It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2004, 09:03 PM   #1

i'mstuck HB User
body image issues

I've had body issues for a long time, but the bloating caused by IBS is making it extra hard for me. I can only see myself as fat becuase my stomach is constantly distended past my breasts, and my waist has become pretty much the same size as my hips. I just need to vent, and was hoping any of you could empathise with this. It's making it difficult for me too eat the regular meals i'm supposed to in order to help my IBS. Has anyone had experience with this and did it go away for you after you started medication? I'd really like some reassurance that things will get better. I've been on Zelnorm for a week. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2004, 10:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
Re: body image issues

I know exactly how you feel! I am only 25 and I weigh 145 a flat stomach on good days! Sometimes I feel fat! actually it is all of the time. It is because of the bloating, When I am in the shower or in front of the mirror, I don't even want to look! I am going on a houseboat with my husband and some friends in july and I am scared of looking fat!! I am taking digestive enzymes and a probiotic and trying to eat well although sometimes it is hard to do! I am going to the gym, sometimes it is hard to work out because I look 5 months pregnant!!!!! I have ibs c/d. Don't give up! It sucks big time but try and hang in there. It is so very frustrating and sometimes I feel like crying but you have to keep a positive attitude even though it is hard. Just keep trying differant things and ways to help yourself. You will get through this!!! we all will
Carly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2004, 01:12 AM   #3

Avona HB User

Yep I too can simpathise with you. On my worst days I don't usualy go out, but on this one day I did. I seen a long time friend of mine and she took one look at me and asked me if i was pregnant. I was floored ( bare in mind I am only 19). And in my younger years I had lets say body issues and this has proven to be a true test for me and I imagine you to but all you have to do is accept it, and go on with your day. I know its not that easy but it realy does make it alot easier. Cheer up!

Last edited by Avona; 06-01-2004 at 01:13 AM.

Old 06-01-2004, 02:42 PM   #4

i'mstuck HB User

You know i think this is forcing me to face one of my biggest fears- being fat. There is nothing i can do about my big tummy, so i have to. You are right, i have to learn to go on with my day and stop caring about what others think. Sometimes we get just what we need. I still have days where i don't go out too, and often times i don't go out to clubs becuase i can't hide my stomach.

Old 06-01-2004, 07:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Hi everyone,
I can also sympathize. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with my digestion, but right now, I have all the symptoms of IBS with constipation. I won't go to the bathroom for 5 days, and you should SEE my stomach! It IS embarrassing, I definitely agree. I've a little bit underweight from all of my digestive problems (5'4" or 5'5", 110 lbs.) but I have also been asked if I'm pregnant! How insulting! Avona, I'm only 19, too...
~Katalina

Old 06-01-2004, 10:01 PM   #6
Inactive

ladivapr HB User

I always have had a little tummy and Im happy with it. I look good with it. If I loose weight to where the tummy dissapears I look too skinny so as long as I see my tummy I feel Im healthy. I was scared to death because of the ibs last year where I lost precious 10 lbs (from 132 to 121 at 5'6). I think with each dierreah attack I thought I lost about 2 lbs with each. It was the most horrible thing in the world for me. Im soo paranoid of loosing weight. Im so glad Im as fat as I was before the ibs-d got started. I still praise the lord for it. There is hope guys!

Old 06-02-2004, 01:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

ladivapr,
I know what you mean! I hate having a bloated tummy, but I'm always trying to keep above 115lbs. constantly! I have IBS-C, too, so you would think I might GAIN weight...

Old 06-02-2004, 09:05 PM   #8
Inactive

ladivapr HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solstice1221
ladivapr,
I know what you mean! I hate having a bloated tummy, but I'm always trying to keep above 115lbs. constantly! I have IBS-C, too, so you would think I might GAIN weight...
Oh yes you can gain weight! You got to hit the gym, with weight training I gained about 25 lbs when I was younger. Im now bought a mountain bike and running in the woods, gosh its great exercise and great for the bowels specially those with ibs-c cause that helps so much with moving the bowels.
Ibs-C is no threath to loose weight its the ibs-D type which can make you loose weight fast.

Old 06-03-2004, 06:26 PM   #9

Avona HB User

: It's go do see that I am not the only yougin' on this forum. How long have you had it? Well I am very glad I could help. So girls just keep your chin up, and when you feel down reach far far down in to your pocket and grab a smile 'cause evryone has a spair one.

Last edited by Avona; 06-03-2004 at 06:27 PM.

Old 06-09-2004, 09:00 PM   #10

Dimaki HB User

I thought it was only me, I constantly feel fat and look fat when I look in the mirror. My boyfriend says I look fine but I feel huge. Especially when I go out, it's hard to find clothes that will make me look like I used to. My dr. says it's mostly the foods, like the dairy and today recommended the lactaid with every meal incase it's something like Doritos, which you don't normally consider dairy.

I do know how you feel, don't really know what to do about it, but starting today I am going to keep track of everything I eat and see what happens....you should too

Closed Thread