It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Interstitial Cystitis (IC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
(female)

babysister66 HB User
medication for possible interstitial cystitis

My urologist is treating me for interstitial cystitis, as they have no clue yet what it wrong. I have hemmorhagic kidney cysts, squamous metaplasia, and so far one set of atypical urine cytology tests suspicious for neoplasm. I went in today and they took another urine cytology, and are not going to do anything else until they get the results of this. In the meantime, for my pain and bladder spasms, they have given me Doxepin, which is suppose to help IC. I read it is an anti depressent, so I wondered if anyone on here has experience with it? Could this stuff actually stop the pain? I took my first one tonight, and dont know what to expect. Also gave me a script for 6 weeks of Macrobid, but that was close to $400, so I can't afford it. I don't feel too bad about that,as I have never shown any sign of infection. Anyways,, If someone with experience and let me know if these pills can actually help, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by babysister66; 06-24-2008 at 05:05 PM.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
(female)

jocotter HB User
Re: medication for possible interstitial cystitis

My doctor gave me Amitriptiline at night (some kind of anti-depressent relaxing drug, I think) and then Elmiron 3x a day. Elmiron is the only drug approved specifically for Interstitial Cystitis. I have insurance, but I understand it's quite expensive. However, it works really well after about 3 months of use. Then he gave me strong pain pills for the bad days, but I don't have to use them much anymore. It's a problem if you have to pay your drug costs yourself. Good luck! There are websites devoted to that problem that many help, too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
(male)

LENNYI HB UserLENNYI HB User
Re: medication for possible interstitial cystitis

I agree with jocotter - I take elmiron 3 X a day and it is costly. I also take Valium to relax the pelvic muscles. If you have Blue Cross, check Medco ( mail order )for your script - I pay 35.00 for 90 day supply and my insurance pays in excess of 500.00. I'm on my 5Th week of Elmiron so too soon for relief, but am hoping for some reduced frequency!

Lenny

Old 07-13-2008, 06:44 AM   #4
(female)

maggiecttr HB User
Wink Re: medication for possible interstitial cystitis

They thought I had IC, too, once. But I was fortunate enough to find the Cystitis Research Center online & use that protocol. Check it out...

Hugs,
Maggie C.

Closed Thread