It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Interstitial Cystitis (IC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
(female)

Dihyde HB User
Unhappy Eight month bladder infection along with IC really need HELP?

Hello,
I am twenty eight and have had IC for eight years now. It has always been bad but I have managed. I have been through the usuall IC meds of Elmiron, Elavil, Lyrica and others with little improvememt. Anyways about eight months ago I developed a horrible bladder infection that would not go away. I have been on at least three rounds each of almost every antibiotic under the sun. Last month I had a PICC line removed which delivered about 1500 mgs of Primaxin. I had those IV antibiotics for about a month and a half. I have been on a preventitive dose of Macrobid for about a month and a half and this keeps the infection in check. I know it is still in there and if I was to quit the antibiotics the infection would quickly return as this has been the case many times before. I have had so many antibiotics that I am allergic to most of them and I have horrible GERD from them tearing up my stomach and throat. I just had a scope the other day and the doc said my bladder was a little irritated but nothing else. I am confused because the pain is so excruciating I thought the camera would pick up on something right away. I have horrid, excruciating spasms and pain and am on heavy duty meds to help with this. I usually lay in bed and cry because the pain is so bad and I can't do a thing. I would like to be able to get off of pain meds and actually function again so I am wondering if anyone with IC or even bad bladder infections can help. I am thinking it is some kind of muscle issue so I am having Urodymamics next week. I am on probiotics, D-Mannose, Uribel, Vit D, Luvena prebiotics and have tried concentrated cranberry capsules. These and the diet modifications have really helped my IC. The problem is that the pain and infection? is now in the urethral, vaginal area. I usually go to bed with a huge ice pack to help the swelling. Going to OBGYN for more input. Does anyone have any ideas or recomendations as I am really suffering with the pain.
Thank You,
Diane

The following user gives a hug of support to Dihyde:
MsTasha601 (06-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #2
(female)

MsTasha601 HB UserMsTasha601 HB User
Re: Eight month bladder infection along with IC really need HELP?

Dihyde, I feel your pain....I really do. I too have IC. I made a post a few weeks ago about a urethra widening procedure I had second thoughts and I did some research and it stated online that it wouldn't help for IC. Well I finally went through it.I got tired of being in pain and constantly running to the bathroom. It's been almost 3days since I had it done and I have to say I feel a little bit better already. The doc did the urethra procedure and also stretched my bladder. I was also taking Enablex for my bladder spasms and that helped me and is still helping. Can't say anything about the UTI's though I haven't had that problem. Hope everything works out for ya. Hang in there.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
(female)

Dihyde HB User

MsTasha,

Thanks for the encouragement. I've had two hydrodistentions with urethral dilations and yes after the initial pain you will get a lot of relief. My last hydro was two years ago and I might be looking at having it done again as a way to see if it will wash out the infection. I was never able to do the test I needed to because the infection flared up again. It never really goes away the antibiotics just keep it at a low level. Looking for a new doctor as my gyno told me there is nothing wrong with me its all in my head. Anyways If you have any questions I know a lot about IC Just not chronic bladder infections lol. So feel free to ask me if you ever need info on anything.
Take care,
Diane

The following user gives a hug of support to Dihyde:
MsTasha601 (06-20-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to Dihyde For This Useful Post:
MsTasha601 (06-20-2011)
Old 07-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
(female)

Ksusha77 HB User

Hi Diane
I'm having similar problems with UTIs and not officially diagnosed yet but suspected IC. I"m also young (in my early twenties). I'm not even sure what everything started with. I had bladder infections in my teen years. Then they stopped not sure why. I got married. I had all the symptoms of UTI but had no bacterial infection...until last September, when bacterial infections have been literally attacking me. I've had more days with UTI (and all its miserable symptoms I'm sure you're familiar with) than without since then (about 9 months now). Been on many different antibiotics. First they worked and symptoms would clear up after treatment, but then what I have now is worse. I have these UTI-symptoms all the time whether I have infection or not. I'm constantly on antibiotics and seeing a urologist but so far I don't know what to do. I'm desperate.
I was just looking for some input, update from you on how you've been doing.
Will be happy to hear from you.

Oksana

Closed Thread