It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2004, 11:42 AM   #1

Jessica CFS/IBS HB User
need help...pressure in my back from gas...

I have had gas pressure in my back for three months now. It started all of a sudden one day and it never goes away and sometimes it's a burning pain along my spine. It travels around under my shoulder blades, over my shoulders, down my spine, around my tailbone. Now I've developed a similar pressure in my lower right abdomen. I also have diarrhea just about every day, usually two to four times a day. I've been to the gastroenterologist and was tested for bacterial or fungal infection and it was negative. My abdomen is often rolling and growling with gas and spasms. I'm on acidophilus, Nutrizyme (a vitamin with some digestive enzymes), Caprilic acid, LipoOptitropic, and just started licorice root. I've had IBS for 11 years and have had gas problems in the past, but nothing like this. It's just not going away, even when I pass gas, the pressure is somewhat decreased but everpresent. It's eroding my sanity. I've changed my diet by cutting out wheat, dairy, oats, corn, according to the blood-type diet by Peter D'Adamo. I'm seeing a naturopathic physician out of desperation. My GI doc prescribed Levbid but that just turned the pressure into a hot, burning pain and made passing gas next to impossible. Then I tried Charcoal Plus, per his instruction, but that just made my diarrhea worse and really did nothing to decrease the pressure. I'm at a loss. I see the GI doc again tomorrow but don't really expect him to help much. He'll probably prescribe a colonoscopy to examine my bowels and remove a small polyp he found years ago during a sigmoidoscopy. (Did I mention that I'm only 26!) I'm leery of any more drugs since I had such a bad experience with the Levbid. Please don't suggest exercise to relieve the gas because I'm barely able to brush my teeth standing up most days. I just don't have the strength or stamina. I'm averaging about four or five hours of sleep every night which is taking a toll on my CFS.
Has anyone had a similar experience? How did you find relief? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2004, 10:49 AM   #2

snethenj HB User
Re: need help...pressure in my back from gas...

Jessica, I could have written your post! I logged onto the boards this morning to see if anyone had posted about daily gas and pressure. I'm sitting here at work, and completely miserable. EVERY SINGLE DAY I wake up with gas and go to bed with it. I, like you, have changed my diet and that has not helped. I am even going to a naturopath out of desperation, too! Had my first appt. on Wed. of this week, and it cost me $250 out of pocket. We did not do anything more than talk, and he wants to run a bunch of tests on me before we proceed. I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy next month, but my GI is not concerned....she thinks it's just really bad IBS. I have mostly constipation, but have had very loose stools the past few days. Along with the loose stools I have HORRIBLE gas!!! The bloating and pressure is unbearable at times. I sit here at my desk and feel it travel around my back, my shoulder blades, etc. And did I mention, I am young, like you? I am only 28 years old! I work full-time, am finishing my doctorate, and am a single mom to a 2 1/2 year old little girl. This is ruining my life, as I constantly feel sick, bloated and miserable. The gas is incredibly painful at times, too.

I don't have any suggestions for you, as I am searching for help, too! I, like you, am desperate. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. Hopefully someone else on here will be able to help us!

Take care.

Jamie

Old 06-12-2004, 09:53 AM   #3

Jessica CFS/IBS HB User

Hi Jamie,

Thank you SO much for replying. Finally, someone can identify with me! I saw my GI doc yesterday and he still doesn't think the pressure in my back is related to gas because he's never heard of such a thing. So what? Just because he's never heard of it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Wish I'd seen your post before I went to the appt. Anyway, he was actually very nice and I could tell he was taking me seriously, even though we differed on what might actually be causing the pressure. He gave me two things to try. The first is called Equalactin and I think it's OTC. It's calcium polycarbophil and the box actually says that it relieves IBS symptoms. It's supposed to provide the bowel with the right amount of water. Too much water (or fluid) causes diarrhea, too little causes constipation. He said to try this for a couple days and if it works, buy stock in it (haha), and if it doesn't work try something called Viokase 16. This is a drug that provides enzymes for the pancreas. The enzymes are: lipase, protease, and amylase. I guess IBS sufferers sometimes need more enzymes than a normal person to make the pancreas operate properly. (Hmm, whoops it comes from "porcine origins" and I'm not supposed to eat anything from a pig on my diet. Oh well! I'll ask my naturopath if there's an alternative. If not, and this works, tough nuts to my diet.)
So neither of these things are specific to relieving gas but I'm hoping that if my bowels start working properly that the gas will be resolved as well. Please God, let it work! Also, I've been scheduled for an X-ray of my small intestines to make sure there's nothing wrong with them. I'm also scheduled for a colonoscopy at the end of July. These are just to rule out anything like an inflammation of the bowels (or a tumor, though he didn't say that!) Oh, and he also had me get tested for Celiac Sprue, again. I'll probably find out the results of that next week sometime. Just out of curiosity, what's your blood type? Now that I'm on this blood-type diet, I'm always curious to know. I hope that you can find some relief, too. It's so frustrating when doctors brush you off just because they don't have the answer. I'm so sick of dr's just passing the buck. Honestly, sometimes I have more faith in my naturopath than in my MD just because she tries to treat me as whole person, rather than just my symptoms. She's not afraid if she doesn't have the answer but rather is willing to try different things, confer with other docs, and recognizes that she doesn't know everything! She's really nice too. I hope your naturopath turns out to be helpful. Where do you live? I live in upstate NY in the Rochester region.
I'll be praying for you.
Jessica

Old 06-14-2004, 09:26 PM   #4
Veteran

6th_sense HB User

Hi guys,

I just noticed of late that what you describe is partially what I am going through at times as well! I get a lot of pain around the left chest area though and sometimes on the back in a big circle just below the left shoulder blade - Dunno, I keep getting rid of it, but it keeps coming back, as soon as I start doing something that requires my concentration. Well, I hope you guys can find a way out of your troubles. I'll make my prayers out for you guys as well. Hopefully your blood type diets or your Naturopath will be able to help you.

- Raju -

Closed Thread