It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2004, 08:01 AM   #1
Inactive

moz HB User
Question Are any of you IBSers on pain meds for the cramps?

Are any of you IBSers on pain meds for the cramps? Mine are severe and I'm taking Oxycodone very cautiously and of course it works. It also helps the D pretty well too. Antispazs have failed something horrible for me. SSRI's seem to help a little and I emphasize a little? Just curious.

Regards,

Moz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2004, 01:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User
Post Re: Are any of you IBSers on pain meds for the cramps?

I've had IBS-D for about four years now and when I was diagnoised by a Gastrointologist, my doctor put me on pain meds to slow the bowels down and to help with the pain associated with the cramping. I've been on several and unfortunately have built quite a tolerance, but right now he has me on 180 mgs of Methadone a day. I also have Lomatil and Cholestyramine for when things get really bad. Clorlestyramine is a powder you mix with juice, soda, or like I do, Gatorade. I works really well for me, but you have to be careful you don't take too much or you'll be stopped up for several days.

Oxycodone worked pretty well for me, but my doctor went to Oxycontin, so it would last longer. I only had to take that three times a day. I then used Oxycodone for BT pain. If the Oxycodone works for you, you mights as well stay with it until you need to make a jump up to something else.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, just let me know and I'll try to answer them for you.

Last edited by RetiredDirector; 06-09-2004 at 12:42 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-06-2004, 11:22 PM   #3

krisey HB User
Re: Are any of you IBSers on pain meds for the cramps?

Okay, they have me on Bentyl, and it seems to work really well for the pain. The only drawback, you can have headaches after the pill wears off.

Old 06-07-2004, 08:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

snodove HB User

Hi, My GI doctor just put me on that too. Bentyl and it doesn't help me. I used to be on Levsin and it didnt' do much either. I went for years withut problems til recently again.Polly

Old 06-09-2004, 12:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

I went through the Bentyl thing too. It didn't seem to work at all. I also was on a couple others, but I can't come up with the names. One was pulled from the market by the FDA about three years ago. That's when my doc went to the pain meds, I think we started with Hydrocodone then Oxycodone and on to stronger ones (long acting) as my tolerance was built up.

Everyone's different, so if Bentyl or others like it work that's great. I happen to have severe cramping and pain, hence the pain meds which also slow the bowels.

Old 06-09-2004, 06:23 PM   #6

Gtpchic31 HB User

hi, im on levsin. It sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. I also tried the bentyal and another kind i cant remember the name. They didnt work anyways. Prolly like 6 years ago i was given a pill that made it compeletly go away. I took it after i ate. but they dont make it anymore and levsin is the closest from the doc says.

Closed Thread