to cope with everything thats going on ... It can be very frustrating~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2005, 02:12 PM   #3
(female)

sunshine8790 HB User

Yes, it is very frustrating, I stick to my diet and workout...but I'm still bloated, I feel like I look 6 months pregnant....and my weight goes up and down even though I'm eating right...I hate this bloated feeling...I even took water pills for a few weeks because I thought I was retaining fluid, but they didn't help.

Old 07-24-2005, 08:05 PM   #4
(female)

Piccolina HB User

Hi sunshine,

Yes this is something I am certainly dealing with. I chalk a lot of the weight gain up to the number of meds I take, and the bloating to IC first and IBS second. I am bloated due to IC (despite following and benefiting from the IC diet and the IBS diet) so often that I have developed stretch marks because of it (seriously!), and also often look a few months pregnant! I call this symptom "IC belly", and while painful, it is more aesthetically frustrating than anything else. And they say you can't see IC (lol)!

Old 07-24-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
(female)

sunshine8790 HB User

Are you taking Elmiron? Is it helping any?

Old 07-25-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
(female)

Piccolina HB User

Hi Sunshine,

I have been on Elmiron for about a year and a helf now, I find it is very helpful in terms of reducing frequency and cutting down a bit on urgency. It really doesn't do much in the pain department though.

It took about 4 months for Elmiron to start working for me, I was more than willing to give it up to a year though.

I take it in conjunction with a few other IC medications like hydroxyzine, which I take before bed. It makes me groggy as all get out, but it does cut down hugely on night trips to the bathroom (I went from 20+ to really good nights these days of less than 8 trips!) I started on hydrox (at my insistance) just a few days after starting Elmiron. The two have a proven track record of working hand in hand. But (as you surely know) not evey ICer responds to the same treatments in positive ways.

Take care,
Piccolina

Closed Thread