It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Interstitial Cystitis (IC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
(female)

lilaq HB User
Unhappy my interstitial cystitis pain

i was diagnosed with IC in 91. the first medications i was on were amitriptyline, ditropan (sp?) the ditropan did nothing. the amitriptyline actually worked quite well, but the side effects were too much for me. at that time, those were the only choices; except, of course, diet. i studied the diet plan with a vengence and with MANY trials and errors. (and some of the errors were mistakes i'll NEVER make again!!!) i felt like the diet changes gave me as much relief as the medicine did. now, there were some days, and some instances, 1-3 weeks where i was VERY miserable and in CONSTANT pain. i was always able to turn it around with diet. (eventually.) about 3 months ago, i had a mild bladder infection. I have been in chronic, constant pain ever since. (i mean there are times that i can't even get out of bed.) i've done everything i know to get better at this point. (including taking the amitriptyline again, which no longer works.) if anyone has any advice on how to fix this, or even a reason as to why it has happened after being in control of it for years, (and that came with a LOT of bladder training{many year's worth}) i would appreciate advice very much. i can't stay curled up in a ball whilst in tears for 6 hours out of every day. I have read up on all the medications, all the dietary changes, and all the remedies; (i've tried almaron for over a year. no luck.) if anyone has ANYTHING that has worked for them or someone they know, (or even an explanation as to why things have gone so badly after my bladder infection) then please please please share it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: my interstitial cystitis pain

lilaq,

Three months ago you HAD a mild bladder (bacterial) infection. Did your doctor give you an antibiotic regimen to follow? Did you follow it exactly? And was there a follow-up exam to show that the infection was cleared up?

I'm not familliar with amitriptyline or ditropan. Please explain what they are for.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
(female)

lilaq HB User
Re: my interstitial cystitis pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR41 View Post
lilaq,

Three months ago you HAD a mild bladder (bacterial) infection. Did your doctor give you an antibiotic regimen to follow? Did you follow it exactly? And was there a follow-up exam to show that the infection was cleared up?

I'm not familliar with amitriptyline or ditropan. Please explain what they are for.
yes, he gave me ciprio (sp?) and i had a follow up to ensure that it was gone.

the bladder infection was treated at the family doctor's. the amitriptyline was from the urologist. it is also known as elabil. it's initial use is for depression; however, they've also found that they've had success with some pain management with IC patients.

ditropan is supposed to help calm early signals to void and some pressure and discomfort. (it also makes your throat and mouth really dry. i couldn't hack that.)

the real question is, why has my control of my IC have it's last straw moment after this infection? ( I.E. why can't i control it?)

maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the bladder infection, but that's when the pain really started up.

-- lilaq

Closed Thread