It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2003, 11:55 AM   #1
Hi_its_Joe

Question IBS & left-side pain...common?

Hello and sorry this is so long.

I have been meaning to post in this IBS forum for weeks now so here goes...

I have suffered from bowel problems off and on for many years (I'm 40 now and male last time I checked). Usually these bowel problems are not too bad and I don't consider myself to be "debilitated" or anything because of them.

About a year ago I went to see a gastroenterologist and I explained my symptoms to him. The first words out of his mouth were...

"...You don't have to say anymore because I already know exactly what you have. I'm diagnosing you with Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Lactose Intolerance".

At first I was kind of taken back by his confidence at what I had without having even done any tests on me but the more I thought about it and the more I read about IBS, the more it fit me like a glove. I mean, the symptoms I read about IBS were as if someone had written a script for my life. Every symptom was a perfect match for me!. The shocker came when I called my mom one day and just casually mentioned that I had been diagnosed with IBS and she told me that she had IBS too and then described the symptoms to me.

Anyway, what happens with me is that I'll be fine for a few days and then I'll eat a perfectly healthy, normal meal and about 15 minutes later I get unbelievable cramping like someone is literaly ripping my guts out. It is so excruciatingly painful sometimes that I can't even describe it. Sometimes it is really bad and other times it is just moderately painful. Then I start to get gas, followed by diarrhea and soon I am running back and forth to toilet every 10-15 minutes.

What really bothers me is that I'll get this mild to moderate soreness on the lower left side of my abdomen (below the kidney area) that refers pain down into my groin and left teste. I was alreadfy tested for diverticulitus and I've had numerous ultrasounds of my testes and everything came back ok. So can IBS cause these symptoms and does anyone else experience them?.

Finally, I have heard a lot of good things about Metamucil/Psillium and how this can help ease the pain, cramping, diarrhea and other symptoms of IBS. Is this true?. What do you people do for relief?.

Thank's again and I look forward to hearing from fellow IBS sufferers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2003, 12:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

bulletinboard25 HB User
Re: IBS & left-side pain...common?

sometimes i get a pain on my left side below my left rib.... it sometimes wakes me up at night... but its something i deal w/ and just get over....
about the metamucil.. a lot of people have found relief from taking it.... you may try it.. there are quite a few websites that will give you information on how to take it for ibs...
there is also something you may ask your doctor about that you can take for cramping... its called donnatal.. generic is belladonna/phenobarb.... it reduces cramping, and also has a sedative in it which is used for its calming effects....
thats something that helped me a lot...
others have found calcium supplements help... citrate i feel is better than carbonate... carbonate can't be digested w/ out food.. whereas citrate can be, and its just more easily digested overall.. be sure your calcium supp. has vitamin d in it, as this allows for it to absorbed...

Closed Thread