It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

Hip spasms and IBS

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
smokeymtnrain
(female)

smokeymtnrain HB Usersmokeymtnrain HB User
Hip spasms and IBS

I'm trying to understand IBS since its been awhile of having to deal with it. I get periodically a spasm or brief tightness if you will on my right hip just above the hip bone. Is that trapped gas or something? It comes and goes from time to time. When I have to go to the bathroom, I don't always go and then the sensation goes away and I know that's not good but sometimes there isn't a choice. Anyone ever experience right hip spasms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #2
SDR25
(female)

SDR25 HB User
Re: Hip spasms and IBS

Hi. If I recall right the end of the colon is usually in that part or the body, the lower abdomen on the right, so if your having constipation it's probable you might have some sensation on there.. I honestly have had either air, spams or pain everywhere in my abdomen and back, at some point. It's probably nothing. Just another IBS thing.

Old 02-14-2017, 03:58 PM   #3
smokeymtnrain
(female)

The weird thing is, I can be doing nothing or laying down and all of a sudden, it will spasm for a few seconds or like its tightening up. I don't know if its an IBS thing or a hip flexor muscle thing. Can IBS mess with the hip flexor? Its never on the left side. I have had chronic low back pain for years and I don't know if that's IBS or Structural or just plain arthritis aq nd no matter what Dr you go to, they will find something to keep you coming back or they will refer you and doctor after doctor and test after test gets really time consuming and expensive so what to do.....

Old 02-15-2017, 05:36 AM   #4
SDR25
(female)

SDR25 HB User

The hip flexors are muscles that conect the hip to the abdomen, which is the area normaly afected by IBS.
Instestinal spasms we feel with IBS usually have to do with the perestaltic movements (contraction of the instestines that is needed to push out the stool, or air), not necessaraly with any other muscles.
Any muscle spasm (and sometimes i have them on my legs, nothing to do with IBS or any disease whatsoever) can be due to stress, lack of sleep, excessive consumption of caffeine, lack of magnesium, excessive exercise. The reality is spams ocurr many times out of the blue and many times are just a benignant neuromuscular response (that's the case with my leg spasms).
Of course if one wants to dig deeper, there is also a possibility of them being connected to neuromuscular disorders, muscular distrophias (like Erb's disease) and arthritis. So if you already have arthritis it might be related.
I realise many of the tests done in these cases I've done them when I was going through all the exams and blood work before I was diagnosed with IBS. You can check if you've already done such exams, not to go trough it again.
If there was nothing of concern then, maybe you really have nothing to worry about.
Anyway, it can be nothing and doctors wont really have nothing to add to it or you can go to the doctor and have any exams necessary to check it.
No one can really diagnose you anything over the internet.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
smokeymtnrain
(female)

True and in fact in looking on the internet, one could easily think worst case scenario whatever that may be. I do have poor posture if that even has to do with anything and when I go to the chiropractor, he says that my pelvis has rotated a little bit. (How he figures that out, I have not a clue) so, I don't know...you know, in a normal diet, they say fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds are very healthy....but what about people with IBS? What can we really eat that's good for us? What comfort foods can we have? I read a ton of don't eat this, don't eat that and I'm thinking, what the neck is left? Menopause seems to have magnified my IBS if that's even possible and I tell ya...getting older is hard work! Wish I was guided into taking better care of myself growing up.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:44 PM   #6
SDR25
(female)

SDR25 HB User

I feel you there. I've left a lot of food behind, there's a lot I don't eat now and a lot a eat rarely because of GERD and IBS.
I think each person with IBS needs to figure out their own diet.
1st off it depends if you have IBS-D (Diarreah), IBS-C (constipation) or a mix of both (which is my case).
If you have IBS-D or IBS-C it's easier to figure out a diet.
Then it also depends on your symptoms and which are the worst for you. E.g. if it's gas, then you might need to avoid beans and alike. In essence you need to try to identify which foods are bad / worst for you and either reduce or eliminate them from your diet.
Drinking a lot of water everyday is key.
You can try doing this through the FODMAP diet.

Menopause can exacerbate IBS, as any other hormonal changes. Also it can be triggered by anxiety and we women can be emotional wrecks sometimes. I believe this may be why IBS is prevalent in women. For e.g. when I have my period I always have an IBS crisis.

Trying to do better with my daughter so she doesn't go trough the same when she grow's up.

Last edited by SDR25; 02-24-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:04 AM   #7
Reflux hell
(male)

Reflux hell HB User

OP have you ever had appendicitis? I had appendicitis and it started out feeling like I'd strained a muscle on my right side and it got progressively worse.

Eventually had a laparoscopy with the doctors saying they'll remove my appendix if it's inflamed and of course there it was on the verge of bursting.

I'm not trying to scare you and in your case it's probably not but maybe mention it too your doctor and get them to check for reflux tenderness on your right side.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:35 AM   #8
smokeymtnrain
(female)

I have actually had this off and on tight/spasm thing on the right side since 2014 in looking back at my diary of symptoms that I write down. I keep a journal because whenever I go to the Dr, they ask when did it start or how long have you had it, etc...and I'm bad at paying attention to things so I write it down.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:35 PM   #9
smokeymtnrain
(female)

I'm wondering if IBS can cause low back pain or if they just aren't connected at all...

Reply Reply