It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Interstitial Cystitis (IC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2006, 07:41 PM   #1
(female)

sunshine8790 HB User
Unhappy Interstitial Cystitis

Does anyone here have interstitial cystitis? Does it cause weight gain & swelling? I'm swollen all over not just in the bladder area and I gained 20 pounds in one day. My weight goes way up then comes down in a few days then goes right back up and I stay swelled all the time. I look 9 months pregnant. I'm really depressed about this swelling and weight gain.....Help.
Is this from IC or something else? I had my thyroid checked and its fine.

Old 02-01-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
(female)

bathroomgenie HB User
Re: Interstitial Cystitis

I have IC and yes your stomach does swell up. I have noticed first thing in the morning it has gone down some. I think it's due to pain and things being inflammed. I know I feel like I'm pregnant. Haven't gained 20 pounds in one day but have gained a lot over two years. Think it was due to not exercising. How long have you had IC and what are you doing for it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #3
(female)

sunshine8790 HB User

I found out I had IC in July, and my stomach has been continually swelling ever since....and my weight has been up and down ever since also. I take Elmiron but I'm trying to get off it, cuz it makes my hair fall out terrible. The
doctor is talking about doing instillations.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:52 AM   #4
(female)

bathroomgenie HB User

I've had it for 8 years. Tried taking the elmiron 3 different times but couldn't handle the side effects. Have you tried taking hydroxyzine? Think the name brand is Attarax. That helps a lot at night so I can get some sleep. Started out on 10 mgs in the beginning. I am having the heparin/lidocaine/water instills done once a week. Have been for a long time but I get two days of not having to pee so much and when the pain is really bad it helps on that too. Have you thought about trying a tens unit?

Old 02-07-2006, 09:08 AM   #5
(female)

shonks5 HB User

What is a tens unit, and is hydroxyzine a water pill, if you don't mind me asking? I've been having a lot of problems with bladder pain and the feel of needing to urinate. OB couldn't find any infection,or blood in my urine sample. And, all the pain and problems went away while I got my menses, so I thought that everything had straightened itself out. Now that my period is over, all the pain and urgency is back! Any advice!

Old 02-07-2006, 09:57 AM   #6
(female)

bathroomgenie HB User

A tens unit is something that is attached (not medically, you can take it off at anytime. no surgery needed for it) to a part of the body that has pain. It looks like a pager. It sends out vibrations and some how it "stops the pain sensors" from responding so much with the pain. I guess you could say it works like pain pills without side effects. I have had mine for 5 years and wear it 24/7. The pain does not go away but takes it down from a 10 to bearable. The hydroxyzine pill is for allergies but is also used to help calm a person down. I take it at night which helps to calm me and the bladder down so I can sleep. Some women find the IC problems get better with their period and others have it worse. I am one of the ones where 5 days before, during and 2 days after my period the systems of everything are worse. IC can't be found with a urine test. I don't know how many of those tests I had in the beginning. You need to have a hyrdordistention done which is normally done by a Urologist. I would go to one to see if they could help you out. Some OB do handle IC but the one I went to knew nothing about it. Kept saying something was wrong with pain and peeing every 10 minutes. Hope this helps some. If you need anymore questions answered feel free to ask.

Last edited by bathroomgenie; 02-07-2006 at 09:59 AM.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:57 AM   #7
(female)

shonks5 HB User

Thanks for the info, I start looking for one today!

Closed Thread