It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Interstitial Cystitis (IC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
(female)

emeadows HB Useremeadows HB User
How do you control your urgency?

My urologist keeps dialating me in office. This really hurts and he thinks this is part of the many issues I am having. I am steadily loosing all bladder control. Recently diagnosed with MS as well. Looking for advice that may help. I have about 30 seconds to make it to the bathroom on average. On a good day, about 90 seconds.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
Re: How do you control your urgency?

I have IC & when diagnosed several years ago I was told I had a small bladder. Urologist wanted to dilate my bladder & at first I considered it but after thinking about it I decided not to have it done. Urologist also discussed taking out part of my bladder. IC is not only painful but when I'm in a bad flare there is no sleep either.

I'm not giving medical advice but I will tell you the only thing that has helped me but it might not work for you. I was prescribed Neurontin/Gabapentin by my neurologist for seizures & also for nerve pain in my legs. Was I surprised when I realized after the first dose than my bladder pain was also gone along with the urgency & frequency. I could actually sleep part of the night.

There are other similar meds for nerve pain that might work as well but I don't know if a Urologist would prescribe them or not.

Sorry so long a post, but one more thing I have read that helps some with IC is Valium vaginal suppositories. I have not tried this since Neurontin works well for me. Hope you get relief soon.

Last edited by sammi2; 09-27-2011 at 04:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
(female)

emeadows HB Useremeadows HB User

I have tried the Neurotin and it just made my brain issues worse. I have had a lot of bad side effects with most meds I have tried. Some are reactions to other meds I am on. My Urologist has told me my IC is one of the worse cases he has ever seen. It has taken almost 1 year to get this far. I only get up about 1-2 times at night now most nights.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User

When I first started Neurontin it seemed to slow my brain but after I adjusted the drowsy/lethargic side effect wore off. I was so glad to get relief from urinating every 15 min, 24 hrs day, I was willing to put up with the side effects. On my best nights now I still get up at least 3 times. I'm glad you've had improvement & hope it continues.

Closed Thread