It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2004, 07:12 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User
Question Fiber and starting off slowly

Hi everyone,
I have IBS C. (So far, we think that's PARTIALLY what it is.) Anyway, I attempted to take Citrucel and took it for about two days and didn't "go" for three days after that. It made my situation much worse. I was so bloated and gassy I didn't know WHAT to do. I definitely agree that I need fiber as my diet consists mostly of meat and some veggies and a bit of rice. I drink more than enough water (at least 10 8oz. glasses per day) and I'm still constipated. I've been taking Milk Of Magnesia about twice a week to go the bathroom, but it's really not working anymore. I also occasionally do enemas when the situation becomes unbearable. Anyway, should I start out drinking a half a glass of Citrucel a day and slowly increase the dosage? Should I take Citrucel WITH Milk of Magnesia if it becomes absolutely necessary to do so? I'm going to cut down on the amount of protein I eat, too, but it's just WAY too much, and I'm hoping that might help. Does fiber take a while to start working?
Thanks,
Katalina

Old 06-01-2004, 09:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Fiber and starting off slowly

Hey Kat,
Citrucel is a semisynththtic fiber( Methycellulose) that does not undergo digestion like bacteria fermatation or breakdown so it should cause alot less problems with gas, bloating and flatulence--

I would expect that with psyllium but not Citrucel. Slow is always better!!

Take care---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 06-01-2004 at 09:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2004, 10:30 PM   #3
Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hello Solstice,

Do you suffer from hard stools constipation or just can't go, but have normal stools. If you suffer from hard stools, the best way to help your constipation may be to take a quarter of a pill of Bile salts with your meals.

Bile is naturally produced by the liver and slowly introduced into the intestines by the gall bladder. It acts as both a laxative for the intestines and it helps in the digestion of fats. This is in addition to controlling water retention in the food moving through the intestine. Too much bile will contribute to loose stools, while too little will contribute to hard stools. If you take a quarter of a pill along with your meals you can help control hard stools while possibly helping you with the gas.

It is important, however, not to take bile salts outside of meals because it doesn't evenly spread in the food causing all sorts of traffic jams (food wise), and causing a lot of bloating. It is also important not to take the bile salts unless you are pretty sure you will suffer from hard stool constipation. It can cause normal stools to turn to diarrhea and it can cause an attack of diarrhea to become severe - which is also why you should only start with a quarter of a pill (split one with a pill splitter) with a meal and adjust your dosage as you get more comfortable with its effects.

IBS is often characterized by the type of bowel movements that occur - which is why people refer to it as IBS - C or IBS - D. It is caused, in my opinion by the irritation of two nerves in the brain, which causes the gall bladder to misbehave. Depending on which nerve is irritated you may suffer from either diarrhea or constipation. The key is to see if you can detect a pattern and use the tools available to help control your bout of constipation or diarrhea (whatever the case may be) ahead of time.

Bile salts are available OTC (over the counter) and are typically used by those who have had their gall bladders removed. You should be able to find it at a local drugstore or in a natural food store.

Well, I hope this helps you. And if not, I hope someone else can lend a helping hand that does help.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 06-02-2004, 12:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

GettingWellAgain HB User

Thank you, Harry You've been a REALLY wonderful help lately.
Raju, I "just can't go" and I also have extremely hard stools. ALWAYS. I'm going to absolutely try bile salts. Milk of Magnesia makes me feel kind of nauseous now (I think part of that is psychological b/c I'm really starting to despise that taste), I can't use Mineral Oil often, I don't want to take stimulant laxatives, stool softeners like Colace do nothing for me, and enemas aren't healthy to do very often and aren't exactly comfortable. Now, will I experience any side effects from bile salts? I already suffer from pretty frequent nausea and I would think that bile in the stomach would make me sick. I'm only saying this because I've heard others say that bile gets dumped into their stomachs and that is what makes them so sick. I also have acid reflux, but that's mostly when I eat a food that I'm allergic to (which is pretty much every day or every other day STILL!). Anyway, bile salts really might be a lifesaver, I'm just worried about getting a really sick stomach, though.
Thanks!
Katalina

Closed Thread