It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2004, 08:42 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

upshutter17 HB User
Anyone?

Hello, I finally went to the dr with my symptoms. I had an ultrasound, it was normal. I had to do those stool samples (2 days worth), and it was all normal....there was even no sign of inflammation. So now I need an Endoscopy and Colonoscopy. My dr also prescribed me Zelnorm, does anyone know anything about it? Has it helped? She believes I have IBS due to my symptoms, and bowel patterns. Any comments or info on Zelnorm? Thanks in advance.
Upshutter

Old 05-21-2004, 09:13 PM   #2

EverWondering HB User
Re: Anyone?

I was on Zelnorm for a month and a half, It didn't do anything for my symptoms, except cause them to be worse. (chroninc diharrea) soon after taking meds. while you first start the drug it will cause you to have diharrea for the first couple of days to a week.. then the side effect should diminish. In my case it didn't...

sorry I couldn't be more helpful..

good luck!
SR

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2004, 08:23 AM   #3

TimHeather HB User

I had Zelnorm for 2 days. The thing about Zelnorm is, is that it is meant for ppl with the constipation form of IBS. I used it for 2 days and I never left the toilet for more then ten mins. If you find this, ask your Dr. about Dicetel, It works wonders for me. I love it. My Dr. made the mistake of giving me Zelnorm and it says right on it for constipation forms of IBS. So I was kinda mad, but we all make mistakes. I don't think Dr.s know that much about IBS cause any of them I've talked to I seem to know more,,,lol. I guess you have to live it to know it. So try Dicetel. Serious, it's great! Also, you know when your having an attack and you get the really bad pains and spasams, there is a pill called buscopan. Take it when the attack starts. It calms down the bowle. It really helps. I wish I would have know about it a long time ago. I got the pills in Jan of 04 and my IBS started in Aug. of 03 so I went a good six months without knowing about this pill, why my Dr. didn't give it to me from the start I'll never know but at least I've got it now and life has been better with this IBS. Hope I've helped some what, good luck!!!

Old 05-22-2004, 03:52 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

upshutter17 HB User

Well, so far I took it yesterday (once) and nothing happened. I was just farting more. So far today (3:48pm) I took it this morning and nothing has happened. My doc said to take it once a day, if it hasn't done anything, then to take it twice. So I guess we'll se what happens. So far, nothing...just bad gas. Thanks for the replies guys. The girls who schedule at my doc's office said it worked wonders for them. So hopefully after I take it the second time it will work. Anyone out there with the constipation form of IBS?

Also, what causes IBS? I know it's Irritible Bowel Syndrome.....but like why do we get it? Anywho, thanks guys!
Upshutter

Old 05-22-2004, 06:30 PM   #5

TimHeather HB User

I don't think anyone really knows Y we get it, it just kinda happens and that's all we know and it sucks. Mine started after my son was born and I strongly believe it had something to do with having a baby. For others I don't know, maybe you had a change in your life your body, that started it or hey maybe it came outta nowhere, I think that is usually the way it go's. Take care.

Old 05-22-2004, 08:23 PM   #6
Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi guys,

I guess some of you might know that I think IBS is purely a stress thing... I've had it for years and I've managed to rid myself of some of that stress. Still working on it though. If anyone should find any different and a cure we can all live with comes out of it - I'm all ears. Nothing I'd love to do but wake up in the morning, knowing I'm not going to face that stress ever again. (Of course, I'm referring to subliminal stresses, that we don't currently have any literature about or understanding of).

As for the pulse in the stomach - I can't quite remember whether I've had that one or not - not that I've ever been pregnant, being a guy. I do get throbbing pulses almost anywhere - I just can't predict where it'll be - and then only until I find a way to stop it - and then it changes it's location again.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 05-23-2004, 10:50 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

upshutter17 HB User

Stress seems like a good theory though. I'm not that old, no where near having a baby. Except I do have a panic disorder....I bet that has something to do with it. Besides medications, what helps you guys? Or does anything at all help?
Upshutter

Old 05-23-2004, 07:00 PM   #8

TimHeather HB User

I guess stress is a cause for some people but it never seems to bother me when I'm stressed out. It just comes when it feels like it or if I eat something I shouldn't. I have a friend who when she gets stressed out she has bad attacks but I guess that's why were all differant.

Old 05-26-2004, 12:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

UT_mom HB User

Hello, I have the constipation form of IBS (at least I hope it's IBS and not something more). I am testing currently for a number of other things and my symptoms are more in line with Crohns disease but my primary problem is constipation!! I took Zelnorm for two weeks about a year ago and it didn't do a thing for me at all. I can't even begin to tell you why I might have whatever it is that I have because it makes no sense to me at all. It seems that a lot of people are high anxiety or have panic disorder but that's not me at all. Regarding your tests, from what I was told recently by my new PCP, IBS is an exclusionary diagnosis. Basically they test for everything else and if it's all negative then it's IBS. From my understanding though IBS is difficult to treat and cramping to anyone's quality of life but it could be so much worse. The other diseases they test for which so far you've been excluded from are much more serious (although easier to treat w/ specific treatments and meds to use) and can become very serious requiring surgery or worse cancer treatment if they lead to colon cancer. Good luck to you. I hope you find a way to deal with your symptoms effectively, I'm still looking for that myself. Hope all your tests go well!

Old 05-26-2004, 07:49 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

upshutter17 HB User

Thanks Caden for your response. Universal truth is there always is something worse...of course.

Zelnorm makes me go....bad! Like it just wants to shoot out. Hopefully I'll start to feel better.

TimHeather thanks for your response. I think I feel like your friend.

Hopefully my tests are fine...and hopefully I don't have something WAY worse.
Have a good day.
Upshutter

Old 05-27-2004, 02:15 AM   #11

Avona HB User

before I was actualy diagnosed, my doctor gave that to me to help with the spasms but needles to say it did not work. Sorry!

Closed Thread