It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Interstitial Cystitis (IC) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #1
(female)

Tricia76 HB User
Intertitial Cystitis....

It has been one month after my diagnosis of ITC or IC. I am taking Elmiron and cephalexin every day. I am just now learning what I can eat. I now put peppermint pills in my water for flavor. I need to find out how I can get rid of the acids in Earl Gray and Oolong tea. I take prelief but I don't think that is enough. Am I going to have to give up my favorite teas. I understand KAVA is tasty. I would love to hear from someone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #2
(female)

kunibob HB User
Re: Intertitial Cystitis....

You may find that as time passes and your symptoms stabilize, you will be able to expand your diet. I can tolerate many things I couldn't when I was first diagnosed. It took a couple years, but now my diet is pretty broad.

In the meantime, you might be able to find low-acid versions of the things you love. I tolerate rooibos very well, and even though it's not caffeinated, there are great flavours available in it (I found a lovely earl grey rooibos.) You can also try taking extra prelief with it to see if that helps.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
(female)

Tricia76 HB User

Thank you. Rooibos ? haven't heard of this. Is sauerkraut off the list? I did eat a spicy pepperoni pizza and it was wonderful. I didn't notice any pain but when I pee'd my urine felt hot...it didn't burn so I take that as a side effect/affect?

Old 02-07-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
(female)

kunibob HB User

Rooibos is also known as red bush tea or African red tea; it comes from a plant that doesn't contain caffeine. Some people have problems with it, but many IC patients can take it just fine.

What you can eat and what you can't will vary from person to person. Most people have problems with chocolate, but I never did (thank goodness!) Meanwhile, many people can take small amounts of tofu, but it flares my IC like there's no tomorrow. It's kind of a trial and error basis that takes a long time to refine...I'm still learning things now and then, haha. Sauerkraut doesn't bother me, but I'm not as diet sensitive now, and didn't eat it when I was...so...I guess try it and see how it goes?

Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
(female)

Tricia76 HB User

Thanks alot. I guess if I have to think about that long, I need to just pass it by. Mozzerelli cheese is good (yeah). I make my own bread and it is wonderful. No preservatives there and the salt is low.

Closed Thread