It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Interstitial Cystitis (IC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
(female)

hyacinthk HB User
I Don't Like My Bladder

Brief history:

-I had a severe bladder infection a few years ago. (They had to get rid of it with a lot of medication including getting shots in the butt to completely get rid of it).

-I had never had bladder issues until this incident. Afterwards, I noticed my bladder was weak. My doctor suggested it was because my bladder had undergone such a huge infection, and that time would heal it.

I hope I'm not going crazy. But it's always been in the back of my mind that there's something wrong with my bladder. I wonder if I have permanant damage because of this infection. Yes, it was years ago. But it was huge. I don't know the name of what it was exactly, but it was a big one. My doctor had even suggested that maybe the "walls" of my bladder had been eroded because of the infection. Since this infection, I've had a few UTI's since. I take cranberry pills daily, and never miss a day. So I'm doing everything on my end.

I'm posting because I wonder if it's all in my head, or if I legitimately have a problem. I go to the bathroom I would say more than the average person. I like to empty myself before going into work, always "double checking" myself before I go anywhere. I don't get up at night or anything. But I wonder if I have bladder spasms or something. I do sometimes get strong urges to urinate.

Is this all in my head? =/

Old 06-23-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
(female)

pianokeys HB User
Re: I Don't Like My Bladder

You're not going crazy! Your worries are reasonable, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. Does that make sense? Your doctor could be correct about the walls of your bladder being damaged (s/he was probably referring to the waxy coating that protects the cells underneath--it's what normally protects the bladder from irritation from the salts and other compounds in urine), and maybe that has something to do with your subsequent UTIs. It's hard to say what's a "normal" frequency for needing to go pee, but it doesn't sound like you have frequency problems--just that you don't want to get caught in a situation where you have to go pee but can't get to a bathroom.

Please go easy on the cranberry pills, though. Everything in moderation! Cranberry has been shown to help prevent UTIs--likely because it stops bacteria from binding to the walls of the bladder--but it's also a bladder irritant. I remember reading a study, possibly from Sweden, where the researchers concluded that drinking cranberry juice daily for a week (or maybe a month) reduced the subjects' likelihood of getting a UTI for the rest of the year. The best thing you can do for your bladder is to drink plenty of water and avoid excess intake of irritants (cranberry, alcohol, coffee, citrus, etc.).

Hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread