It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board

Metamucil has saved my life!!!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2017, 03:32 AM   #1
MrsLandry
(female)

MrsLandry HB User
Metamucil has saved my life!!!

Okay, back story time. All my life till now (25 years) I thought straining to poop, then going through periods of diarrhea and immediately having to go after eating was normal. I didn't understand how someone could eat andinner then hours later have a normal BM. That was fantasy land to me. But then I got a kidney infection after Christmas last year, it lasted for a month and I had a kidney stone right after. I took 3 types of antibiotics for the infection, and still, two months later, have gut problems. That's not pretty, especially topped with the aforementioned issues from childhood. So one day, my mother in law is coming over and the hubby tells her to pick up some metamucil for me as I had not been able to poop at all for days. I thought "wait...that's just for Old people.." Lol. No. Since then, I've been taking it daily and it has been an absolute Godsend. It's the orange, sugar free smooth powder. Wonderful. It does cause some gas, but only while you're getting used to it. Other than that, my issue is that it makes pooping much more urgent for me, but compared to my life beforehand, it is SO worth it! I seriously cannot stop singing it's praises.

The following user gives a hug of support to MrsLandry:
movielover40 (03-31-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
movielover40
Senior Veteran
(male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
Re: Metamucil has saved my life!!!

I've been taking it for several years for IBS.

I also take some prescription Cholestyramine if it flairs up.

Glad your feeling much better.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:05 PM   #3
dac122
(male)

dac122 HB User

Glad to hear it works for you. I have a similar situation of IBS that tends toward constipation. I use magnesium but maybe I could try this. How much do you use for your body weight?

Old 06-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #4
Kenrock49
(male)

Kenrock49 HB User

My wife have been taking metamucil for years and it has changed our life especially my wife's. I have the IBS and she was just always constipated.

After my colonoscopy, my doctor said that i have to eat more greens like cabbage broccoli spinach. I replied i do since my wife is Italian and i eat quite a bit. He in turn said it was not enough. I am on blood thinners due to a heart valve and i have to control my Vitamin K otherwise i would be in trouble. Well he recommended Metamucil.. It was amazing.

My mother in law had trouble and we finally convinced her to take it with us. We had a difficult time convincing her! The first thing she did each morning was to take a teaspoon with water. She did it even when she was dying. She had Alzeiheimers but she still took it on her own...

You don't have to take the magnesium or anything else. Follow the directions on the label. You won't regret it....

Kenrock

The Following User Says Thank You to Kenrock49 For This Useful Post:
dac122 (06-09-2017)
Reply Reply