It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Interstitial Cystitis (IC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
(female)

Megal HB User
Elmiron while pregnant...

I am pregnant, have interstitial cystitis and have been taking Elmiron. My OB said it is a class B drug and fine during pregnancy. I am just over 6 weeks pregnant (found out 1 week ago) and am feeling nervous about staying on the medication. I have read other posts where all of the women say they went off while pregnant.

I have been in pain and have had flare up symptoms for several weeks now and am still on the Elmiron. At this point and am scared to go off of it, but if there is any chance it can hurt my baby... I am willing to do anything.

Has anyone stayed on it while pregnant? I know there must be people out there if my doctor is saying it is safe.

Any advice or input?

Thanks

Old 12-09-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Elmiron while pregnant...

Hi I have just read that both blueberries and cranberries are supposed to be good for cystitis if you happen to be interested. I would stay away from the very sweet cranberry juice however and use the ones with the least number of carbs (carbohydrates). Fresh and frozen ones can be obtained without sugar added.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I have just read that both blueberries and cranberries are supposed to be good for cystitis if you happen to be interested. I would stay away from the very sweet cranberry juice however and use the ones with the least number of carbs (carbohydrates). Fresh and frozen ones can be obtained without sugar added. A nurse told me years ago to always have a glass of water in my hand and my bladder constantly emptied while dealing with it but I was not pregnant. According to the net a pregnant woman needs 6-8 glasses of water a day plus an 8 ounce glass for every hour of light activity. Another site said a gallon of water a day for a pregnant woman.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #4
(female)

rockcandy96 HB User

That's weird. My dr asked me if I was planning on getting pregnant since I stopped taking my birth control about a month ago since the last time I saw him and I said no. And he said well if you do, or become pregnant, you need to tell me because you need to be off this medication. I am taking Elmiron as well? I'm not sure what to tell you. What does the drug information say?

Old 12-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
(female)

Megal HB User

Thanks for the input.
I decided to stop taking the Elmiron and see what happens. I called my doctor to ask what I should do if I have problems, but I have not heard back. So far, I have not had any problems.
A little over a week ago I had an ultrasound and was told the baby's heart rate was slow. I stopped taking it that evening. I went back for a follow-up ultrasound today and the heart rate is within normal range. It may be unrelated, but I am going to stay off of the Elmiron for now anyway.
I have heard that Elmiron is safe for use during pregnancy and that it does not cross the placenta into fetal blood circulation, but I don't want to take any chances at this point.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I found some more things to add in the book which includes squash seeds citrus fruits onion and to avoid, spices, chilies, coffee, soft drinks and I probably don't have to tell you wines or other forms of alcohol because it could harm the baby. Excess starch was also mentioned (probably like added cornstarch tapioca or kudzu root, lots of white flour or things found in boxes or bags that are highly refined).

Potatoes with peelings left on (in good shape with as few spots or bruises possible) should be ok with unsweetened soymilk.

zwieback can be made twice toasted whole wheat bread without additives or hydrogenated food, all leafy vegetables, carrots, okra, cauliflower, and eggplant are very good.

One book says, "it is felt best not to raise the body temperature of pregnant women"
A place on the net says not above 98 degrees for a shower. One site says no baths because it says it is "stagnant." I also believe it would contribute to the germ level in the lower areas of the body to take baths. If showers are used in the old days they used to say a railing and anti-slip things in the tub or floor of shower area. Nowdays may be different I need to check. In my opinion at least a natural type antiseptic may be useful with a scrub brush for making sure the shower area is kept clean.

Another book mentions causes from injuries, blows, falls or men with venereal diseases. Another cause is waste matter that is absorbed by putrefecation in the colon. The bowels might be kept normal if they tighten by a bit of low sugar prune juice if necessary a person might dilute it a bit to lessen it further in amount of sugar.

More later maybe...

Old 04-15-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
(female)

chistin HB User

It depends on the person and the pregnancy. When I was pregnant with DD, I was in extreme pain the first trimester.

Closed Thread