It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Interstitial Cystitis (IC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LauraLu HB UserLauraLu HB User
Classic Interstitial Cystitis vs Regular IC and treatment

This week was the second time I went to see my new urologist. He performed a cytoscopy, which was extremely painful and diagnosed me with Classic Interstitial Cystitis. I must admit that after the procedure I just wanted to get the hell out of there because I was in SO much pain. He told me my bladder was only capable of holding 200 cc, and a "normal" bladder should hold 400. When I looked on the screen, he showed me all of the areas that were red and inflamed and it was like "finally - a reason for all of this pain." I didn't ask a lot of questions because I wanted to just leave.
He told me that I had two options. I could come in every week for 6 weeks. He would inject a solution and then I would "practice" holding it for as long as possible. This seems very difficult because his practice is an hour away and I'm a teacher, would makes it even more out of the question. Also a $30 copay seems rediculous.
Second option - surgery. He would distend my bladder to 600 cc. This seems a bit drastic, but considering I have been suffering for over a year, I'm leaning towards it.
So, lots of questions, does anyone know what the primary difference is between Classic IC and regular IC? Also, has anyone done either of these two options that I've described?
I'm in dire need of some major help and opinions here. Thanks so much for reading.
Laura

Old 03-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: Classic Interstitial Cystitis vs Regular IC and treatment

Anybody??? Doesn't anybody on here have this??? I feel like I am ALONE! I really could use some help here as far as treatment is concerned.

Thanks again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
(female)

jocotter HB User

I have it and so do alot of people I know. My doctor sort of specializes in it. I think that there are several things to try before doing those procedures that help, but they take a few weeks/months. Elmiron is a medicine that really helps after a few weeks. Also, it helps me to take Detrol when I am having it bad. They can also add Amitriptiline and after awhile that gives you relief.

Using over the counter Pre-relief helps before meals that might bother you. Also sticking to the IC Diet (which you can find on the internet) can help, too. There are a couple of websites with message boards and lots of info dedicated specifically to IC, which are full of info.

Something that really helped me recently is Desert Harvest Aloe Vera (can be found on the internet.) It helped tremendously after 2-3 weeks. The info about IC and how it helps is on their website. My doctor recommended it or else I would have just thought it was another fad vitamin thing.

Good luck and hope you feel better! As far as those instillations, I've only had them once and I didn't think they helped as much as the meds above. But I'm not a doctor.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you very much for the reply!!! I will definitely check out what you have mentioned. Your information is very much appreciated.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
(female)

jocotter HB User

I hope you have found something to help you!

Closed Thread