It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2004, 08:01 PM   #1

Ibsux HB User
gas x vs. beano

Just for one night I need to put a stop to all the excessive gas. Has anyone tried beano? Is it effective on just plain gas, or was it only intended to help ingest gassy foods?

I've tried Gas-X, I feel it helps, but the pressure is still there.

I'm not sure what to do anymore! I avoid public situations because of the embarassment.

please help me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 07:23 AM   #2

luvmyboys HB User
Re: gas x vs. beano

Hi, I use phazyme the strongest I can get. Beano is meant to take with foods such as beans, broccoli, etc foods that can cause gas. It is a digestive enzyme and will not dissolve gas that is already there. I think the ingredient - simethicone - in phazyme is the same as in gas x, but I think phazyme comes in stronger dosages and doesn't have as many inactive ingredients that may cause problems. It works better for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 08:16 AM   #3

cowgal HB User

Hi, ya'll. I've found that plain old charcoal capsules help me more than anything on the killer gas, even that in the lower tract that seems to go nowhere but hurts so terribly. You can pick up a bottle at your health food stores with 100 caps for $10-12. You can't take any meds with them but if you pop a couple right after you eat you'll probably see some improvement. I've not had any of the OTC gas products including GasX or Phazyme help nearly as much as the charcoal. cg

Old 04-28-2004, 07:48 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Black Kat HB User

I also have a big problem with huge amounts of gas, but it tends to get lodged in my stomach. It causes pain on the right side of my back, just under my ribs. Does anyone else get this? My GI doc said to look for a product with 60-120 mg of Simethicone, & she said to take it 3 times a day. I started on Phasyme because it has 180 mg.

Old 04-28-2004, 08:34 PM   #5

Ibsux HB User

I have tried Gas X. It helps a little. Charcoal I wouldn't mind taking but during times when I need to take meds is tough.

Old 04-29-2004, 08:06 AM   #6

cowgal HB User

What I meant by not taking with the meds is you don't need to swallow them all together. If you take meds try taking them before the meal and the charcoal after. cg

Closed Thread