It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2004, 09:30 AM   #1

cajunlady HB User
Unhappy IBS and diverticulitis

I had some cramping really bad and finally went to my gyn,she said that it wasnt my ovaries and it had to be my colon.I went to a GI and he said it sounded like IBS,(never heard of it before)constipation,bloating,and that he wanted to do a colonsopy,after drinking this horrid stuff to clean me out and fasting the day before ,I went in and he gave me a drip,and the nurse said you wont remember any of this she gave me something eles ,but the pain was intense for me,I was aware most of the time,he found a polyp removed it,and found the diverticulitis.He said it having IBS made it worse,he then put me on Zelnorm 2 times a day,and Pamine Forte 5 mgs 2 times a day. He did a blood test last week and wants to do a pelvic cscan this week my cramps are really bad at times,I have to drink Barium it cant taste as bad as that other stuff,I cant take magnesium as someone suggested on the board,I am on Neurontin for something unrelated to the IBS and diverticulitcs.He said no foods with seeds,tomatoes,peanuts etc. I am 50 5'3 130 lbs.He told me the IBS and diverticulits will never go away,that like heart patients having to take a aspirin a day the fiber will help some,I am taking Benefiber.Now i am depressed and nervous.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2004, 04:55 PM   #2

heidi1234 HB User
Re: IBS and diverticulitis

Hi,
I was just diagnosed with IBS and Diverticulosis. I don't have any infection yet so I don't have Diverticulitis. I can totally relate to you!! They found my condition because I went in due to the IBS. They scheduled a Barium Enema and found the Diverticulosis. I have the same diet restrictions as you do (no peanuts, seeds etc. and little processed food) I have been trying to eat tons of fiber and it has been helping the constipation associated with IBS. I am not on anything for the IBS becusae I am trying to control it with diet and I am only 26 years old. Anyway, I just wanted you to know that you are not alone. Thanks, Heidi
Also, Metamucil makes apple/cinnamon crackers that are really tasty and they have 7 g of fiber per serving. I eat them for breakfast and I think it is helping me a little. I also eat a ton of steamed vegetables with my dinner each night. I haven't had diarhea since I started, which is (to me) worse than the constipation!! So your doctor is right...the fiber will help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2004, 07:51 AM   #3

cajunlady HB User

Hi Heidi,Have you seen the commerical the lady is baking bread and said that Benafiber and Metumsil ferments in your stomach making gas worse? Maybe its just a sells pitch for the other brand.Anyway the apple/cinnamon cracker sounds great, thank you I will defintely try it! I have to drink the Barium tonight and again in the am for the pelvic csan tomorrow.Also the Pamine Forte causes me to be more constipated(it like a muscle relaxer) so I take it only when the pain gets bad.I have never heard of IBS before and thought only 'old' people got diverticulitis,that's how much I knew about it.Thanks for answering Heidi.I don't feel so alone now. I dont feel as scared.

Old 04-14-2004, 12:05 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kellie2 HB User

Many times, IBS and diverticulosis go hand in hand. You will find many people who have diverticulosis also have IBS. They think it's from the constipation that's usually associated with IBS...it puts pressure on the colon wall which in turn forms the pouches of diverticulosis. Yes, fiber will help both of these conditions but a healthy diet will also. And no, they don't go away but they can get markedly better to where you're not even aware you have them. Now, there's also some controversy regarding diet - some doctors still give out the 'no peanuts/no seeds/etc', but there are studies that have been done that show it really didn't make any difference in their patients as far as attacks went, so they see no reason to limit these things. I would say if you've had an actual attack, then the diet would be more in line, but not everyone who has this will have an attack. Also, if you start eating more fiber and taking very good care of yourself, you can stop it from getting any worse.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:52 AM   #5

cajunlady HB User

I heard that also peanuts,tomatoes etc,that some doctors agree on it and some dont. I'm not sure how much fiber to add,he was wanting to do blood test and order the ct scan so I didnt get to ask how much fiber to add.Is there such a thing as having to much fiber in your diet??

Old 04-16-2004, 04:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

snodove HB User

HI,
I have IBS C and I am wondering if I don't have Diverticulitis. What does it feel like.
My IBS hardly ever bothers me ... but lately I have about doubled over or close to it.
It is a sharp intermittant pain in my lower left side and sometimes my back. I take Zelnorm for the IBS. I thought I had a kidney stone which I have ,too, because the pain was so bad off on for the past few months. That is why I haven't gone to the doctor cuz if it would a stone I thought maybe I could pass it. I had a CT scan for kidney stones and I do have some but they are small and the doctor said they shouldn't bother me so now I am hoping to see what is going on soon.
My GP is out of town til March 26th so I guess I am just going to have to wait.
I hate not knowing and the pain gets worse at times than others. I don't think it is my IBS actually.
Thanks for listening and I would appreciate any suggestions. Polly

Closed Thread