It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2003, 03:57 AM   #1

breakfast HB User
Psyllium seed husk? Help on hard stools constipation pls.

Who has luck with Psyllium seed husk? I don't.

I have IBS (constipation usually hard stool) and my abdominal area is always bloated.

When I took Psyllium seed husk capsule, my 'tummy' bloated so badly until I felt like it's going to explode. The worst part is that I still can't have bowel movement since I had bowel blockage from the hard stools.

What can I eat (food or supplement or powdered blend) other than laxatives to promote loose stool and regularity? My IBS is so bad that bowel movement can take weeks to happened!!!

Sometime I envy those who could have diarrhea because hard stools are unbearable! And unbearable weeks after weeks.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-24-2003, 04:38 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User
Re: Psyllium seed husk? Help on hard stools constipation pls.

Did you say weeks????? Oh my.

Did you drink enough water? If you take fiber of any kind and don't drink enough water it can become a blockage. Drink a full cup of water with any fiber supplement, don't gulp just keep sipping until it is gone. Drink water throughout the day. Buy a water bottle and take it to work. A have a brita filter and bring fresh filtered water with me everyday, sometimes a splash of gatorade or lemon for flavor.

Also, psyllium did not work for me either, i take FIBERCON in a pill form. I have been using this supplement about a year and half and it works great. In your case it may take 1-2 days to kick in, for me its about 24 hours. But, drink your water with it.

Another thing that works for me is a hot cup of GOOD coffee in the morning, I buy whole organic beans and grind them myself, put in some cinammon and cream and it works like a laxative. And is so tasty!!! But, if I drink coffee any other time of day it makes me bloated. weird eh?

Finally, don't let yourself go weeks without going potty. That is BAD, and can make you sick with toxic overload. See a doctor if that type of problem persists, you could have something more then IBS. If you cannot go, then stop eating whole foods until you do, drink water, and eat broth, yogurt and hot cereals only until something happens. You don't need to keep putting more food in your body if it is not digesting properly.

Good luck!

Last edited by moderator4; 01-03-2004 at 06:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2003, 04:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

Aloe has worked well for me. BM's are almost on time and much easier on the system. Aloe also seems to calm my colon.

Old 12-25-2003, 11:26 PM   #4

breakfast HB User

Hope2heal, I can't access to Fibercon and coffee has never been laxative for me, though it does to some of my friends. How I envy them.

But I will try to increase my intake of water.

Yes, it took weeks and by then my tummy is so bloated that I m quite reluctant to drink water as my tummy feel so terrible (bloated). All the water drunk doesn't seem to be absorbed together with the stool but it was 'pee' out instead.

I resorted to stimulant laxative to get BM. I heard that it's not good to take stimulant laxative on a regulary basis but only when required. However, without the laxative stimulant, i can't have BM. What people had been saying about stimulant laxative is true. Not only do I developed dependency on it but the normal doses don't seem to work any more. So I had to increased the doses to get BM. I am trying to find healthy or natural alternatives to have loose stool.

donsabi, Aloe can come in many forms. Which forms are your recommending, pills, liquids, juices, and freeze dried soluble powders?

Old 12-26-2003, 06:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

don444 HB Userdon444 HB User

I use aloe juice concentrate. For intestinal gas I have found some relief with a product called CharcoCaps which is OTC.

Old 12-29-2003, 06:38 AM   #6

breakfast HB User

thanks donsabi, i will check them out.

Old 12-29-2003, 07:10 PM   #7

courtneyclv HB User

Hi,
Go to the second page of listings and see the headline, "miracle tea for ibs C"
I had the same problems you did. When I ate more fiber and water, the more bloated I became. I would gain about 5lbs in my stomach area! I even resorted to Colon hydrotherapy to get my stools out. Nothing worked for me except this tea by yogi tea called, get regular tea. Check out their website. (i am not allowed to list it here though) I also had a colonoscopy and found out nothing was wrong. I do know I dont drink enough water but even when I do..I am still constipated. This tea works wonders and has helped in the long run. wbs and good luck..I know what you are going through!

Old 01-02-2004, 07:36 AM   #8

breakfast HB User

hi courtneyclv,

thanks for your suggestion. I will check out our local health food stores to see if they carry them. By the way, how did you chances upon this yogi tea 'Get Regular tea'?

Old 01-02-2004, 01:17 PM   #9

courtneyclv HB User

How did I come across this great tea? I tried everything and was tired of looking pregnant. If I drank water I would blow up, if I ate anything, I would gain weight in my stomach area..and fiber didnt work either. I found the tea at a health food store and on their website and tried it. I don'tknow how coffee can work since it is a diuretic and dehydrates you???
Let me know how it goes!

Old 01-11-2004, 11:44 AM   #10
(male)

Dave64 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi
I use aloe juice concentrate. For intestinal gas I have found some relief with a product called CharcoCaps which is OTC.
I would try drinking a lot of water and eating a lot of fiber-filled cereals and fruits. Try drinking warm, but not hot, water. Warm water may "loosen you up"! Peace!

Old 01-11-2004, 02:20 PM   #11

Labs HB User

what is this IBS C? I've seen a few people refer to their IBs with a letter after it. where can I find out what kind of IBS catagory I fall under?
also I thought that metamucil was psyllium husks?

Old 01-13-2004, 08:32 AM   #12

breakfast HB User

Hi Labs,

IBS C meant irritable bowel syndrome of the constipation type.

From my understanding. people suffering from constant diarrhea also called themselves having IBS. The letter 'C' is to differentiate constipation from diarrhea.
As for metamucil, i m not too sure about this product as I don't consume it. But i think it contain psyllium.

-----------------
Hi donsabi,

I can't find Charcap for my bloating tummy but found similar product (Merck ultracarbon) with the active ingredient of Charcoal. But it say for Flatulency, food poisoning, drug poisoning, and diarrhea.

I suffered from constipation. If I take similar product that contains charcoal like Ultracarbon that I just mentioned, won't I be even more constipated????

By the way, I don't understand why it was said that acid indigestion causes bloating (gas) on some of the label for anti-gas product? I thought the more acidity in the stomach the better it help to digest or dissolve food (pardon me for my ignorance). If I m to take anti-gas tablets etc to help against the bloating problem, won't that make my stomach less acidic but alkaline, and be unable to digest my consume food????

I don't supposed my bloating tummy is cause indigestion. (hmm, how does indigestion and heartburn feel by the way? I don't think I hv this heartburn problem too). But my tummy just look bloated like a balloon, like gas has been pumped in. It's awful.

Appreciate yours and anyone who could advice.

----------------
Hi courtneyclv,

I took can't find Yogi Get Regular Tea as well. But I manage to find other brand of tea that also contain Senna (active ingredient).

Understand thru internet search that Senna is also a kind of laxative stimulant.

Last edited by breakfast; 01-13-2004 at 08:46 AM.

Old 01-16-2004, 07:50 PM   #13

Labs HB User

So if I have Diarehha and Constipation would I be an IBS C and D?
What about those suppositories have you tried those for your constipation? I tired those once and they worked like a charm.

Old 01-17-2004, 10:26 AM   #14

breakfast HB User

Hi Lab, I am new here. I don't think I can give any sound comment or suggestion for anyone as I am looking for answers here as well.

I hope other members can answer your question and offer you helpful advice/suggestion.

Nope,I have never tried any suppositories. Only when I was a child but I hardly can recalled the experience.

Once, about 4-5 mths ago, I wanted to buy suppositories as suggested by somebody as being effective to constipation but I am quite put off to do as directed (instructions on the box).

Maybe one day, I have enough courage to buy and try.

At the moment, I am relying on herbal laxative that has senna (tablets) as 1 of the active ingredients to help me through BM. But it caused this sharp pain (probably contraction pulling effect or something) at a corner of my left abdominal area (probably the intestines?).

Beside, my constipation conditon are usually impacted (hard stool)(blockage). Just image, I am already blocked down there and senna laxative just simply causes this 'contraction' (don't know what to called it) so senna laxative is not the best solution for me. Maybe what i need is probably stool softener but the area that I leave I can't find any stool softener.

I don't want to keep on relying on laxative.

I am not too fond of fibre. I am already bad bloated all the time (even if it's just drinking water). And if I take fibre supplement, it just make it worse.

There is nothing that get rids of the bloating

Well that is my story.

Last edited by breakfast; 01-17-2004 at 10:30 AM.

Old 01-17-2004, 06:55 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Hope2Heal HB User

donsabi, Aloe can come in many forms. Which forms are your recommending, pills, liquids, juices, and freeze dried soluble powders?[/QUOTE]

HI

The reason I like fibercon is because it has no wheat or bran product in it. The active ingredient is calcium polycarbophil and is a bulk forming laxative. take the maximum amount until you see results then keep taking it every day like vitamins. Take on empty stomach with full glass of water. It has helped me a lot.

As for aloe, i used to take it in gel or liquid form and drink it. I read it is a toxic herb and should not be ingested so i stopped. It is meant to be used topically. But you may want to research that.

Last edited by moderator4; 01-18-2004 at 07:42 AM.

Closed Thread