It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2004, 04:09 PM   #1

hesnodgrass HB User
Chest Pain and IBS

Hello,

This is a long story but I hope someone will read it and have some ideas. I have been a sufferer of IBS since I was 13. I am now 40. The symptoms were always the same all these years. Typical diarrhea after eating certain foods coming on anywhere from a few hours to Ĺ day later. My symptoms were rarely that severe unless I ate the wrong foods for me. This includes gaseous vegetables, certain bread products (slight gluten intolerance), most dairy products and red meats. I have gotten used to this and accepted the condition and keep it under check with a very good gastroenterologist that I have seen for over 15 years and trust. The reason I am writing is something has changed and nobody can seem to figure out what is wrong.

Here is the history of the new issue. I decided in October of 2003 to try to get more vitamins via healthy green vegetable drinks from a health food store. These are pre-packed from a company called Naked Juice. I realized later that they include a number of gaseous vegetables but didnít seem to bother me. I also started taking a Probiotic called Primal Defense (ingredients here [url]http://www.gardenoflifeusa.com/detail_primal_defense.shtml[/url] ).
This was going along fine and I was feeling good and actually having less IBS problems.

Then about the beginning of December 2003 I was working at a different location than I normally do. A fairly low stress day, having fun while working with a number of people I have not met before. We ordered lunch in and I was brave and ordered a Pork sandwich at about 1pm from a restaurant that I have never had a problem with before. Also some of the people stated that they were working on a film set that a number of people had a stomach virus. None of the people I met that day seemed to have symptoms and I was very careful to stay clear and not shake hands, etc. That evening around 6pm I began to get chest pains that felt like an elephant was standing on my chest. I laid down, went to sleep in serious pain and awoke the next morning with no pain. I figured I was fine so went and got my flu shot as planned. That entire day no symptoms returned. The next morning after having a few slices of pizza the night before, I woke up with the same pain. Normally if I have pizza I may have slight IBS symptoms as I am careful how it is made. This pain stayed with me most of the day and the next day. I then went to a GP who found that my blood pressure was up to 150 over 110. I usually have normal or just slightly elevated Blood pressure. She treated me with Novasc and prevacid. The pain didnít change. A few days later the GP suggested I get an upper endoscopy (camera down the throat). My gastroenterologist did this and found absolutely nothing wrong, no ulcers, no inflammation, etc. He then sent me to a heart doctor who tested me for everything. Stress test, heart ultrasound, 3D imaging of my heart and valves and major arteries, you name it. Also nothing except for elevated blood pressure and high cholesterol that I already knew I had. He then changed meds to Lotensin (for high BP) and Crestor (for High Cholesterol).
Numerous blood tests were done and nothing was abnormal and I also had no infections and or food poisoning. I also had an ultrasound of all of my organs from my chest down to my abdomen and all was fine including the Gallbladder, kidneys, liver, etc. I was also placed on a bland diet. I noticed then when I didnít eat when preparing for the day of testing the pain went away. To conclude the story, it is over 1 Ĺ months later and the pain is still around if I eat anything other than home made chicken, matzo ball soup, canned tuna fish and rice. I also can only drink Gatorade or sprite. Water even seems to cause a flare up. My Gastro doc thinks this is a flare up of IBS that has manifested itself in a different way and it will pass.

All I know is that I canít eat anything other then the food mention above or the symptoms return. Also if the day is very stressful that can cause a flare up as well no matter what I eat. Another cause seems to be sitting at a desk and working on a computer, possibly the position I am in. I now take Lotensin, Crestor, Prevacid and Donnatal at night. The only other suggestion the gastro doc had is to add an antidepressant/anxiety med to see if that helps. I really don't want to take this type of med as well have tried it in the past and the side effects were unbearable. If anybody has any suggestions please help as I am beginning to not be able to work and I am worried it may never go away.

Thanks in advance
Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2004, 07:42 AM   #2
(female)

TexasCookie HB User
Re: Chest Pain and IBS

I sometimes get chest pain when I'm constipated and also a fluttery feeling but I know that doesn't help you. If you're like me, even if the docs say everything is ok you still worry and just worrying could cause some of the pain I think.

Old 02-02-2004, 12:32 PM   #3

mamu710 HB User
Smile Re: Chest Pain and IBS

Harry,
I too get chest pain. The first time I got this it seemed to me that I was having a heart attack. After that first time, I had the same experience with codiene. I now realize that its a reation of some kind. I get this when I eat raw vegetables and eggs. I attribute it to gas. I don't know if thats it or not. I know that if you get a gas pain it can be terrible though!
I was diagnosed with irritable bowel right after I had my gallbladder out 14 years ago. I've never posted on this board before but I've been having some pain also so I started nosing around here.
Is your pain sharp or achey? I've been having sharp pains. I woke up yesterday with a terrible stomach ache and then started getting the sharp pains.
Anyway, hope you get some answers.
mamu

Old 02-09-2004, 11:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile Re: Chest Pain and IBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesnodgrass
Hello,

This is a long story but I hope someone will read it and have some ideas. I have been a sufferer of IBS since I was 13. I am now 40. The symptoms were always the same all these years. Typical diarrhea after eating certain foods coming on anywhere from a few hours to Ĺ day later. My symptoms were rarely that severe unless I ate the wrong foods for me. This includes gaseous vegetables, certain bread products (slight gluten intolerance), most dairy products and red meats. I have gotten used to this and accepted the condition and keep it under check with a very good gastroenterologist that I have seen for over 15 years and trust. The reason I am writing is something has changed and nobody can seem to figure out what is wrong.

Here is the history of the new issue. I decided in October of 2003 to try to get more vitamins via healthy green vegetable drinks from a health food store. These are pre-packed from a company called Naked Juice. I realized later that they include a number of gaseous vegetables but didnít seem to bother me. I also started taking a Probiotic called Primal Defense (ingredients here [url]http://www.gardenoflifeusa.com/detail_primal_defense.shtml[/url] ).
This was going along fine and I was feeling good and actually having less IBS problems.

Then about the beginning of December 2003 I was working at a different location than I normally do. A fairly low stress day, having fun while working with a number of people I have not met before. We ordered lunch in and I was brave and ordered a Pork sandwich at about 1pm from a restaurant that I have never had a problem with before. Also some of the people stated that they were working on a film set that a number of people had a stomach virus. None of the people I met that day seemed to have symptoms and I was very careful to stay clear and not shake hands, etc. That evening around 6pm I began to get chest pains that felt like an elephant was standing on my chest. I laid down, went to sleep in serious pain and awoke the next morning with no pain. I figured I was fine so went and got my flu shot as planned. That entire day no symptoms returned. The next morning after having a few slices of pizza the night before, I woke up with the same pain. Normally if I have pizza I may have slight IBS symptoms as I am careful how it is made. This pain stayed with me most of the day and the next day. I then went to a GP who found that my blood pressure was up to 150 over 110. I usually have normal or just slightly elevated Blood pressure. She treated me with Novasc and prevacid. The pain didnít change. A few days later the GP suggested I get an upper endoscopy (camera down the throat). My gastroenterologist did this and found absolutely nothing wrong, no ulcers, no inflammation, etc. He then sent me to a heart doctor who tested me for everything. Stress test, heart ultrasound, 3D imaging of my heart and valves and major arteries, you name it. Also nothing except for elevated blood pressure and high cholesterol that I already knew I had. He then changed meds to Lotensin (for high BP) and Crestor (for High Cholesterol).
Numerous blood tests were done and nothing was abnormal and I also had no infections and or food poisoning. I also had an ultrasound of all of my organs from my chest down to my abdomen and all was fine including the Gallbladder, kidneys, liver, etc. I was also placed on a bland diet. I noticed then when I didnít eat when preparing for the day of testing the pain went away. To conclude the story, it is over 1 Ĺ months later and the pain is still around if I eat anything other than home made chicken, matzo ball soup, canned tuna fish and rice. I also can only drink Gatorade or sprite. Water even seems to cause a flare up. My Gastro doc thinks this is a flare up of IBS that has manifested itself in a different way and it will pass.

All I know is that I canít eat anything other then the food mention above or the symptoms return. Also if the day is very stressful that can cause a flare up as well no matter what I eat. Another cause seems to be sitting at a desk and working on a computer, possibly the position I am in. I now take Lotensin, Crestor, Prevacid and Donnatal at night. The only other suggestion the gastro doc had is to add an antidepressant/anxiety med to see if that helps. I really don't want to take this type of med as well have tried it in the past and the side effects were unbearable. If anybody has any suggestions please help as I am beginning to not be able to work and I am worried it may never go away.

Thanks in advance
Harry
Hi there - I have a history of GERD, and eventually needed surgery to repair a hiatal hernia and tighten up the lower esophageal sphincter, but I still get severe chest pain from built up gas, or if my esophagus goes into spasm. You may need the timing/contractions of the esophagus evaluated with a test called esophageal manometry because esophageal spasms can cause severe chest pain too - not just reflux. If you do have esophageal spasms, sometimes anti-anxiety meds or even Valium can ease the pain by relaxing the muscles of the esophagus.

Good luck to you,
Katie G

Closed Thread