It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2004, 03:40 PM   #1

fibrostinks HB User
Question about IBS-C and colace

I am IBS-C (pain pred) for 10+ years. Recently, my problem has truned more to constipation. I can usually go everyday, but often it takes alot of straining. If I dont stay on top of things with fiber cereal and water, I can get large impossible to pass stools.

My doctor told me to take Colace (stool softener). He told me I should take it every day or every other day. I know this isnt peri-colace, which is more a laxative. This doesnt help you go, it helps you go easier (like the commercial says) LOL. I asked him if this would be safe, arent laxatives addictive. He said the colace isnt a laxative and its not addictive. Is this true?

Anyway, I am concerned about taking it every other day. I know he said its not a laxative, but is this healthy? I dont want to become dependant on them as I already take them 1-2x a week as a security measure. I never want to have the impacted rectum again!!!!

Anyone with insight or advice, please help.

Oh and also I have tried all bulk fibers (cirtucel, metamucil, etc) and they do not work for me. My doctor told me to finally stop using them after several attempts. He said many females cannot handle them.

Old 04-02-2004, 03:33 PM   #2

fibrostinks HB User
Re: Question about IBS-C and colace

BUMP!

Noone has any info or insight about the safety of stool softeners ( docusate or colace)?? Noone has taken them for any extended period?

It says they arent stimulants? Anyone know?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2004, 02:41 AM   #3

MissLafay HB User
Lightbulb Re: Question about IBS-C and colace

Actually you need to avoid laxatives of any kind. As for stool softeners, my doctor gave me a prescription to be used ONLY AS NEEDED. I no longer use any medications for my IBS.
Here's the best regimen:

Drink Citricil every day. It helps. If one glass a day doesn't do it, try two. Don't go for anything harsher than that. It will end up causing more discomfort.

WALK. Walking massages the colon and induces natural movements. 20 minutes each day, on a treadmill or around the block. It's also good for those of us suffering from Fibromyalgia.

Avoid stress if you can. I was able to quit my job and collect disability, and my IBS rarely acts up now.

Last edited by MissLafay; 04-03-2004 at 02:43 AM.

Old 04-03-2004, 04:46 AM   #4

fibrostinks HB User

I am confused, because 95% of what I read said that the docusate I am taking is a stool softener, NOT a laxative, and is safe to take every day and is non-habit forming??? My doctor is the one who told me I needed to be taking it every day????

Trust me, if it was as simple as any of that other stuff working for me, I would be doing it. I have been trying stuff for over 10 years. Citrucil, metamucil...NONE of them help me and just make me WORSE. I also already do walk and that does nothing either. And avoiding stress is impossible. I cannot quit my job unless I want to be homeless.

Anway, I guess I just dont understand why people on the boards sometimes refer to Stool Softeners as laxatives because it says right on the box, "Doesnt help you go, helps you go easier". These drugs supposedly just add water to the stool for easier passage. They arent stimulants.

So why cant I take them on a regular basis??

I am so confused, depressed and frustrated.

Old 04-15-2004, 11:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

DeeDeeWith3 HB User

I don't think stool softners are laxatives. You have to be careful because some stool softners have a laxative ingredient as well. Just use the one that is strictly a softner. I have never found them to be any help at all. You also mentioned the fiber supplements to NOT help you. All of these work differently for different people. Metamucil did not work for me, but Benefiber does and I take it everyday. I also drink Prune Juice with Pulp, eat a high fiber cereal in the am and try to drink more water even though it bloats me. Best of luck to you.

Old 04-16-2004, 10:08 PM   #6
Inactive

Asleep HB User

Colace is NOT a laxative. Absolutely 100% NOT. You do not need to worry about taking this every day or every other day. Straining is MUCH WORSE for you. Side effects are pretty uncommon.

You should not have a problem becoming "dependent" on them, if you quit taking them you will be in the same boat you are in now, meaning that you will have hard stools, no worse or better than now.

If your problem is hard stools, this should help. You can also try Magnesium supplements, which draw liquid into the bowel.

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread