It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

IBS and not eating

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-31-2016, 07:10 AM   #1
manymeows
(female)

manymeows HB User
IBS and not eating

Hi

I was first diagnosed with IBS in 2014. I've always had stomach/bowel issues but it's never been as bad as it has been this year. I've had tests for everything to rule out colitis (which two members of my family have) and crohns. I never had a colonoscopy though, just the inflammation tests. (I'm terrified of the prep for colonoscopies as I have never reacted well to intense stomach pains and diarrhoea - triggers my panic attacks).

It got really bad towards the end of October and I'm still in hell with it. I've gone backwards and forwards. Seen doctors countless times. I figure it's mostly due to stress and anxiety.

However, I'm currently not really eating. I've lost loads of weight. It seems to be getting worse and I'm naturally thin and so I've always had an underweight BMI when I'm at my normal weight. I'm just so scared that this will get worse and turn into something else.

I'm terrified again of what certain foods may do to my bowels. Scared of the anxiety and panic attacks it may trigger. But now I'm also feeling like, not really hungry anyway? Or I guess lack of appetite even though I want to eat. Sometimes I think I feel a bit nauseous too and I know these are all IBS symptoms but I'm scared of it getting out of hand.

I feel awful and I'm not sure how to go about fixing it and getting better. I'm worrying constantly too which I know isn't helping me. The stress/worry is probably another reason why I don't particularly feel like eating.

Part of me wants to be hospitalised so I can be treated proper and under care. I don't want it to get really bad. I'm honestly terrified. Has anyone ever experienced their IBS getting so bad it has really affected their eating and caused weight loss? What did you do?

The following user gives a hug of support to manymeows:
movielover40 (01-23-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #2
NYDiane
(female)

NYDiane HB User
Re: IBS and not eating

Quote:
Originally Posted by manymeows View Post
Hi

I was first diagnosed with IBS in 2014. I've always had stomach/bowel issues but it's never been as bad as it has been this year. I've had tests for everything to rule out colitis (which two members of my family have) and crohns. I never had a colonoscopy though, just the inflammation tests. (I'm terrified of the prep for colonoscopies as I have never reacted well to intense stomach pains and diarrhoea - triggers my panic attacks).

It got really bad towards the end of October and I'm still in hell with it. I've gone backwards and forwards. Seen doctors countless times. I figure it's mostly due to stress and anxiety.

However, I'm currently not really eating. I've lost loads of weight. It seems to be getting worse and I'm naturally thin and so I've always had an underweight BMI when I'm at my normal weight. I'm just so scared that this will get worse and turn into something else.

I'm terrified again of what certain foods may do to my bowels. Scared of the anxiety and panic attacks it may trigger. But now I'm also feeling like, not really hungry anyway? Or I guess lack of appetite even though I want to eat. Sometimes I think I feel a bit nauseous too and I know these are all IBS symptoms but I'm scared of it getting out of hand.

I feel awful and I'm not sure how to go about fixing it and getting better. I'm worrying constantly too which I know isn't helping me. The stress/worry is probably another reason why I don't particularly feel like eating.

Part of me wants to be hospitalised so I can be treated proper and under care. I don't want it to get really bad. I'm honestly terrified. Has anyone ever experienced their IBS getting so bad it has really affected their eating and caused weight loss? What did you do?
I'm kind of in the same boat - I feel your pain. In my case, I have not been diagnosed with IBS but have more appts this week, but they did say internal hemorrhoids. I go through hell when it comes to BM's and finally started eating less just to hopefully AVOID the misery. I have lost a good 7-8 pounds. I eat much healthier, fruits veggies way less meats but yeah, overall, it's like I know if I eat I'm gonna pay. Really sick of this... but please, stop doing this yourself.

Find things, try, to find foods that good for you. Fruit maybe, veggies and salads are great. The one thing I hate HATE is this 'eat more fibre' well I tried it again last night and set my misery off, no more.

If I have trouble getting stool out, then my mind says I need less bulkier stools that are easier to pass, NOT harder to pass. I will have to tell the doc sorry but I refuse to keep making myself suffer with this fiber advice that does not work. I hope you feel better real soon.

Old 01-22-2017, 08:57 PM   #3
Leikela
(female)

Leikela HB User

Yes, I have IBS too and have had trouble eating. I have no appetite and really have no desire to eat. I have lost about 20 pounds in the past two months. I am overweight to begin with so I am not concerned yet about being reduced to a skeleton.

What I have found to help is that I am drinking Boost which is a drink filled with vitamins and minerals. I have also been following a low FODMAP (Fermentable Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides And Polyols) diet. It has been helping and today I ate the most that I have in awhile.

I have also been working on my anxiety/stress, which is definitely a factor with IBS. Good luck!

Last edited by Administrator; 01-22-2017 at 09:21 PM.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
SDR25
(female)

SDR25 HB User

I think all or us feel a little (sometimes lot) desperate with IBS. Anxiety can be both a trigger to symptoms, as episodes of IBS can be triggers to anxiety. So, for those already troubled by anxiety disorders it's a slippery slope.
BUT there's always hope. What I've found out is that no doctor knows how to solve your IBS troubles. You have to be the one to do it. And you know not eating isn't really the solution...
Have you tried the FODMAP diet?
This diet will help you identify which foods trigger your symptoms so you can make your own diet for your future diet.
Are you exercising regularly?
When having anxiety issues, exercise is a great medicine. Also gyms may provide you nutritionists to help guide you.
Are you drinking enough water every day?
At least 1,5 L. Water makes everything work in our body.
You have to take charge. No one else will help you. You have to help yourself. Best or wishes for you.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:39 PM   #5
Shelley2020

Shelley2020 HB User

I totally get the lack of appetite! Currently, I am in yet another flare (seriously, does IBS normally flare like this?) and my appetite has gone to nothing. I eat what sounds like it may settle alright and I am failing miserably at that today. Everything is making me nauseated and in pain and on the verge of throwing up. My weight has gone down again and I'm not a fan because I am also naturally thin and have always been classified as 'underweight'.

But I still force myself to eat. It's not pleasant. It's not fun. It sucks, but I need to. Because food is what gives you the energy and nutrients you need to live. I'm sure you know this.

Have you talked to someone about this? A close friend, family member, therapist? I have PTSD and whenever I'm having issues with digestion more, I get more panic attacks over what will/will not cause me pain. Talking through it has been helpful. I'm just putting it out there.

Definitely talk to your doctor and be extremely vigilant about WHY you're not eating. You have little appetite. You're afraid of what food will do to you. Stuff like that. By being specific and making sure they understand that it's the IBS that's causing you so many problems, they should help.

Reply Reply

Tags
anxiety, disordered eating, ibs