It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2004, 11:21 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
My uncle is in the hospital!

Last night at about 1:00 am, My uncle went to the e.r with severe stomach pain. He has a tear in his colon. He has been in and out of doctors office and they diagnosed him with diverticulitis(I don't think that is how it's spelled). They just gave him antibiotic and sent him on his way. Now he has had bowel leaking into his blood stream for quite a while, It is very inflamed and they can't do emergency surgery because of this. This is very scary because he had all of the symptoms of ibs except he develoved a fever. Sometimes doctors scare me because They always asume that it is fine!!! My doctor ordered me a colonoscopy right away but they did not do this for my uncle and he went months untill last night happened and now the it is very serious and life threatning.I think it is important to get checked out! I just wanted to share this and if anyone has any info on this please let me know, I would like to share this with my family. Also please pray that it will be fine. thanks
Carly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2004, 11:55 AM   #2
Veteran

6th_sense HB User
Re: My uncle is in the hospital!

Hi Carly,

The hospital system can be very reactionary, rather than pro-active. I'm sure your uncle would have benefited from a colonoscopy - I don't understand why it took so long for them to have one done. Either way, I guess you have to leave it to the hospital system to work its way out of the problem - Hopefully everything is covered?

My "personal opinion" is that it is possible to develop tears in the intestine - especially if you suffer from allergies. I used to have a small tear that kept opening in the past. I know that Benadryl is the only thing that has helped me well in the past in extreme situations. I don't know anything about your uncle's situation though, and I don't know anything about diverticulitis - so don't quote me. Well, I hope your uncle gets better.

Good luck Carly, Raju.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2004, 12:30 PM   #3

luvmyboys HB User

Hi Carly - it's me the other temperature taking fanatic - remember?

I am sorry to hear about your uncle. My grandpa had this at one time only it was done during a colonoscopy and they didn't even know they did it until later that night he had such severe pain he couldn't walk. They did do emergency surgery on him at midnight. He went through months of bowel problems and bleeding after that. He is okay now, but my mother was ready to sue the doctors. I hope and will pray that your uncle will make a full recovery.

Old 06-01-2004, 09:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you, Doctors these days scare me, My grandma almost died from appendicitis!! My uncle is the stubborn type and didn't want to take tests! It is worse now, We found out that he has thyroid cancer as well, They did a biopsy on it a month ago and we JUST GOT THE RESULTS. A lot to deal with and my family has decided to wait on telling him about the cancer untill his bowels clear up. Thanks for the prayers.
Carly

Old 06-02-2004, 01:31 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Carly,
I'm so sorry abour uncle! I wish you and him both the best. That must be soooo terrifying for your uncle and the whole family. How do you go about getting a tear in your colon? That's so scary. I absolutely agree with you that doctors do often just assume that everything is fine, especially if you have IBS symptoms because it is so often referred to as having a nervous stomach. Grrr, that makes me so mad.
Good luck and best wishes,
Katalina

Old 06-02-2004, 09:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks, I am not sure how it happened but it had to do with the diverticulitis. It causes pockets in your colon and can tear if you eat the wrong food. I am looking for a new doctor now because the one my uncle was seeing that decided not to call him about having cancer is the one my husband and I see. It is so freaking hard to find a doc who generaly cares about your health and doesn't find you a bother or acts as if you are not important and in my case since I have a panic disorder I get that a lot.
Carly

Closed Thread