It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2004, 08:47 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

daystar91 HB User
Will it ever get better????

Hi,
Does IBS ever go away???I thought that it did and then the other night i was just so cramped over, i felt like i was dying.....I haven't had any problems for sometime but all of a sudden it has come back....
When i first notice there was a problem i was so cramped over that i couldn't move.....I thought it was my impendix at the time not know nothing about IBS.....This pain went on for days and then i got to the point where i felt like i was going to vomit....At the same time i was sweating[which i never do]and feeling like i'm going to pass out....Is this normal with IBS???When i went to the doctors he kind of just gave me some medication and send me on my way.....I'm suppose to take it before every meal.....My doctor did have a sonagram done on my lower adomin....
I just can't take the pain any more....The medication works but as like all medications they take time to work....It's gone for now but i dread it if it returns....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2004, 08:53 PM   #2

Dimaki HB User
Re: Will it ever get better????

It doesn't normally go away, it can get better but after you change your diet and get some medicine, apparently. Unless you're like me and it comes back with medicine I guess I have to change my diet, seriously. And so should you. What kind of medicine did he give you? I take levsin, which works for the most part, but not completely. Lay off the dairy, if you haven't already. Check out the links posted and try a diet change. Stress triggers it, and food, stuff like that. I don't know if feeling like passing out is normal, but back when I didn't take any medicine I did sort of feel like that. I do get nauseous, passing out feeling is normally when I haven't eaten.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2004, 06:57 AM   #3
Inactive

spongebob_mom HB User

Yes, I get the sweats and feel like passing out during what I call one of my IBS "attacks". It's awful. I usually end up taking all my clothes off on the toilet because I'm sweating so bad! And then afterwards, I get the chills and usually have to take a warm bath.

IBS is certainly no fun, but you can find ways to help yourself. Everyone is different - certain meds might help, or changing your diet or stress level.

I can understand your pain,
Jane

Old 06-14-2004, 12:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

daystar91 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaki
It doesn't normally go away, it can get better but after you change your diet and get some medicine, apparently. Unless you're like me and it comes back with medicine I guess I have to change my diet, seriously. And so should you. What kind of medicine did he give you? I take levsin, which works for the most part, but not completely. Lay off the dairy, if you haven't already. Check out the links posted and try a diet change. Stress triggers it, and food, stuff like that. I don't know if feeling like passing out is normal, but back when I didn't take any medicine I did sort of feel like that. I do get nauseous, passing out feeling is normally when I haven't eaten.
Hi,
The doctor gave me Clidinium/CDP capsules, i'm suppose to take them three times a day basically before every meal....When i take these pills when i'm having pains it doesn't help my stomach pains at all....I tried to change my meal habits....I know they say that caffine and dairy you should stay away from but is there any thing else that you should not eat???I know that if i eat like anything from a fast food restaurant i get stomach aches....I actaully stayed away from caffine, except chocolate every now and then.... Here's an embrassing question, what is a normal bowel movement suppose to be like weekly say for example???

Old 06-14-2004, 09:36 PM   #5
Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi daystar,

Sorry about all the pain and symptoms. IBS really sucks man. I have friends for whom it magically "went away". Don't know how that happened. I do know that I've been able to survive on a self-made cure... But I never know when it is going to fail completely. It does occasionally, and then I suffer until I find my way out again - so I go from having total remission to the opposite end of the scale - luckily my methods have for the most part kept me from dying (I think).

Let me know if there is a way out that'll beat my system of being constantly on the brink... In the meanwhile, I hope someone finds something that I can live with better than this.

Cheers, Raju.

Old 06-16-2004, 01:39 PM   #6

BoiseBlues HB User

I understand how much pain you're in. Something that I take consistently are peppermint gel caps. Try taking two before you eat anything. They will also help most of the time if you take them mid-pain, but work better if taken before the pain sets in. I have also found that a heating pad seems to help. My severe pain finally eased, but I still have some very bad days. I am now intolerant to almost all food except Boca chicken nuggets and cottage cheese (low fat). I can't eat during the day (I can't take the chance of being incapacitated while at work, running errands or have anything else to do). My solution has been to eat only after work (a couple of Boca chicken nuggets and about a cup of cottage cheese). That seems to control the pain but I'm now down to 101 pounds (I'm 5'4") and look like walking death. I really don't know what else to do, though - I have to be able to function. I've tried all the things that doctors and other IBSers have suggested (rice, oatmeal, etc.), but these things don't work for me. I know that it is a very personalized disorder and what works for some doesn't work for others. Unfortunately it's hit and miss in the food department. Do try the peppermint capsules, though, because I've had good results with them. I get them at a health food store and they're not expensive.

Old 06-22-2004, 12:02 PM   #7

yudy HB User

Hello,

It is very strange that some people with IBS seem to "grow out of it". While some don't. I know that in my case I develop IBS while I was taking antacid. I took it for many months. I than realized how much weight I was losing and how weak I felt.

I than went to an alternative doctor. And within a month a was able to digest my foods better and had gain some of my weight back. And of course I stopped taking those antacid, which they could really cause similar symptoms of IBs.

I still do have my bad days, but not as frequent as it was before. I know I'm not complety cured, I think with my improvement I'm in the right path.

Old 06-22-2004, 03:40 PM   #8

lionphish HB User

With did your alternative doctor advise you to do to get better?

Old 11-10-2006, 06:01 PM   #9
(male)

willtur1218 HB User

hey, i am 20 about to turn 21 in december and ive been dealing with what they call IBS for 6 years. Now ill agree that i do have a nervous stomach but it cant be what the doctors think. One year ago i bruised my kidney and tore all the muscles up the right side of my stomach working out to hard. The thing is, is that i was required to go lay in bed for 3 months finally got the muscle better, but my stomach itself still has massive pains at the worst times. Im almost starting to think that its my clindinium that is messing my body up. After 6 catscans and 3 mri 's they came to the conclusion that it was a torn erectus muscle but i know its much more than that. Its sad because the only thing that can help my pain are lortabs, etc. And i hate having to rely on that everyday in order to get my job done. And now i have realized that my IBS medicine has me hooked and i dont know what to do, because if i stop taking it i get sick. SO if anyone has any experience in this please let me know, its hard to keep a life when you always feel bad.
Please dont take this as a sob story i just need some info from someone who isnt a doctor, and might care about other people besides themselves

Old 11-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
(male)

willtur1218 HB User

ive been on clindinium for 4 years just be careful because you will become dependent on the drug if you follow the Dr.'s directions. ( I promise) It has happened to me so now when i try not to take it i get even more sick all day long, they wont just be episodes anymore. Just make sure the positives out weigh the negatives in this situation. Thats what happened to me and now i cant get up with out one

Closed Thread